Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sphynx is peeing outside of the litterbox. Help!!

HarrytheCat

Lairian
About two months ago we came back from a month long trip from Thailand and when we got back we noticed that Harry was not peeing in the litter after a few days we brought him to the vet. His bladder was fine but we got his urine checked and there was Crystals. So the vet told us to give him urinary wet food and urinary solid food . The issue though is that Harry has a sensitive stomach and we kept him on the diet he's been on for three years. And the urinary food has a bunch of garbage in it. We been giving him a little bit of wet food mixed with his old diet. He seem to be fine but he has been meowing like crazy lately which I thought was due to him wanting more and more wet food. Today we noticed that there was no Pee in the litter and we found that he had been peeing on the snowboard bag in the same room. Does anyone know what is going on with him?? Thanks in advance

Ps. Harry is neutered

HarrytheCat

Lairian
I would get a vet check. It could be crystals again. This info might be of help. Sphynx pooping or peeing outside the litter box

Our one girl is on prescriptive food due to crystals and our vet said we cannot even give normal treats or it cancels what the prescriptive food should be doing.

Patti
He isn't meowing while peeing... Just been meowing a lot more then usual during the day. Just more talkative.
Yea we stopped giving treats. Is the prescriptive food the urinary food?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it is. Cats that are susceptible to URI's and crystals just have to stay strictly on it. If you notice him peeing more frequently it could already be an infection/crystals. With male cats it can be even more life threatening. Stay close to it. Has he peed outside of the box again? Did you buy an enzymatic cleaner? If not, they tend to keep going back to the same spot. @HarrytheCat

HarrytheCat

Lairian
Yes it is. Cats that are susceptible to URI's and crystals just have to stay strictly on it. If you notice him peeing more frequently it could already be an infection/crystals. With male cats it can be even more life threatening. Stay close to it. Has he peed outside of the box again? Did you buy an enzymatic cleaner? If not, they tend to keep going back to the same spot. @HarrytheCat
He peed a few droplets in his litter today. Took the lid off.
What is this cleaner?
Also. The issue with the urinary food is that it doesn't sit well with him because of his sensitive stomach

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well hopefully taking the kid off the litter helps. Maybe he doesn't like it covered?

I'm assuming the cleaner is one that is specifically designed to breakdown what's in the pee abd completely get rid of it.

Awe :(

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I know when our girl had issues, we too only saw droplets of pee. The crystals irritate them so much they feel they have to pee but can't. I would definitely see a vet. A member on here bought a cheap ladle at the dollar store and was able to collect urine that way in order for it to be tested. If the crystals become too large they actually can create a blockage and males are at a very high risk.

A great cleaner is called Natures Miracle. @HarrytheCat

Patti

540cc88abd425364907d836a03a9034d.jpg

HarrytheCat

Lairian
We Already saw a vet and there was crystals in his Pee and he was prescribed urinary foods. But the issue here is that the ingredients in the urinary food is not good for hairy so I don't know what to do

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy you went to the vet. Crystals can be very serious. Is it that your cat does not prefer the food or other issues? Your vet might be able to prescribe another brand/option. Again kudos to you for going to the vet.

HarrytheCat

Lairian
So happy you went to the vet. Crystals can be very serious. Is it that your cat does not prefer the food or other issues? Your vet might be able to prescribe another brand/option. Again kudos to you for going to the vet.
I thought that any sphinx shouldn't have Grains and a lot of urinary foods have Grains. It's not that he doesn't prefer it

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
According to my vet, there hasn't been a ton of research into gluten intolerance in animals, and the studies done show it is very rare.

He also explained that cats do eat grains in the wild when they ate animals - they pick up grass, whatever is in the animal and so on.

You have to do what is good for your baby. My girl is on a stomach food at the moment and the first ingredient is rice, wasn't too impressed. But it has fixed up her poop. So you gotta feed what works.

I hope you can figure out something for your baby ❤️

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
According to my vet, there hasn't been a ton of research into gluten intolerance in animals, and the studies done show it is very rare.

He also explained that cats do eat grains in the wild when they ate animals - they pick up grass, whatever is in the animal and so on.

You have to do what is good for your baby. My girl is on a stomach food at the moment and the first ingredient is rice, wasn't too impressed. But it has fixed up her poop. So you gotta feed what works.

I hope you can figure out something for your baby ❤️

Imo them picking up a few bits of grass and the majority of their food being grain is pretty different so I don't really buy the explanation. There is no research proving food consisting primarily of grains is a healthy diet for cats and there's plenty of research about felines being obligate carnivores (eg not able to extract nutrition from plants) and cats' digestive systems have not changed almost at all from the wild cats they originate from so there's no reason to believe they'd do well on anything that a carnivore would not eat. It's not just about gluten, the problem is that when you feed an animal that derives nutrition solely from meat and does not get anything from plants more plants than you feed them meat you are burdening their digestive system with a lot of bulk for very little reward, the constant stress on their digestive system will cause parts of it to lose some or all function much earlier than their natural lifespan should be. IBD, chronic kidney failure, etc. Very common problems and causes of death for feline pets. Remember aging isn't just dependent on time, it's the amount of work your body especially your organs have to do and the wear and tear they go through and that is controllable largely by diet, same for cats.

To answer OP's problem:

"
YOU DON'T need to use prescription cat food for urinary problems

If your cat is suffering from struvite crystals and maybe has had a blockage, be sure to test the urine for ph. If the ph is too alkaline, you need to make it more acidic. Generally speaking, cats on a raw diet have a more acidic urine but we have one young female and young cats are prone to stress related idiopathic cystitis and sometimes get crystals. Our Sweetie Pie did. So, the vet asked me to use L methionine which is safe if used only so long as the cat has crystals or symptoms: It worked like a charm: Here is a good site which explains how to use it:

WellVet.com - LMethionine"

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great info @celsei. For me using the prescription food makes it easier as I am not having to test etc. I am also very fortunate that my girl tolerates and likes the food. I know there are so many debates about prescriptive food and the costs and who has their hands in the till. Great point there are other ways around the issue.

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Also monitor his peeing carefully, the few drops part scares me - if he's only peeing a few drops or not at all for a day or more or has any pinkish coloring/bloody drops or he's not wanting to move much/lethargic get him help ASAP - I lost a young castrated dudecat to an urinary blockage when I was younger not knowing the signs and still feel horribly guilty about it, we took him into surgery when we realized but he died the day after. It was only a few days of him being off, things can go south quickly when they can't get pee out

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

Since he's already having issues, I would keep him on wet food only.
Forever. Because he's getting just moisture and if he eats dry
That will require more moisture. Water intake, a lot.
A Vet at the University of Tn, told me this. As long
as it's only wet it doesn't have to be the Urinary diet.

HarrytheCat

Lairian

Since he's already having issues, I would keep him on wet food only.
Forever. Because he's getting just moisture and if he eats dry
That will require more moisture. Water intake, a lot.
A Vet at the University of Tn, told me this. As long
as it's only wet it doesn't have to be the Urinary diet.
When he's on wet food only he gets diarrhea..

celsei

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
That would be the type of wet food/its ingredients, he can't be sensitive to all wet food look for limited ingredient ones or better yet frozen unprocessed raw foods like Rad cat or Instinct. Another great option is freeze dried raw which you can add water to just before feeding to make it a hydrated meal, a lot of cats love freeze dried snacks as well (but serve with water added).

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

I would try another wet food.
Plus you will have to feed more wet to compensate
for the dry. If your cat will eat the urinary food that's
great. But, if not, that is your only solution.
Try a more chunky food instead of a pate.
Raw, is another he option.

Last edited:
Back