Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My Sphynx kitten has a full coat of down fur

MayaSpynx

Lairian
Hi Everyone,
hope someone can help me. I am a new sphynx owner. Love her to pieces. My house is warm enough and sometime is too warm for the rest of us LOL. But my cat Maya has a full coat of down fur.. A lot to be exact. Tried dressing her in clothes HATES This. She has a warm heated bed. Heaters all over the place to keep her toasty... Will she lose this when she has more exposure to the sun and when it get warmer and lighter outside. Looks kinda odd a sphynx with fur, Breeder said take clippers to her NOT... Please help

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Everyone,
hope someone can help me. I am a new sphynx owner. Love her to pieces. My house is warm enough and sometime is too warm for the rest of us LOL. But my cat Maya has a full coat of down fur.. A lot to be exact. Tried dressing her in clothes HATES This. She has a warm heated bed. Heaters all over the place to keep her toasty... Will she lose this when she has more exposure to the sun and when it get warmer and lighter outside. Looks kinda odd a sphynx with fur, Breeder said take clippers to her NOT... Please help
Hello @MayaSpynx,
Do you have a picture of her? Please share so we can see what your dealing with. NO - please don't take clippers to her, thats not necessary. A few things, its not uncommon for sphynx to grow some hair or fuzz throughout the year, especially the winter season. In my opinion, you have too much "heat" going on, nothing to do with the hair growth though. Live your life comfortably in your home, no need to adjust your living space for the cat, lay out some throw blankets, she will find her way to remain warm, its instinct. Direct sunlight will not make her lose hair, she may lose it due to warm weather however. :)

MayaSpynx

Lairian
Hello @MayaSpynx,
Do you have a picture of her? Please share so we can see what your dealing with. NO - please don't take clippers to her, thats not necessary. A few things, its not uncommon for sphynx to grow some hair or fuzz throughout the year, especially the winter season. In my opinion, you have too much "heat" going on, nothing to do with the hair growth though. Live your life comfortably in your home, no need to adjust your living space for the cat, lay out some throw blankets, she will find her way to remain warm, its instinct. Direct sunlight will not make her lose hair, she may lose it due to warm weather however. :)

MayaSpynx

Lairian
Here is a picture of my furry beast lol. Hope you can see how furry she is20160120_190614.jpg

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi Everyone,
Like Admin mentioned, if you can post a photo, we'd like to know what you are dealing with. I have five sphynx cats and three of them feel like a chamois, velvet, and one has less of a coat than that. But my last guy is quite hairy. Not long fur, but his back is all covered with a short, almost rough coat. His tail is completely covered in fur and he's got some on his face too. In the really cold winter months, he grows longer fur on his hips which goes away when the weather begins to warm up again. I keep my house as warm as I possibly could. I have a heated throw on my bed for them at night and blankets on the couch in the family room for them during the day if they aren't warming up on me. I have no carpets, so the floors are what is chilly here, not necessarily the air in the rooms. I find them warming up their feet on my baseboard, hot water heating system.

Please don't consider cutting or shaving your little one. If you want to give clothing another chance, I'll suggest something that doesn't have sleeves and something that isn't too long or loose fitting. But we'd love to see a photo. Thanks.

MayaSpynx

Lairian
Hello @MayaSpynx,
Like Admin mentioned, if you can post a photo, we'd like to know what you are dealing with. I have five sphynx cats and three of them feel like a chamois, velvet, and one has less of a coat than that. But my last guy is quite hairy. Not long fur, but his back is all covered with a short, almost rough coat. His tail is completely covered in fur and he's got some on his face too. In the really cold winter months, he grows longer fur on his hips which goes away when the weather begins to warm up again. I keep my house as warm as I possibly could. I have a heated throw on my bed for them at night and blankets on the couch in the family room for them during the day if they aren't warming up on me. I have no carpets, so the floors are what is chilly here, not necessarily the air in the rooms. I find them warming up their feet on my baseboard, hot water heating system.

Please don't consider cutting or shaving your little one. If you want to give clothing another chance, I'll suggest something that doesn't have sleeves and something that isn't too long or loose fitting. But we'd love to see a photo. Thanks.

Attachments

MayaSpynx

Lairian
No her Belly is all nudey and kissable. Her head has just a little fur on her nose. She was like that when I first got her. . Hair on her face. Mostly her nose

MayaSpynx

Lairian
The breeder keeps saying if her ears are cold or cool to the touch and her tail is cool she is too cold. .. I keep her as warm as I can. She likes her heated bed rather than sleeping with me... she opts for the bed rather than cuddling with me... makes me sad.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@MayaSpynx my kitties have cold tails and ears a lot. When they come to cuddle with me, I feel it and I rub their ears and tail until I warm them up. With their tails, I coil their tails and rest them on their own bodies as I rub them until warm and toasty. They all love when I do that.

Well, I'm 100% sure you have a sphynx cat, no doubt there, but they all have varying degrees of fuzz, fur, baldness, etc. Even from the same breeder. The last two I have are from the same breeder and the first one has the least amount of fuzz. She's one step above "sticky bald", no stickiness on her anywhere. The last one, as I mentioned earlier, has the most fur in my family of sphynx here.
Just enjoy her, I'm sure she is a doll. Maybe put her heated bed on top of your blanket at your bedtime if you have room on the bed so that she can sleep closer to you. Just a thought.

MayaSpynx

Lairian
Thank you for your help. It is weird because up until a few months ago she was hairless. Smooth as a chamois. Then she started to grow the fur.. she is very Independent likes to do her own thing. I bring into bed and she cuddles for 15 minutes then worms out of the blanket. . I hope with warm weather coming up soon she will lose her down. It is so thick. .. my new little guy is sticky smooth. As you can see by the 2 photos the first on the couch then the fuzzy. The before and after. . She was hairless. I have ordered a new type of clothing so I will see how that turns out.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for your help. It is weird because up until a few months ago she was hairless. Smooth as a chamois. Then she started to grow the fur.. she is very Independent likes to do her own thing. I bring into bed and she cuddles for 15 minutes then worms out of the blanket. . I hope with warm weather coming up soon she will lose her down. It is so thick. .. my new little guy is sticky smooth. As you can see by the 2 photos the first on the couch then the fuzzy. The before and after. . She was hairless. I have ordered a new type of clothing so I will see how that turns out.
Being that she was hairless up until the winter, I am quite sure that come Spring, she will shed her fuzzy coat.
Winter outside somehow "comes in" the house. It's a different type of cold compared to using the air-conditioner all summer long. Inside my house is a much higher temperature in the winter compared to the summer when we use the a/c, yet there will be more fuzz on some of my sphynx only during our winters.

renewedmind

Banned
Every Sphynx will have a different degree of fur or lack of as many have already said there was a lady here in my state that I talked to that has a 6 year old she had to fix cause with her first litter she got an infection in her uturus and after she fixed her she got fat and grew a bunch of little fuzzy patches so its nothing to be worried about ... At least while she has a little fuz on she won't need to be washed as much since the hair will difuse the oils on her skin

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Some albums have hair in the winter fuzz. @Cleopatra Beers
girl gets a full coat. Then, when the weather gets warm, she
sheds it. Some will have little patches here and there. It's a
natural thing. Their breeder's can't guarantee no hair at all.
Genes, and hormones, can cause this a lot.
Cute heart birthmark. Love it.

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you. Will send you pics for everyone to see of my new little guy when he arrives in a few weeks. .. male blue point. Named him Jaxx ...:):wideyed:maya has a heart shaped birth mark on her face. .. see pic below...View attachment 65387
Maya is beautiful and you will be insanely crazy about your blue point when you get him.

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My little girl Brienne is fuzzy as well. Apparently she was very naked before but are she had kittens her hormones changed and she got fuzzy.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
There is no guarantee Sphynx will remain totally bald. And then growing a coat however thick or thin is not indicative that something wrong it can be as simple as hormonal yet that doesn't mean there's something hormonally wrong. Just love your baby bald, fuzzy or hairy :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MayaSpynx , yes! I see the heart shape on her face! Amazing! Love it! She is gorgeous!
I can't wait to see pics of her and Jaxx!

My ^Yoda Cat ^ developed two small patches on her hips at age two that stayed - we live in a Florida so pretty warm and I didn't see a difference in summer or winter to be honest -

I have one neutered male that got a little "grandpa" hair in the back of his ears and tail and a velvety nose
That has never changed .

It's the love inside that counts - they are all unique which makes this breed so amazing

Head smooches to Maya who looks like a Diva with that heat shape beauty mark!

MayaSpynx

Lairian
Yeah she is a doll for sure
Very spoiled like all the other animals. My new little guy will be here on a few weeks do I will post pica for sure.. thanks for all the advice

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Frida was much like this as a kitten. She would almost never sleep with me and didn't cuddle a lot. Just super independent. Then at two years old it was like someone flipped a switch. She is still very independent but now she wants to cuddle and be close to me and sleeps most nights with me under the cover. my Frida hates clothing and will complain when I put it on her. I don't find it necessary. I keep a heat pad and a favourite blanket available and she will make herself warm when needed.

MayaSpynx

Lairian
I have heated beds for her and at night when I get home I turn the heater on in the living room to make it toasty for her. She does come to sit with me when I get home and I get all the love bites. . Which sometimes draw blood. Lol but she is the best little maya papaya. Want her to sleep with me. But now she is going to have a playmate of her own kind may not see her at all. That makes me sad.. still kiss her all over If she likes it or not. .

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hiiiii Ms. @MayaSpynx !!! Cleopatra Queen of Fuzzy Sphynxies here today!!!!! Thank you Ms. @Hairless Blessing for reminding everybody that I have my beyoutifool Winter Cape!!!! I'ma gonna run for President and demand that EVERY Sphynxie should have a fur cape!!!!

Hi @MayaSpynx, Julie here. Sorry about that--Cleo got to the IPad before I did. @Hairless Blessing is correct. My Cleopatra came to us as a kitten with hair on her face, ears, feet and tail. Her body was very free of hair. Then we noticed that every winter she would grow varying amounts of hair on her back and sides. Now she is almost 4 years old, and this winter, she has a lot of long-ish hair on her back and sides, but it is patchy in places, so we call it her Moth-Eaten Cape. She also grows a lot of curly hair at the base of her tail in the winter that is her Bumfro. Almost all of it goes in the summer, only to return again in the winter.
I love your baby Maya and her cape. One of the things I like about the cape is that Cleo stays cleaner than our really naked Marcus. I have a feeling that you may find the same thing.
As Cleopatra says, "I'ma fuzzy Sphynxie an' proud of it!!!" You can see a lot of her cape here:
image.jpeg

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hiiiii Ms. @MayaSpynx !!! Cleopatra Queen of Fuzzy Sphynxies here today!!!!! Thank you Ms. @Hairless Blessing for reminding everybody that I have my beyoutifool Winter Cape!!!! I'ma gonna run for President and demand that EVERY Sphynxie should have a fur cape!!!!

Hi @MayaSpynx, Julie here. Sorry about that--Cleo got to the IPad before I did. @Hairless Blessing is correct. My Cleopatra came to us as a kitten with hair on her face, ears, feet and tail. Her body was very free of hair. Then we noticed that every winter she would grow varying amounts of hair on her back and sides. Now she is almost 4 years old, and this winter, she has a lot of long-ish hair on her back and sides, but it is patchy in places, so we call it her Moth-Eaten Cape. She also grows a lot of curly hair at the base of her tail in the winter that is her Bumfro. Almost all of it goes in the summer, only to return again in the winter.
I love your baby Maya and her cape. One of the things I like about the cape is that Cleo stays cleaner than our really naked Marcus. I have a feeling that you may find the same thing.
As Cleopatra says, "I'ma fuzzy Sphynxie an' proud of it!!!" You can see a lot of her cape here:
View attachment 65411
She's a pretty little lady, with or without fur.

renewedmind

Banned

View attachment 65411
I wanna do like the kid on despicable me did "IT'S SO FLUFFY!" LOL