Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sphynx needs to have his leg amputated

Anilu

Lairian
hi,

im new to sphynxlair.com so I'm not really sure if this is where I should post this. I'd really appreciate some help and support!

My sphynx is almost 2 years old and he spontaneously developed a pretty big tumor on his front upper right leg...i took him to the vet and its vaccine induced sarcoma and they have to amputate.

Has anyone had any experience with a sphynx amputee?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh no... so sorry to hear this. You have our full support. I do not recall hearing of any leg amputee sphynx here, but I know several have gone through tail amputations. And we have had at least one member treat for cancer.

Have they scheduled a surgery? Has the doctor talked about prognosis?

Praying for you guys. We are here for you.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
((((Hugs))))) I knew a cat years ago who had his leg amputated I can't recall the reason for it though was a long while ago but he did adapt wonderfully and lived a happy life after

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry he has to lose his leg.

Not a sphynx but my gran's moggy lost a front leg after a TV fell on him. He recovered completely, became very agile on 3 legs and lived a long and happy life.

Since they are not outdoor cats we don't have to worry about them being out in traffic and the like. That was always my worry.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
hi,

im new to sphynxlair.com so I'm not really sure if this is where I should post this. I'd really appreciate some help and support!

My sphynx is almost 2 years old and he spontaneously developed a pretty big tumor on his front upper right leg...i took him to the vet and its vaccine induced sarcoma and they have to amputate.

Has anyone had any experience with a sphynx amputee?
Sorry to hear of this. I have never heard of this here in the Sphynxlair community as far as amputation due to Sarcoma, however I do recall reading the tumor being removed and biopsied, here are some good thread to view - http://sphynxlair.com/community/search/518756/?q=sarcoma&o=date - Is it possible to get a second opinion? Animals tend to do very well and adapt comfortably in most cases when losing one limb. Welcome by the way! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Anilu , thank you for reaching out to us . So sad your boy has to go thru this procedure- We are glad to have you and your boy with us on the lair family.
What is his name? We would love to see a pic of your baby.
You are part of the family now and we care -please give him head kisses from me..

We are here for you and your boy- He will recover and be just as mischievous and active
as a sphynx can be - these kitties have a lot of heart , drive and determination under that warm skin as you know-

Please keep us updated! Sending good lair vibes to you and your boy!

Anilu

Lairian
Everyone thank you SO much for your replies and making me feel so welcome.

His name is Benji and he was born on 12/12/12. I don't have a set date for the surgery yet because we still we still need to do all the pre-op tests, but it'll be soon because the tumor is growing rather rapidly.

I'm extremely frustrated because I'd never even heard of a vaccine associated sarcoma. I have an upcoming international trip with him, and the airline requires that all vaccines be administered 6 months prior. He wasn't supposed to get his rabies and frvcp vaccines until next year, but I talked to my vet about it and she said there was no problem with vaccinating him a little early. The frvcp vaccine is what caused the cancerous growth the develop. I WISH I HAD KNOWN! I pretty much over vaccinated him, which I never even knew was an issue. I feel terrible with myself.

These vaccines have been linked to sarcomas in the past, thus why some vets administer them on the lower part of the limb or on the tail (that way if a tumor does develop, amputation has a much higher success rate). He got his vaccine on his upper right front leg. The tumor is already pretty big, and this is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer in cats… so even after amputation, its likely that he'll keep developing tumors because the tumor most likely has already spread into his rib cage. This tumor is just "the tip of the iceberg." These tumors are aggressive because they spread SO quickly…its not just what you see; these tumors have "invisible finger-like tentacles" that dig deeper and farther each day…when you amputate, the skin around it looks healthy, but its most likely already affected by these invisible/microscopic "tentacles."

Without amputation he only has a few more months to live…if we do amputate, he might make it to a year. He has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy so he can't tolerate being sedated constantly for radiation. It's so frustrating to think that all this was preventable. I had no idea over vaccinating was even a thing, let alone that it could have such serious consequences. This is a 1 in 10,000-30,000 chance. I'm praying that amputating will eliminate all of the cancer, even though thats statistically unlikely.

I took this picture of him last night when we were sleeping. I uploaded this on Instagram and I don't really want to share pictures where his tumor is visible…this picture is at an angle where you can barely see it, but if you look closely you can see a bump on his shoulder region. I'll later share a better picture on here.
1503280_10152615466462869_2263904635276965239_n.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Anilu , awh! Benji is an adorable camera ham!
Thank you for sharing such a heart felt experience -- (((hugs to to team Benji)))
We truly learn together- thank you for having the courage to teach us-
We are here with all lair prayers and wishes !
I love that Benji face- and all pics and poses and angles are truly welcome!
He doesn't look self conscious at all! No worries about seeing his lump here-
Team Benji is part of the family! All family Benji photos welcome!

We will walk that path right besides you and Benji with the Best Lair wishes and healing thoughts!

I am so glad to see a pic of your handsome Benji!

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't beat yourself up. It could happen to anyone - whether you had vaccinated ahead of schedule or not. It is an unfortunate risk that we all take when vaccinating.

The important thing is to focus on giving Benji the best possible quality of life for whatever amount of time that he has left - long or short.

We will be sending healing thoughts and positive vibes. I hope he can beat this and come out healthy.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you. I just hate it's under these circumstances.
I'm so, so, sorry. My heart hurts for you and him. I will for sure pray for him and you.
Please keep us updated about him.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Everyone thank you SO much for your replies and making me feel so welcome.

His name is Benji and he was born on 12/12/12. I don't have a set date for the surgery yet because we still we still need to do all the pre-op tests, but it'll be soon because the tumor is growing rather rapidly.

I'm extremely frustrated because I'd never even heard of a vaccine associated sarcoma. I have an upcoming international trip with him, and the airline requires that all vaccines be administered 6 months prior. He wasn't supposed to get his rabies and frvcp vaccines until next year, but I talked to my vet about it and she said there was no problem with vaccinating him a little early. The frvcp vaccine is what caused the cancerous growth the develop. I WISH I HAD KNOWN! I pretty much over vaccinated him, which I never even knew was an issue. I feel terrible with myself.

These vaccines have been linked to sarcomas in the past, thus why some vets administer them on the lower part of the limb or on the tail (that way if a tumor does develop, amputation has a much higher success rate). He got his vaccine on his upper right front leg. The tumor is already pretty big, and this is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer in cats… so even after amputation, its likely that he'll keep developing tumors because the tumor most likely has already spread into his rib cage. This tumor is just "the tip of the iceberg." These tumors are aggressive because they spread SO quickly…its not just what you see; these tumors have "invisible finger-like tentacles" that dig deeper and farther each day…when you amputate, the skin around it looks healthy, but its most likely already affected by these invisible/microscopic "tentacles."

Without amputation he only has a few more months to live…if we do amputate, he might make it to a year. He has Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy so he can't tolerate being sedated constantly for radiation. It's so frustrating to think that all this was preventable. I had no idea over vaccinating was even a thing, let alone that it could have such serious consequences. This is a 1 in 10,000-30,000 chance. I'm praying that amputating will eliminate all of the cancer, even though thats statistically unlikely.

I took this picture of him last night when we were sleeping. I uploaded this on Instagram and I don't really want to share pictures where his tumor is visible…this picture is at an angle where you can barely see it, but if you look closely you can see a bump on his shoulder region. I'll later share a better picture on here. View attachment 53327
I might have missed this part... but how long was it between the vaccine and the lump showing up? Did they biopsy it yet for cancer cells? I just ask because mine got some pretty scary large and sudden lumps 3 weeks post-vaccine. They turned out to be nothing and went away on their own.

Ickushouse

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I pray that the amputation removes all the tumor. An old friend once had a three-legged kitty, "Guy," who did wonderfully, and his missing leg was in the back. I've heard that for cats it's even easier if the missing leg is in front. Love this boy up! He's going to be even more endearing after his procedure.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Anilu , hello Benji!

I agree with Molly's mom asking about how they confirm its cancer vs. a vaccine reaction lump that goes away on its own?

Did they aspirate the lump ?

some Lairians have experienced scary vaccination lumps with their babies that went away

Have you taken Benji for a second opinion?

Perhaps call a top notch veterinary college and make an inquiry to their staff about this lump ?

GizmosMommy

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh yes..Giz gets lumps after shots too. It scared me so bad the first time it happened. I'm a nervous nelly now and am kinda against vaccines after reading the risks that can be involved.

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
How dreadful for you. Here in UK we don't have rabies so animals aren't vaccinated. Lukemia isn't recomended so mine aren't injected for that either but had the jabs as kittens. I've got one sphynx with the calicivirus so I don't give her ANY annual jabs as it seems silly to put more cat flu into her when she struggles with calici. The other sphynx I've got just gets cat flu and enteritis jab but to be honest I can't see the point. Might reconsider next year. They never go out or see other animals or go ina cattery/ kennels. It's such a dilemma tho to know what to do for the best. We all wish you luck and hope you have many more moths/ years of love n snuggles xx

Timmy & the Twins

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I can't imagine the feelings you are having with the upcoming surgery and knowing your baby is ill. I hope and pray the surgery is successful. You are certainly in my thoughts! Please continue to update us on his condition.

Anilu

Lairian
Hi everyone!

So, circumstances changed a little bit, which is AWESOME news! Both the aspirate and the biopsy came back as inconclusive...which in part is good because that means that they couldnt find cancer cells :) but at the same time we're still not really sure what it is...so today he had the entire tumor removed and hopefully we'll get the results back within a week.

I'm extremely anxious but mostly HAPPY...because although we still don't know what it is, it seems like its really not fibrosarcoma! IT LOOKS LIKE HE'S GOING TO KEEP HIS LEG!
image.jpg

Crinkuls

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You know they make soft cones . They look a lot more comfortable . Real cheap on eBay. Hope all goes well!!

Back