Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

my sphynx smells :(

rikkuyuna

Lairian
My sphynx doesnt stay clean for long, but i guess mine isnt the only one. My real question is, when he goes and does his thing in his litter tray, he comes back stinking of poo. Its really not nice, especially when he wants to sit on the sofa etc, I have to bath him everytime he has gone to the toilet as it is so unhygienic. I have also noticed his bum does get dirty once hes been, I know this is gross, but its not the greatest thing about owning a sphynx. Anyone have any advice on what I could bath him in to lift the dirt of him better? Any body elses sphynx suffer from this??

Thanks!!:Surprise::Dizzy:

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
seems like a lot of people recomend a raw diet to help with potty smells. i dont do raw, but am tempted sometimes after a potty break lol

Inferno12

Banned
Other than a change in diet, baby wipes, baby wipes, baby wipes! I always keep them handy and quite often wipe their butts after they poo. Gotta love it!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nudie smells like that sometimes but I don't bathe her everytime she goes #2 because her skin could dry out. I use "Earthbath" hypoallergenic cat wipes and clean her but and anything else that gets dirty between baths (bath1xweek):BigSmile:

JacksMom

Banned
As for getting dirt off him, well, I first used the microfiber cloths (found a big one at the dollar store and my mom cut and sewed it into 8 small cloths). I disovered they are too soft to remove the dirt on my boys neck, tummy, etc. So, I have these 6 packs of tiny loufas (which I also bought at the dollar store a couple years ago. They are small, and I would use them for travelling and toss it at the end of my travel. Well, now I am using them for boy (and not tossing, off course, but washing them). They are still not harsh and REALLY do the job on getting all dirt off boy. I, do, however, still use the microfiber on his face, and then last his bum (which he HATES!). I just started using Johnson Johnson Oatmeal baby wash, and it works great on boys skin. It comes in a pump. I would definitely suggest a mini-loufa for getting off dirt.

As for boys bum, well, when nasty stuff is left on it after he takes one of his famous dumps, I use a baby wipe on his bum (after I have ran it through warm water). He doesn't like it, but tolerates it and it just takes a second. I use them on his paws before we go to bed, too, I keep them in my night stand (as I use them to clean his nails every week, too). I know, I know, I am a little OCD....just a little!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Doesn't happen very often with Darwin but it has happened a couple of times. His stomach is fine so he is quite clean after taking a dump :)

When it has happened though either I clean him with wet paper or he licks the (four stars) off his (three stars) himself. Whoever gets there first. If I'm not first I don't kiss him on the nose for a while. ;)

He don't smell if you don't count the mushroom smell all sphynxes get the last days before a bath.

TotenEngel

Banned
Smeagol used to be a nightmare for poo on his bum/back legs/tail and again, we got used to always having baby wipes to hand!
It does, however, seem as hes got a little older he's got better at not walking through his poo after doing it!

JacksMom

Banned
Ha! Yesterday I had a lovely surprise when Jack jumped up on me, he left a chunk of fresh poo on my pants! And yes, it stunk REALLY bad...gross! It took more than a baby wipe for that mess!! Haha!

Inferno12

Banned
Ha! Yesterday I had a lovely surprise when Jack jumped up on me, he left a chunk of fresh poo on my pants! And yes, it stunk REALLY bad...gross! It took more than a baby wipe for that mess!! Haha!

Diego does that except his poop is quite soft and the he runs most of his tail through it. Its disgusting!:Dizzy:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I use baby wipes - I keep a box in the livingroom - kitchen and bathroom and bedroom - just incase they come around with stinky butts! And when they really smell I usually promptly get up and go scoop just to avoid someone getting left overs on their feet and tracking it! lol

JacksMom

Banned
Yea, I am cat-sitting two furys and I guess there's a lot of poop happening in that box, so Jack walked through either his or someone elses. It was really gross! Fortunately it was on the upper part of his back leg not on the paws so after close inspection...he didn't leave any traces on the floor! Just on me :LOL::LOL::LOL:

rikkuyuna

Lairian
It is all so gross isnt it! dam the poo!!!! my sphynx is sat on me now whilst im typing away, he must know what im typing as hes looking at the screen with his ears back :LOL::LOL::LOL: Or it could just be hes wearing a large chunky knit blue cardigan. hmmmmmm revenge is so sweet lol

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, my 2 girls do the poopy dinglegoo mess on my lap sometimes! I really hate it, but the younger girl is getting a little better aboutm not stepping in her poop & dragging her tail through it! Baby wipes are great!

emmysmom10

Lairian
The Johnson&Johnson Oatmeal wash is AWESOME!!! I just started using it a bit ago and it definately smells better then the little ones poo:BigSmile: Hope the baby wipes work for you...all I have to do with Emmy is come close to wiping her butt and she gets to cleaning.

Back