Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My sweet Isis is sick

mom2Isis

Lairian
Just asking for any advice and some prayers. Took Isis to the vet today because she has been vomitting on and off for 10 days. She got a hold of a gold ribbon somehow and I thought that was the culprit (she threw that up on 2 seperate occasions). Took her in for xrays and that came back normal, so now we are waiting for bloodwork results. Starting her on an antibiotic today. It is so weird because she doesn't vomit every day. Just every other day or so. And she is eatng, drinking, eliminating and acting normal. I hope we can figure out what is wrong with her. She is my baby!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I just asked this to another Sphynx owner, but did you get BARIUM xrays or simple xrays? Barium xrays are necessary if you think a cat has ate anything that will not be picked up on normal radiographs- such as ribbons. If your vet has not done barium xrays, please get RIGHT BACK IN IMMEDIATELY and ask for them to be done. Yes, it's expensive, but it's much more heartbreaking losing an animal to an impaction.

Otherwise, if a barium was done- I will keep my fingers crossed that she gets better on her own and quickly! If she is impacted, surgery is NECESSARY and it is something that cannot be put off.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just asked this to another Sphynx owner, but did you get BARIUM xrays or simple xrays? Barium xrays are necessary if you think a cat has ate anything that will not be picked up on normal radiographs- such as ribbons. If your vet has not done barium xrays, please get RIGHT BACK IN IMMEDIATELY and ask for them to be done. Yes, it's expensive, but it's much more heartbreaking losing an animal to an impaction.

Otherwise, if a barium was done- I will keep my fingers crossed that she gets better on her own and quickly! If she is impacted, surgery is NECESSARY and it is something that cannot be put off.

This is good advice, I was going to say it but Sleepyheadkitten beat me to it. I hope Isis feels better soon.

Inferno12

Banned
I didnt know anything about those either. This is why I love this place. thanks for the good info and I sure hope Isis gets better soon. Me and the boys send hugs your way

One question...If she is impacted would she still be using the bathroom normally?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Depends- if it's a partial obstruction, supposedly from what I remember- they can potty and even eat/drink, but as the intestines keep moving, the obstruction worsens and I believe will eventually shut down the ability to eliminate. The problem with the wait and see method with a partial obstruction is that the intestines can start to deteroriate and bacteria can build up and that can kill a cat just as easily as the simple obstruction.

Gizzymom

Banned
Depends- if it's a partial obstruction, supposedly from what I remember- they can potty and even eat/drink, but as the intestines keep moving, the obstruction worsens and I believe will eventually shut down the ability to eliminate. The problem with the wait and see method with a partial obstruction is that the intestines can start to deteroriate and bacteria can build up and that can kill a cat just as easily as the simple obstruction.

I also know with the wait and see method.. if the obstruction is cutting off blood flow to the intestine, the bowel will die... and will not come back. Better to be safe than sorry ...

Hope Isis is better soon!!!

mom2Isis

Lairian
Thanks everyone, so much. Well, after a week of 2 different antibiotics I took her back in to see the doctor this morning and her white cell count is still up. So we are going in for xrays again tomorrow. I am definitley going to ask for the barium xray. Thanks ladies and wish us luck!!

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awe, so sorry she isn't feeling well. Hope she'll do better once she gets some meds into her system.

Back