Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

my unusual baby !

dizzynita

Lairian
hi guys can anyone help me , I have a 6 week old baby . hes drinking well and eating a little ...i ve only had him a few days , he was an accident by a breeder who breeds both bengals and sphynx ! he is not going to the toilet properly on his own so i have been using damp cotton wool balls to help him but he has yet to have a poo ! hes fine in himself but i am concerned about it ,he does pass wind . ...any advice .....other than that he is gorgeous , very lively and very loud !!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dizzynita and welcome to the Liar! What are you feeding the kitten wet or dry? how often are you feeding? Do you have the litter box where the kitten is familiar with it's location and have you shown the kitten the box and put him in it? What do you mean by not going to the bathroom well? Is there poop coming out? If so is it hard or soft? This will help answer some of the question and concern.

dizzynita

Lairian
he has not had a poo yet , i got him on tuesday , I ve shown him and put him in the litter tray , he jumps out ! he doesnt seen interested in wet or dry at the mo , although i do keep trying i m giving him a milk supplement via syringe every few hrs and then stimulating him to go to the toilet but so far it is only wee , he has eat a little mince on the first night i got him then had some fish yesterday , he seems ok inhimself but it cant be right !

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
poor little guy. I have no points of expertice to off , just sympathy. And curiosity... hes half bengal half sphynx??

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This may sound dumb, but is there any way you can return him so he can spend a few more weeks with his mother? 6 weeks is way too young for a kitten to be weaned (as you're now learning).

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This may sound dumb, but is there any way you can return him so he can spend a few more weeks with his mother? 6 weeks is way too young for a kitten to be weaned (as you're now learning).
I agree

holly_savage

Banned
I was wondering the same..how did you end up with a six week old kitten? Did something happen to the mother?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Even if the mother died, a responsible breeder should not send kittens home at 6 weeks. 6 weeks is basically starting to wean- they are still learning potty skills, socialization skills, and they are pretty fragile at this age.

Nita- keep doing what you are doing, keep a close eye on your baby and hopefully, he'll start using the potty and thriving over the next few days.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hoping your baby continues to grow and thrive. What did you name him? Do you have pictures?

dizzynita

Lairian
Hi everyone ,just to let you know my little tiger is doing really well he had a poo last night ,atlast ! He is a very lively kitten with the biggest personality I've ever seen in such a little man ! yes the breeder re-homed them to quick but he believed they where all eating solids and useing the litter tray , maybe he overlooked my little man ? Either way he is getting stonger and putting on weight already he is having the best qualitymilk supplement which i will keep him on untill he is atleast 12 weeks old . .Between my husband and I he is not left for more then 4 hrs 4 days a week and the other 3 we are there all day so he ll be fine i really dont need to take him back to the breeder he is doing really well , i ll post a pic up soon xx

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yay for poop! So glad to hear your little guy is doing well. I can't wait to see the pictures.

VeVeLove

Lairian
Yay for poop! So glad to hear your little guy is doing well. I can't wait to see the pictures.
Wow what a combo. My last cat was a bengal and wow was she full of life. I got her at 8 weeks and also had a hard time with food and potty issues. I had to use yesterdays news. I think that's what its called. I also feed her Holistic Gold and she did really good. I now have a five baby sphynx and they are much different. I really hope you get the best of both worlds with your new addition. Good luck.

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow what a combo. My last cat was a bengal and wow was she full of life. I got her at 8 weeks and also had a hard time with food and potty issues. I had to use yesterdays news. I think that's what its called. I also feed her Holistic Gold and she did really good. I now have a five baby sphynx and they are much different. I really hope you get the best of both worlds with your new addition. Good luck.
Hi! I noticed you said the Bengal & Sphynx are different - that is for sure! My Sphynx are wonderful! My Bengals from the past were absolutely breathtaking & beautiful, but ...well, they were kind of the cats from hell!:Dizzy::Cry:

Joleen

Lairian
baby cat milk replacment would be the best diet for him at this age
i have also adopted a little sphynx when he was 4 weeks old since his mamma was sick
at first i was feeding something the breeder gave me and the kitten wouldn't drink it i had to make him drink since he was too thin and i noticed it made him constipated
i switched to some better milk replacment after a few days i had enough with that old milk and he started eating from a bowl on his own didn't have to fight with him for him to finish up he started gaining weight and his bowl movement was perfectly fine .. i kept feeding him milk until he was 12 weeks old and he is doing great
by the way the milk i had bought was from royal canin .. he freakin' loves he will go crazy just from smelling it .. someone from aside would think he is starving lol
i still keep the box and use it when i want something from him
i also used it to make him overcome his fear of jumping off the bed (he would jump from higher places but he was so scared of jumping off of it) and also for getting on it .. i just let him smell it and he goes crazy he just has to find a way to get to it its better then catnip i tell ya he would love to roll up in it im sure :LOL:

susi794

Staff member
Joleen, I LOVE your signature piece --the MGM lion thing--it's adorable!

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member

To Sphynx Lair!
:BigSmile:

Glad yo hear your baby is doing much better:BigSmile::ThumbsUp: keep up the good work.​

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Happy to hear your baby is doing well. We have Sphynx and a Bengal...cannot imagine the combo :) Just hope he has the calmness of the Sphynx...Bengals are hell on paws...and soooo smart.