Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

My Whole World Just Died

Terri W

Lairian
Hello All,
I am new to this site and hoping for some words of wisdom from other people that understand what this feels like. My sweet, beloved 10 year old, Floyd just died suddenly and unexpectedly (owing to advanced HCM, which we didn’t even know he had). He was the most affectionate and wonderful companion I ever knew and there just aren’t any words strong enough to explain how close and how bonded we were. We had an innate love and connection to one another and I miss him in everything I do. I wasn’t expecting this and I was definitely not ready to say goodbye. I feel so empty and lost and I’m trying so hard to stay strong for his little sister, who is missing him dearly. They were pretty much joined at the hip and she spent 90% of her days snuggling and playing with him. I knew about HCM but had no idea my baby had it. I’m having such a hard time understanding how it could progress so quickly. I got home and his paw was paralyzed and his breathing was laboured. I rushed him to the vet and they said it was a blood clot in his leg. They ran a bunch of tests and put him in an oxygen kennel. I had the vet do everything she could to try and save him, but he didn’t respond to the treatment and died a few hours later. A huge piece of my heart is gone, it left with him. Thanks for listening.
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry for your loss! I know personally about HCM as many others here, if you ever need to talk about it... Keep Floyd in your heart and know that he only felt love from you. One day you will remember him with joy! Hugs to you! {}

NakedTruth

Lairian
So sorry for your loss! I know personally about HCM as many others here, if you ever need to talk about it... Keep Floyd in your heart and know that he only felt love from you. One day you will remember him with joy! Hugs to you! {}
Thank you so much!! I am so grateful for the support and heartfelt thoughts of everyone here. The hardest part is over now and his ashes are in a beautiful urn by the window. We will always hold him in our hearts and we have so many wonderful memories to keep his spirit alive and very present within us. Right now I am doing my best to comfort and soothe his little ‘sister’ Sphynx who is so very sad without him. We are doing our best to give her lots of affection and attention but if anyone has any additional suggestions to offer, we would be grateful.

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am finding heating a hot pack for her and putting it with her morning and night helps her sister.

NakedTruth

Lairian
Thank you!! Right now we are having a girls’ night on the couch with Netflix and a blanket. She seems to be soaking it all in.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you so much!! I am so grateful for the support and heartfelt thoughts of everyone here. The hardest part is over now and his ashes are in a beautiful urn by the window. We will always hold him in our hearts and we have so many wonderful memories to keep his spirit alive and very present within us. Right now I am doing my best to comfort and soothe his little ‘sister’ Sphynx who is so very sad without him. We are doing our best to give her lots of affection and attention but if anyone has any additional suggestions to offer, we would be grateful.
I can share how I solved the one cat left in our house... I got her a new friend. Sadly they only knew each other for about 3 weeks, you see I lost two in four months. Long story short, it ended with me getting three sphynx cats, just in case someone leaves us! Then noone is left alone. I know, totally nuts thinking on my part. I was so sad during this time and the new trio that moved in saved us in a way. They never take the place of the ones gone, but they do add to the love in the house. I'm just glad that my crazy solution to a time of sadness worked out well for us (me and the hubby).
Take your time healing, the one you have is the best medicine and therapy you can ever wish for! Bless you!

NakedTruth

Lairian
I can share how I solved the one cat left in our house... I got her a new friend. Sadly they only knew each other for about 3 weeks, you see I lost two in four months. Long story short, it ended with me getting three sphynx cats, just in case someone leaves us! Then noone is left alone. I know, totally nuts thinking on my part. I was so sad during this time and the new trio that moved in saved us in a way. They never take the place of the ones gone, but they do add to the love in the house. I'm just glad that my crazy solution to a time of sadness worked out well for us (me and the hubby).
Take your time healing, the one you have is the best medicine and therapy you can ever wish for! Bless you!
Oh my goodness that is so sad! I can’t even imagine how horrible that would have been for you! I understand the logic of the trio completely and I’d probably have considered the same strategy. The love they bring to the home, the warmth, comfort and constant entertainment is very enriching. I think getting her a new friend is a great idea. Might really help her feel comforted in ways that we humans just can’t. Hugs & blessings to you too!!

Velour

Lairian
Dear NakedTruth,

Sudden loss is so difficult.

I feel for you and am happy that you have a baby girl ready and willing to share in your grief. A companion full of love and waiting whole heartedly to help fill that hole that exists in your heart at the moment. Grief lingers and this is the perfect place to find people who can empathize with your loss.

My first poodle died at 5 in my arms within minutes. It took years for me to rebuild.

I am saying this because then my next poodle passed at 13, also in my arms within hours. But this time I focused on the acceptance of life and its various cycles, its peculiar beauties and irreplaceable moments of joy with my companions. In this way I was able to let go of some of the pain and sense of injustice. I created space in my daily life to have moments of grief and I created space in my daily life to include my past companions in my routine. For example, I often tell my puppy that he reminds me of my dane. Or I tell my Sphynx that he is insightful like my poodle. I hang on to the things that remind me of them and laugh at loud or shed tears of bittersweet remembrance.

For me, this helped. I was able to change “good-bye” to “oh! I see you! You are in your new form and maybe be here for a fleeting moment and I cherish that moment.”

My sphynx has the same disease. He is four. I live everyday with that impending doom of when I will come home to find my life tuned upside down. I was just starting to really know him and get into a routine and suddenly I find myself watching his muscles atrophy and his skin fluctuate in health and so on. I feel like the only thing we can do in all these circumstances is hold on tight to the boat and ride the waves big and small knowing that this too shall pass.

Velour