Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

MewkiPi

Lairian
Disclaimer: I'm a pre-med so "too many details" may follow.

Hi everyone! I've been tracking a skin problem with my ~4 year old Sphynx. But I haven't found a single spot that looks like hers anywhere online so I'm happy to hopefully contribute informative info once we get this solved. I haven't changed anything diet or soap wise. I typically get away with not having to bathe her every 2 weeks (more like once a month). Although, she had a bath not long before the spot formed. Changes include: I have moved in with my fiancé recently so there may be some new irritant she's exposed to OR she may be enjoying the fact that she gets more sun in his place... BUT we spent a lot of time at his place before officially moving in so I'm confused why anything would change. I'm not convinced that's the issue. Other differential diagnosis I can come up with is a fungal infection of some kind? We also live with a doctor for hoomans and that's his guess. But how she would've gotten it, idk. I see that it's common in our sphinxes though so, maybe. They only look very slightly red around the borders and she is not bothered by them at all. She's not licking the area, I don't even think she can reach it actually... they're not raised... they don't really feel much different from her healthy skin, but if you look verrrry closely, you can see it IS a little scaly looking and dry. But literally have to look magnifying-glass level close. Can kind of see in last picture.

I definitely don't know anything at all about Sphynx skin conditions and have been lucky to not experience issues w her until now. Any tips or guesses are welcome!

[TLDR: Other OTHER random tid-bits for super nerds/helicopter cat parents like me... (who knows, maybe there's important associations in here). She was having a few coughing fits the last couple weeks... they did concern me, but I kind of feel like she was just dealing with a lot of dust from me cleaning during the move. OR I've been a little irked by the thought of microbes growing in her water fountain. I'm in a microbio class right now, so I've been a little paranoid to say the least. Oh! And then my fiancé did admit that he got some kind of car/motorcycle grease on her belly at some point... but if I recall, it wasn't in the same spot and I'm pretty sure he got it off of her. Unlessssss she got it off herself and ingested some!? Hmm... Idk guys. Obviously my wheels are spinning.]

1. Photo w/ measuring tape in it was from April 11th.
tempImage92k0Ip.png

2. April 13th, spot got a bit darker...
tempImage7e7R31.png

3 & 4. Most recent pics, taken last night (much to her disapproval lol she bit me like 50x)... The initial spot has gradually increased in size and now she's got another little one forming directly across the midline. The symmetry is somewhat perplexing to me, but could be coincidental. Like, mayyyybe she's sitting on something irritating... but her hang-out places are all the same. And these spots aren't in her "FUPA area" haha. To clarify, that would be the tummy pudge that would normally come in contact with something she's sitting on if she's sitting upright... so it doesn't rule out things she lays on. But why would it be symmetrical?
tempImageGMBGJz.png

tempImagevGHA18.png

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MewkiPi , welcome to the lair family. what is your cuties name? does she sit on a cable box at all? does she over sunbath? how are her sides color? hard to tell from pic but looks like a little darkening?
here is a pic of my adoptee the day I got him. he was vet checked . oversunbathing. cleared up on its own when I took him home put a cat tree in a non sunny window. some members put on window tint film.
for peace of mind can vet check to rule out if yeast/bacterial. following for updates. hugs n positive vibe head smooches

Attachments

• batman pigmentation.JPG
    batman pigmentation.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 15

MewkiPi

Lairian
@MewkiPi , welcome to the lair family. what is your cuties name? does she sit on a cable box at all?
for peace of mind can vet check to rule out if yeast/bacterial. following for updates. hugs n positive vibe head smooches
Hiiii! Thanks for the welcome/message. Happy to be here! And have been excited to have others weigh in!

Her name is Mewki! My name's actually Natalya. And you guessed it, she does sit on our audio receiver which is super warm and cozy. You think it could be burns? She once did injure her paw from it so I put something over it... I guess it could still be that but I actually haven't noticed her sitting on it in that much. I've also been working a lot (like 13hr days) which is probably part of why I'm so baffled I guess haha so maybe she lays on it when I'm out? Ohhh there's also her heating pad... hmm. It's just weird bc these are both things that she uses to keep warm all the time so I wonder why, if this is it, she would have a reaction now?

pussiette

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It could be a burn or an unknown lesion in which case I would get this looked at by dermatologist.

Sheldon13

Staff member
It actually looks like classic yeast, to me. Have you tried a shampoo treatment for that?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

MewkiPi

Lairian
It actually looks like classic yeast, to me. Have you tried a shampoo treatment for that?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Hi thank you! I haven't. Do you have a recommendation? I am planning to take her to the vet soon... was just waiting to see if any Brooklyn-natives respond to a post I made about Vets they'd recommend. :)

MewkiPi

Lairian
SO! Verdict from the vet I went to (4 Legged Friends Vet on Kings Highway, for any Brooklyn people) is "just pigmentation"... it wasn't a wasted visit bc she was due for a shot anyway BUT I'm still skeptical. The only thing I can think of that supports her theory is that she's just been laying on the receiver too much and she burned herself... apparently not enough to make her uncomfortable lol. I'll try to keep her off the receiver and see if the color improves.

I have some peace of mind, but the mystery continues bc she's 4 years old and has never had random pigmentation.

Thanks to those who've been following, hope it helps someone out there!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Glad your vet gave you a peace of mind. Thanks for updating this post.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I think if the spot changes any I would take it more seriously. I mean if it becomes raised, or grows, or if it bleeds or anything weird. But it could be just an aging spot. Probably all cats get them but we don't notice if they have fur.