Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey everyone , I posted this pic on Instagram
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385014196.492626.jpg
and somebody commenting saying I shouldn't use human nail clippers - what do you use to cut your kitties nails? They said I could damage them ?

JoannaH91

Lairian
I use the special cat nail clippers from petco. I think they are safer because they are more rounded like the cats nails verses more flat like our nails. They cost me about $7 so they are pretty affordable too

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We don't have a petco in England. I bought a kitten nail clipper when I first got binx but it was useless. My breeder uses the human nail clipper so I thought it would be ok :(

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use safari professional nail trimmers which I got off Amazon, you could look up the top rated ones on UK Amazon?

I have read mixed things about using human nail clippers, a lot of resources say it is perfectly fine . The only thing I have read is that it is more likely to cause split nails

I hope the comment did not bother you, you did nothing wrong to follow breeders advice and it is not a huge deal. although I hate when people try to call you out on Instagram, you are not the only one it happens to!!

JoannaH91

Lairian
We don't have a petco in England. I bought a kitten nail clipper when I first got binx but it was useless. My breeder uses the human nail clipper so I thought it would be ok :(
I wonder what my breeder used, hmm I had never asked lol if the human nail clipper seems to be working fine, then I would stick to it. If you have any concerns or want to see if the pet one is better, then just go to any pet store to purchase one and give it a try :)

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use people nail clippers. All he pet ones I have found here in Australia seem too big, I honestly can't see the nail enough to safely cut!! So I just use people nail clippers too.

Iambailey

Lairian
I've seen people using human nail clippers, it will definitely get the job done but because they aren't as sharp they do tend to pinch the nail off which can split it and be uncomfortable for kitten, and it makes for rough edges which aren't fun for anyone lol. I'm a groomer so that would make me crazy but you're not doing anything "wrong". I use cat nail scissors on all the teeny dogs and of course the cats that come in to my salon, and I will be using them on Renfrew, much cleaner cut, more accurate and no jagged edges make me a happy girl!!

Emily0404

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thankyou for all your replies. I'll go and check out some different destined of cat clippers as I wouldn't want them to come to any harm :)

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I used to use human clippers too but switched at some point. The pet clippers are sharper and easier to use on them but human clippers are fine too :)

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use human clippers and have even used baby clippers on my littlest one ( they were my kids) but I think I may just by cat ones to see if they are better. I've never had a problem, just curious

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I have used both. I didn't see a difference between using one or the other. As long as they are sharp they both seem to do the same job and neither seems to bother the kitties more than the other.
patti

curlysue

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use human nail clippers. I to have found the pet ones seem to be so big that I spend more time fighting with them than the nakkids.

Ashdm

Lairian

Emily I am in the UK too and find our petstores over priced and without the majority of things mentioned on here. I got a pair of pet nail clippers called Trixie easy claw. They were £2 and have been amazing. Due to the handles and the rounded shape of the blades I actually find it easier to use with wriggly kitties. Been using them on 3 cats for over a year and been faultless, best 2 quid I spent!! Do you use zoo plus? I get all my pet supplies, litter, bathcare & food from them, they are an online only store but with great prices and very quick shipping or alternatively I use amazon when I run out of something. Whatever is in stock and quicker!

Back