Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nail Clipping

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Does anyone have any tricks on how to clip a cat's claws without a fight?

My half Maine Coon boy, Hyde, completely freaks out when I clip his nails. It's sheer panic on his end. And because he does have heart issues I *hate* causing him stress. I end up letting his claws grow too long because he fights and panics so much.

He's almost 7 years old and weighs roughly 20 lbs of muscle and is a tall, long boy as well. I've tried swaddling him, trimming them when he's asleep, having my boyfriend (who Hyde loves) hold and talk to him while I'm clipping. Nothing works. He just freaks right out. Then lays there panting for about 20 minutes afterwards.

I'd hate to think that nail trimming will cause him to throw a blood clot, but I also can't let him go with nails untrimmed.

HELP! :Smile: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Calm is key, wrap him in a warm blanket or try some treats to calm him. Try not to make a big deal out of it just clip them while you are sitting on the couch and sneak in a nail or 2 every once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
I've tried the 'clip while asleep' thing ... doesn't work as he spring awake the second I touch his paws. I have NO idea why he is so clip-afraid. I've never gotten the quick or hurt him. It's always been a struggle.

I've been tempted to take him to a groomer but, unsprisingly, he react in sheer terror when getting into his carrier. He is completely the Cowardly Lion.

Gizzymom

Banned
I don't know anyone who has personally used this... but I have seen them before...

Just a thought.

p_4471_9641.jpg

Chameleon924

Lairian
A lot of times when you take them out of there enviroment they do better. Have you tried taking him to a part of the house he never goes in or at a friends house? Or maybe have someone he is not use to try it.

Most animals that come into our vet office will let us clip there nails (because they are an unfimilair place and unfimilair people) were they will not let there owners do it. Just a thought!

Inferno12

Banned
I don't know anyone who has personally used this... but I have seen them before...

Just a thought.

View attachment 2236

:LOL::LOL::Hysterical:

Sorry to laugh but that cat looks so comfy in that thing. Its kind of like the pedi paws commercial. This is not reality at all BUT I think something like this might help you from getting torn up! I would also try to just clip them while your cat is sleeping or just hanging out . Maybe one or two at a time and then he might get used to it.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Since your kitty is half Maine Coon, I doubt he would appreciate being wrapped in a warm blanket. And if he's a typical MC then he isn't much of a snuggler either, his idea of being close to someone is sitting beside/near them.

Does he have a favorite kitty treat? Maybe start doing some training with him using positive reinforcement. Start by getting him used to his feet being touched, let him smell a treat while you rub a toe or two and let him eat it when you're done. Make these sessions very fast and stretch them out over time. Be sure to give him lots of praise too!

I've had kitties that were holy terrors about their nails or being bathed that I was able to train using treats & positive reinforcement.

The Cat Sack is wonderful for cleaning ears but not so helpful for trimming nails. Cause once you let a paw come out of the sack that cat is going to take off like a bat outta h*ll. I used to use a cat sack 3x per week for ears but it sucked for toenails.

Shell_Baby

Lairian
I agree that you should try a special treat only used when you touch his paws. Then slowly desensitize to the paw touching and then move SLOWLY onto the trimming. It worked for my furry kitty.

As for the cat sack.... I can't imagine the fight I'd have trying to get my kitty INTO it!:LOL: If I tried, there would be stitches in my future!!!:Wink::LOL:

AmazonGoddess

Lairian
Since your kitty is half Maine Coon, I doubt he would appreciate being wrapped in a warm blanket. And if he's a typical MC then he isn't much of a snuggler either, his idea of being close to someone is sitting beside/near them.

Does he have a favorite kitty treat? Maybe start doing some training with him using positive reinforcement. Start by getting him used to his feet being touched, let him smell a treat while you rub a toe or two and let him eat it when you're done. Make these sessions very fast and stretch them out over time. Be sure to give him lots of praise too!

I've had kitties that were holy terrors about their nails or being bathed that I was able to train using treats & positive reinforcement.

The Cat Sack is wonderful for cleaning ears but not so helpful for trimming nails. Cause once you let a paw come out of the sack that cat is going to take off like a bat outta h*ll. I used to use a cat sack 3x per week for ears but it sucked for toenails.

Marlene, you've pretty much nailed his personality. He's a HUGE love-bug, but doesn't like to be picked up, and he'll get up on my lap only if he's feeling insecure. Otherwise, he's beside me or off in one of his little hidey-holes.

He does love certain treats, so I think that maybe I'll give your techniques a try. It sure can't hurt!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Darwin is calm as a clubbed seal when getting his claws trimmed but Namir is a bit trickier so I do with him as I always did with tricky cats.
Wrap him like a baby in a big towel and sit him in my lap with his back to my stomach and take out one leg at a time and trim.
Not all cats are easy to do this with if they are extremely anti nail trimming but I find that most calms down a lot and resist far from as much. Namir has even started to purr a couple of times.

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Just a thought.

View attachment 2236

For all of you thinking of it...Please DO NOT use this for bathing!:Laugh::Surprise:

Yes calm is the word and treats will help. Once he is used to it, it will be a breeze!