Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nail Trimmers

michellephd

Lairian
I was wondering if everyone can give me their opinion on nail trimmers. The "scissor" type that fit over your fingers, or the "plyer" type that fit in the palm of your hand? Who has what kind? What is the pros and cons of each?

Thanks again!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, never used that type, we use the regular clippers for humans, it's easy and simple.:Laugh:

Last edited:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I just use regular human finger/toe nail clippers. I'm afraid to use animal nail trimmers.:Sweat:

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I heard the guillotine clippers are hard to use and after handling them at the store I agreed. I didn't think to use human clippers but I found a pair that I absolutely love! They are light-weight and very easy to control. I would definitely recommend them.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Scissors-Styptic-Carrying-Colors/dp/B000H5B2GE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1317580388&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Bamboo Cat Nail Scissors with Styptic File and Carrying Case, Colors Vary: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zSGz4BxQL.@@AMEPARAM@@31zSGz4BxQL[/ame]

sammisue

Lairian
I use human nail clippers and turn them sideways (so much easier and they don't splinter the nail!)
I found it very difficult to use pet nail clippers. Sorry I am of no help!

Sillysphynx24

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Its all in what your comfortable using. They will all work on cat nails. I use a mixute of all of them depending on what I grab. Human clippers are fine, but I do like the small scissor like cat ones better than the ones you squeeze with your hand for cats. Those are better for dogs! Good luck!!

michellephd

Lairian
I was once told to NOT use human nail clippers because they will split the nail. Apparently all you nail clipper people aren't finding that happening? What is your trick to NOT splitting the nail?

Cathie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yep, Just turn them sideways. I like to turn the nail sideways anyways so I can see the quick.

Monchchichi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use toenail clippers for humans. Works the best for me. I just turn them sideways so I can see the qwik.

Back