Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nails

lexe

Lairian
ohkay so I have a question concerning nails her front nail bed has been removed but her back are brittle and splitting is this normal She new to our family and during are bath I noticed it she up to date with the vet from what I was told were going later around next week..but she won’t use the litter box and she shows signs that it hurts

Attachments

• B1DB7211-FDC8-4BC8-A85A-C75D65A8907D.jpeg
    B1DB7211-FDC8-4BC8-A85A-C75D65A8907D.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 71

Yoda mom

Staff member
@lexe , Welcome
Bless you for opening your heart and home to her - what is her name ?

Can you look at the bottom of her paw pads for any abrasions , irritations between toes , stuck litter ?
My adoptee had an abrasion on his paw pad edge
Be sure the vet takes a good look at the underside and between toes .

You can call the vet and ask of you should soak it before your visit next week .
my boy gets gunky nails.
I needed to get out the black grime that gets stuck in the skin folds around his nails
I discovered oil free alcohol fre Walmart equate makeup remover wipes for 99 cents works wonders !
I take each toe amd gently wipe amd gently push out the nail gunk - yikes I got out a chunk!
he was much more comfortable after .

The vet did give antiobitcs for the pillow foot abrasion on his paw pad
So be sure to give a close look at each one for irritations .

Your vet will instruct you on the best course of action after her check .

(Just wanted to share some info the toe / foot issues I have been thru and what helped )

Please keep us updated

Want type of litter box ? Unscented litter ? Same litter box type amd litter she used before

Ask the vet on if she should have a check for any urinart tract infection ps we see sometimes with UTIs

Sphynx Cat Help Center

Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.

Nail Gunk /makeup remover wipes

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@lexe I know one of ours back nails looks brittle because she bites them lol. I have seen other members share they have the same thing with only the back nails from chewing. I’d start clipping weekly and it should reduce the problem, my gut says you will find the issue is from chewing. If not, next vet check you can ask.

lexe

Lairian
@lexe I know one of ours back nails looks brittle because she bites them lol. I have seen other members share they have the same thing with only the back nails from chewing. I’d start clipping weekly and it should reduce the problem, my gut says you will find the issue is from chewing. If not, next vet check you can ask.

Oh my gosh thank you so just clip every time she gets bathed? She also had really really bad buildup in her nail bed that she had a couple sores in her toes

lexe

Lairian
@lexe , Welcome
Bless you for opening your heart and home to her - what is her name ?

Can you look at the bottom of her paw pads for any abrasions , irritations between toes , stuck litter ?
My adoptee had an abrasion on his paw pad edge
Be sure the vet takes a good look at the underside and between toes .

You can call the vet and ask of you should soak it before your visit next week .
my boy gets gunky nails.
I needed to get out the black grime that gets stuck in the skin folds around his nails
I discovered oil free alcohol fre Walmart equate makeup remover wipes for 99 cents works wonders !
I take each toe amd gently wipe amd gently push out the nail gunk - yikes I got out a chunk!
he was much more comfortable after .

The vet did give antiobitcs for the pillow foot abrasion on his paw pad
So be sure to give a close look at each one for irritations .

Your vet will instruct you on the best course of action after her check .

(Just wanted to share some info the toe / foot issues I have been thru and what helped )

Please keep us updated

Want type of litter box ? Unscented litter ? Same litter box type amd litter she used before

Ask the vet on if she should have a check for any urinart tract infection ps we see sometimes with UTIs

Sphynx Cat Help Center

Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.

Nail Gunk /makeup remover wipes

Thank you! thank you! This helped sooo much! Her build up was so bad she had a couple sore in there! :cry: But now she’s clean and clipped she walking better and even voiding in the litter box why more! She’s only had a couple accidents since her name is keiko but we’re not sure if we’re gonna keep it that only because my youngest daughters name is emiko and it’s sooo much alike

Yoda mom

Staff member
@lexe, thank you for the good news updates!
name ideas ?

Bless you for taking care of her so well! I am sire she feels soo much better after her spa day pedicure!
Good news on the litter box use too! Her feet were probably sore and the litter could have been bothering the sores

Are the sores improving?

Many of us use Vetericyn spray for skin issues - I like thst it is non toxic

When my boy had pillow foot open sores on foot treated by vet she had me soak his toes
I soaked his paw in a cup for a few seconds - lol as long as possible -
I wrapped him in a towel amd exposed the sore foot to soak in a mug -
I put a teenie tiny couple of drops of povodine in a mug of water and mix till clear (Walmart brand ) that red stuff they use in hospitals -

I dip his foot in it 3xs a day and pat dry with a towel -
It really helped
You can ask your vet is this would be appropriate

Keep us updated often!
Be sure to clean any accident spots with an enzyme cleaner like natures miracle cat solution or
anti icky poo unscented ( a breeder recommended the unscented ) Anti-Icky-Poo is recommended by veterinarians more than any other product
It's online at several places FYI -not in stores

I check amd clean, trim nails 2-3 times a week
Trimming the ones necessary - some nails grow longer and faster than others .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    5 KB · Views: 63
Back