Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nasty cut on paw

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Frida cut her paw on Wednesday morning. We rushed her to the vet right away as it was bleeding a lot. It did turn out to be quite a nasty cut. The vet cleaned and bandaged it up and tomorrow I will bring her in to have the bandage changed. My question is this... If the vet says the cut is healing not infected ect can I do any subsequent bandage changes myself ? And are there any questions I should arm myself with for the vet visit ?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I think when it comes to paws vets prefer to do it to keep a closer eye on possible infections. Using the litter box creates a bigger risk of bacteria etc. Don't be afraid to ask the vet if he thinks you are capable. Good luck and happy healing wishes are sent to your baby.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sending healing thoughts to Frida. How nerve wrecking ..

MisoLina 24 has an excellent point about home bandaging dangers of being too tight..

Unless you are shown and are totally comfortable on how to bandage and test for proper fit by the vet ,I would have them do it. They usually have more hands available to help wrap correctly and efficiently..

Depending on the vets practice, I am not sure if they charge a full office visit for the bandage change.

I put together a little first aid kitty kit.. To include some of the self adhering bandage tape at the pet supply store for about $5 a roll. I added a digital thermometer from the dollar store and keep a bottle of vetericyn spray on hand.

Sending prayers for a speedy healthy recovery for Frida.

**I would go with Frida's vet recommendation especially with that nasty of a cut.. Please keep us updated

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone for your advice. Frida seems to be suing well poor thing is just tired of the bandage and tired of the cone. Other than that she is her normal self.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 64

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey everyone we just got home from the vet. Turns out Frida no longer needs a bandage on her foot. The vet says it is healing fine and will get better faster with the bandage off. She still has to wear her cone for a bit and I have to keep an eye on it/ keep it clean, but all is well. I am super relieved. I'm glad I didn't do the stitches as was suggested initially ( they would have had to sedate her and I didn't feel right about it) thank you all for your support.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just thought I would share a pic of the paw since she presented it to me so nicely just now. You can see the cut on her two centre toes. It looks much better than before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 58

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that was a deep gash. Another mystery on here today...any guess how it happened? So happy to hear it is healing up fast...whew!

Patti

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was taking care of my sisters pet rats for a couple weeks while she was away. Frida couldn't resist sticking her paw in there the day before they went home. When I agreed to look after them I was worried she might hurt them, little did I know it would be the reverse situation. Never again.

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there. Just thought I would do an update for anyone who is interested. Frida is doing great. She didn't have to wear the cone today. Her paw is looking much better it no longer seems to itch or bother her anymore. What felt at the time like a disastrous tragedy now looks like a minor crisis looking back. It is amazing how fast kittens heal.
I included a pic to show the difference a few days can make.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 47

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks everyone for your advice. Frida seems to be suing well poor thing is just tired of the bandage and tired of the cone. Other than that she is her normal self.
Poor frida she doesnt look happy bless her, get well soon sweetie xxx

naomi

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you all! Frida just had her bath today and her paw looks fantastic!
image.jpg
You can see where there will most likely be a permanent scar but the cut is all healed. Such a difference in just over a week.

Cat Dancer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
So glad to hear Frida's paw is healing nicely. And about the potential scar.... Some people think scars are cool, they add character ;) Lol

Back