Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Natural Instinct raw cat food. Taurine and supplements.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman I currently use the Iceland pure products (almost half the price only around $19 on chewy in USA for 33 oz. -perhaps avail or like in your area)
This one recommended by @Yoda mom looks good as far as omega 3 and 6. Just make sure whatever bottle you buy doesn't go rancid before you use it up....sometimes it's better to buy a smaller size or else it defeats the purpose of the whole thing.

I'll say one other thing about buying real fish vs supplement. The sardines usually cost less than raw cat food, so feeding some sardines brings down the average cost of the food. When you buy a liquid supplement, you are adding to the cost.

Last edited:

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@Condo commando Thank you very much for all of the links, advice and information you have given me! I am going to read what you have linked me and process everything read and that has been written! I could start off with sardines in a tin and only feed once a month like @Sheldon13 Is the sardine/anchovy oil just as good as an actual sardine and contains the same amount of omega 3's? I will look into the raw frozen sardines! Thank you! Do you have to do anything with them before feeding? @Condo commando I wish they had ready prepared raw sardines that you don't have to do anything to. Is there anything you can put on it to entice them to eat it? Can you put it in with their raw meat? Thank you for the explanation! :) I emailed Natural Instinct to enquire about the fish one and they said it contains white fish 43.5%, salmon 40% and herring 15%. They also said they put flaxseed oil in their ranges not salmon oil but I read somewhere salmon oil is not the same as flaxseed oil and salmon oil is better. Is that correct? Do you think the Natural Instinct fish range has the appropriate fish in? And would that be okay to feed a few times a week until I can figure out which sardines to buy. It says on the turkey one it contains 4.5% British turkey heart. I will look into frozen turkey, chicken and ducks hearts and ones with more turnover. Thank you for advising me! I will look into all of the links and read them all. I will also read that article! Thank you very much! @Condo commando Lovely to meet you too! @SallyJaneAnn by now you should already have your lovely Peanut or picking him up sometime today. Congratulations on your lovely Peanut! Nutrition is definitely so important! which natural instinct do you feed and what do you feed for Omega 3's and 6? I am glad to hear it! I always have to ask people here and get people's opinions and or experiences before I do anything so I definitely agree! Thank you very much Sally! I wish you and your lovely Prince all the very best too! Let me know how everything goes with his arrival! I am in the North East, in Newcastle. Talk soon! X @Yoda mom Thank you for letting me know! Do you think fish oil would be just as good? I don't know if they sell anything similar to the sardine anchovy oil in the UK. @Condo commando Thank you very much for all of this information and I am going to look into all of the links and the article! All of your information has been very helpful as well as everybody else's! I'm very appreciative!

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can’t answer all those question lol, but yes you can add the sardines to the raw food. Also, the oil is going to contain more Omega 3s due to its concentrated nature.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
It's fine! So I can mix them into the raw meat? Thank you for letting me know! Do you think this salmon oil is good? Or this one? It's made from herring, Mackerel, sardines and anchovies.
How much oil do you add to the food and how often? It says online that you should give 20-55mg of fish oil per pound of body weight. Is this just for salmon oil or all fish oils? Is it different for herring, mackerel, sardines and anchovies oil? Would it be better to just feed raw frozen sardines or fresh sardines rather than four types of fish in oil that all contain thiaminase enzymes which break down and can cause a deficiency of thiamine?
Would these raw frozen sardines be okay? Frozen Whole Sardine Fish 8kgs Working Dog DELIVERED
How long would 8kg last? I emailed the people who sell them and they said it's better to not cut the head and tail as they are a important source of nutrition and calcium. But it's always best to be safe when They contain little bones. They said they are sourced from Japan. If I were to grind them, what grinder would you recommend? Is it completely safe after grinding with the bones?
Or Whole Sardines
If I were to buy the tinned sardines, do I just buy the ones in water? And feed the whole tin once a month? How many sardines typically would that be? Or do you feed once a month as well as adding the oil? Or do you feed the tinned sardines more than once a month without adding the oil? Are the ones in the tin completely boneless? Are they fresh?
Would this be okay for Taurine supplementation? Turkey Heart (adult) - Purrform
Or this? Chicken Heart (adult) - Purrform
Should I just stick with feeding one of them or sometimes switch it up? Should I feed about two or three of them per week and add it into the raw meat to entice? Or would that unbalance the raw meat? Can you mix any raw meat with other raw meat?
I read the article about supplementation of taurine in food. So it won't unbalance however much taurine is currently in the raw meat? Do you think it's best to sometimes feed turkey/chicken hearts and then sometimes use taurine supplements? Thank you if anybody can answer any of the questions I have! It really does help!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Also, would cats be able to eat a whole raw turkey/chicken heart? Would it not make a mess? Do you not have to grind it up or cut it up to make it easier for them to eat? Thank you again!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman there are soo many good options out there ..

be sure to check out the sticky threads in the raw section for great info and members experiences. remember at the very bottom of page threads are " similar threads" that are helpful too,

one thing I was thinking about , is there a holistic vet in your area to build a good working relationship with to help ?
I do not feed raw so I can't chime in on many of your great questions.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I can’t see the pics on my phone, but those are good fish for an oil

I always added 3 pumps of oil to a pound of raw. Pumps may vary in amount though.

I don’t think it matters which way you go, oil or fish, as long as it is well sourced.

I always feed sardines in water. It’s usually 3 sardines in a tin and Ellie will eat about 2 of them. It does not hurt to do both oil and an occasional fish snack.

Raw sardines 8 kg would last a long time for one cat. I agree better to eat the whole animal. Fish bones in general are not good, but sardines are very small and their bones are flexible and crunchy. Even if you get the tinned kind there will be rib bones in it. If you grind them up you are even safer. You really wouldn’t need a meat grinder for sardines though, a food processor is sufficient.

I would feed hearts 1-2 times a week. 1 is really enough if it is the whole meal made of hearts. Or you can throw in a single little chicken heart every day or 2. Shouldn’t be too messy as long as it’s bite sized.

Supplements are fine. Raw is always better though.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@Yoda mom Definitely! It would be nice if I could get some advice on those options and people's opinions. I will check out the threads! Thank you! I have looked to see if there is any holistic vets in my area and there doesn't seem to be any. Is there any holistic vets online? That would be helpful if there was. What do you feed your lovely animals? @Sheldon13 Do you know if the herring, mackerel, sardine and anchovies oil contain thiaminase enzymes or is it just the actual raw fish that contain thiaminase enzymes? How often should I give the herring, mackerel, sardines and anchovies oil as well as giving the sardines in a tin? Should I give the sardines once a month and the herring, mackerel, sardines and anchovies oil once a week? Are the rib bones safe in the sardines in a tin? So do I just mix two or three of the tinned sardines in with the raw meat? Do you think the Purrform raw frozen turkey and chicken hearts are good quality? Thank you very much for answering my questions! It's very helpful!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I always limit the dry stuff just because I want as much moisture in the diet as possible so I would sooner go for canned. The bones should be fine, they are very brittle. People eat them with no problem too and they just fall apart.

I don’t know about oils vs fish and what the micronutrients are, sorry. Wish I could help with that. All I can tell you is the sardine/anchovy oil I bought was specifically designed for pets.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@Sheldon13 Can cats eat the bones? If they are brittle. Can I remove them for the first few times? It's fine! I do appreciate all that you can tell me! How often should I feed the tinned sardines? How many sardines should I feed per week? Thank you again!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman members certainly will chime in their experiences ..

I just wanted to jump in as a friendly reminder . **DO NOT feed give or allow pets to Chew, eat Cooked bones! they are brittle and splinter and can be lethal

I won't even let my dogs chew on marrow bones from the store after a bad experience with splintering chunks off

"Cooked bones are dangerous to pets for a number of reasons. The most obvious is a risk of obstruction (a blockage) in the digestive tract. This can occur in the throat, stomach, intestines or rectum. The further along the tract the blockage is, the chance of removal via endoscope reduces and surgery is required. Further to that is the risk of internal damage. Cooked bones become brittle and have jagged edges that can perforate the bowel with life threatening consequences."

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman members certainly will chime in their experiences ..

I just wanted to jump in as a friendly reminder . **DO NOT feed give or allow pets to Chew, eat Cooked bones! they are brittle and splinter and can be lethal

I won't even let my dogs chew on marrow bones from the store after a bad experience with splintering chunks off

"Cooked bones are dangerous to pets for a number of reasons. The most obvious is a risk of obstruction (a blockage) in the digestive tract. This can occur in the throat, stomach, intestines or rectum. The further along the tract the blockage is, the chance of removal via endoscope reduces and surgery is required. Further to that is the risk of internal damage. Cooked bones become brittle and have jagged edges that can perforate the bowel with life threatening consequences."
That's what I'm concerned about if they are brittle and can break easily. Do you know if the sardines bones in a tin are as bad as cooked bones? Do you think it's better if I remove the bones? Or cut little pieces of the sardines up without the bones to eat? Thank you!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman their are so many thoughts and options on raw feeding. definitely NO cooked bones at all.

personally, I remove all bones from any canned/tinned fish I give to the big dogs once in a while for a snack.
I personally don't give tinned or canned people products to the kitties.

with my luck they would find that one bone even if not cooked in the tin and cause a problem.
I just always err on the side of caution

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman their are so many thoughts and options on raw feeding. definitely NO cooked bones at all.

personally, I remove all bones from any canned/tinned fish I give to the big dogs once in a while for a snack.
I personally don't give tinned or canned people products to the kitties.

with my luck they would find that one bone even if not cooked in the tin and cause a problem.
I just always err on the side of caution
I just read in the description of the tinned sardines that it contains small, edible bones. But I don't know if they are edible for animals. I feed Natural Instinct raw meat that contains bones. Do you think they are the same kind of bones? I've never dealt with sardines before or anything like this. I'm not even a meat person myself. I could cut the sardines up in tiny pieces and make sure there are no bones in there. Or just use the herring, mackerel, sardines and anchovies oil for now. They sell boneless sardines in a tin but it's in olive oil not water. I could get the boneless sardines in a tin in olive oil and just thoroughly wash them in water to get all of the olive oil off. Thank you again!

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I personally believe they are edible for animals and people both. You wouldn’t be able to pull the bones out at all. They are too small and fall apart easily. It’s not the same as say, canned salmon which might gave a bone in it that could splinter.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
And I would say half a tin once weekly, but that’s just my opinion.