Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Natural Instinct - UK Raw Brand

moodyxmoon

Lairian
Hi all!

Just wanted some feedback on the brand of food I've chosen and been using for Tak.

Its called Natural Instinct and I order it online frozen in bulk - so far I really think she enjoys it, and I must say its quite convenient to use.

I have looked into all the flavours and chosen only those with hearts and liver in (for the sake of taurine); and then was advised by my Vet to make sure she gets enough calcium.

So I went with a multivitamin powder that she gets the recommended kitten amount once a day as I'm new to raw and off of the top of my head don't yet understand the percentages and ratios - due to their being varied sources on the internet about it !

I let Tak eat as much as she wants four times a day as per packet directions as shes still only a young kitten, one of those meals contains the vitamin powder.

At the moment she is on the Beef and Chicken Flavour - the packet stats are as followers :

Ingredients
British beef heart (49.5%), British chicken with bone (44.5%) British beef liver(5%), Scottish salmon oil, sea kelp, bilberry powder, Brewer's yeast

Analysis
Moisture: 64.1%, Protein: 16.3%, Fat: 15.7%, Fibre: 1.0%, Calcium: 0.8%, Phosphorus: 0.5%, Sodium: 0.1%, Inorganic Matter 2.4%

In the Analysis section - are these the normal stats ( or good stats) for calcium ? Does she even need the multivitamin powder shes currently on. If shes getting an 'overdose' of vitamins will she just urinate the majority of them out - or will there be negative side effects?

I've just read this article which I was linked to via a raw portion thread - Don't Let Calcium/Phosphorous Ratios Scare You - Feline Nutrition Foundation

One of the side effects of too much calcium was constipation - which I think she's possibly got to a small extent; however she is just getting over a stomach blockage caused by an unauthorized inappropriate cat treat given to her by a visitor. ( She wasn't on the supplement at the time of ingesting the treat - the vet visits led to me getting the supplement after a cat about raw food and bone density in kitten development).

She'll also get the occasional chicken heart as a treat - so I'm not worried about taurine levels at the moment!

Just wondered if any raw food veterans could help me out - I just want to be the best Sphynx Momma I can be !

Attachments

• rawfood.png
    rawfood.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 103

moodyxmoon

Lairian
I'll tag @Xandria for you cause she knows a lot about raw food. And maybe @Catzzzmeow or @Yoda mom can give you the link to the raw food thread. Thanks!

OH thank you my love!

Hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing - there seems to be little knowledge about raw feeding in my area of the UK - people in my small town give me very bizarre looks when my partner and I are asking for chicken and cow hearts in the butches haha!

So its nice to have a forum outlet for any panicking mom questions!

Back