Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Hi, does anybody know any natural sphynx cat shampoo that I can order online in the UK? What sphynx cat shampoo do you use? And what is your sphynx bath routine? Do you use scrub gloves and are they gentle? Which scrub gloves would you recommend? Any useful tips and recommendations would be great! Let me know, please! Thank you!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi. I use Dorwest shampoo and it works really well on Rankle. I get it from a local shop near Ipswich but you might be able to find it online. Photos below
IMG_20200119_152113.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_152134.jpg
    IMG_20200119_152134.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200119_152129.jpg
    IMG_20200119_152129.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 43

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman also tagging @Cinafina @Staceyxxx and other UK members to share product sources.

when I got my first sphynx someone recommended exfoliating gloves. I was worried it would be too rough.
they work great. I wet and put shampoo on the gloves .. helps to hold slippery kitty too.

@Beckinboots thank you for sharing the recommendation and picture :)

Last edited:

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Hi. I use Dorwest shampoo and it works really well on Rankle. I get it from a local shop near Ipswich but you might be able to find it online. Photos below
View attachment 97337
Hi! I found it online and on amazon which is good. I currently use Johnson's baby shampoo but have read that it is not PH balanced and I have always wanted something more natural. How long have you been using dorwest shampoo for? Is it moisturizing and non drying? Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into reviews of it!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi! I found it online and on amazon which is good. I currently use Johnson's baby shampoo but have read that it is not PH balanced and I have always wanted something more natural. How long have you been using dorwest shampoo for? Is it moisturizing and non drying? Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into reviews of it!
I've been using it since we got Rankle a year ago. I don't know about moisturising but it doesn't dry his skin out. He always feels very soft afterwards. Hope that helps.

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman also tagging @Staceyxxx and other UK members to share product sources.

when I got my first sphynx someone recommended exfoliating gloves. I was worried it would be too rough.
they work great. I wet and put shampoo on the gloves .. helps to hold slippery kitty too.

@Beckinboots thank you for sharing the recommendation and picture :)
Thank you! I am going to look into buying some exfoliating gloves! What shampoo do you use and do you have any recommendations? I wish I could somehow make my own homemade natural shampoo! Thank you again!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman I am in the US.... I was using baby shampoo with my first sphynx. I joined the lair and learned about the Ph level difference like you mentioned. several members recommended hylyt shampoo soap free hypoallergenic easy rinse. I saw it at my vets office.
it is easy to find in the US...

I do like Rankle @Beckinboots review of the Dorwest :) using it without any issues

I was worried about exfoliating gloves being to rough.. nope.. works great...

I have spa day haters so using a recommended stokkes flexibath member hairlessblessing told me about years ago.
I had 3 back surgeries , 2 shoulder surgeries, keee and wrist.. lol . so putting flexibath on bathroom lower counter with drain plug out positioned over the sink helps make spa day easier for me too. it is small and folds for easy storage

There are sphynx companies in the US that make their own sphynx shampoo products as I am sure in your area too.

I have not switched from Hylyt ... my oldests are 9 1/2 so feeding and using spa day products that have worked over the years for my 4 nakids.

several of us use or keep on hand d'grease pet shampoo. a little goes a long way and needs to be rinsed extremely well.
I have used a teenie bit with the hylyt
@cattzzmeow uses it with her quad squad

lots of great choices out there members can recommend and you will find what works best

keep us updated ! and love follow up reviews of products and sources,.
helpful to the lair family

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
@oilyanimalhuman I am in the US.... I was using baby shampoo with my first sphynx. I joined the lair and learned about the Ph level difference like you mentioned. several members recommended hylyt shampoo soap free hypoallergenic easy rinse. I saw it at my vets office.
it is easy to find in the US...

I do like Rankle @Beckinboots review of the Dorwest :) using it without any issues

I was worried about exfoliating gloves being to rough.. nope.. works great...

I have spa day haters so using a recommended stokkes flexibath member hairlessblessing told me about years ago.
I had 3 back surgeries , 2 shoulder surgeries, keee and wrist.. lol . so putting flexibath on bathroom lower counter with drain plug out positioned over the sink helps make spa day easier for me too. it is small and folds for easy storage

There are sphynx companies in the US that make their own sphynx shampoo products as I am sure in your area too.

I have not switched from Hylyt ... my oldests are 9 1/2 so feeding and using spa day products that have worked over the years for my 4 nakids.

several of us use or keep on hand d'grease pet shampoo. a little goes a long way and needs to be rinsed extremely well.
I have used a teenie bit with the hylyt
@cattzzmeow uses it with her quad squad

lots of great choices out there members can recommend and you will find what works best

keep us updated ! and love follow up reviews of products and sources,.
helpful to the lair family
I could buy some of the dorwest shampoo and test it out. It does sound good. Bless you! Stokkes flexibath does look and sound very helpful and easy to use! Instead of bending and kneeling down. There's this shampoo on amazon also: but there's not many reviews and it hasn't been tested out on a hairless sphynx, just cats with hair. That's lovely! I definitely will! Thank you! X

Yoda mom

Staff member
@oilyanimalhuman I always err on the side of caution for skin sake and go with products recommendations here to play it safe.. just me

keep us updated !
I did make a stokkes like bath at first using a rubbermaid 7 gallon tote I cut a hole in the corner.
now I use it to store the dog microfiber drying towels I prefer to the heavy people towels on sphynx and dog spa day

hugs n head smooches
keep us updated

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
I agree. I always go with people's experiences and recommendations rather than what companies are claiming about their products. I will keep you updated! It's always a good idea to try and make a diy alternative before buying the real thing because you never know! I will! Take care, you and your lovely animals! X

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I used to use earthbath, they do all different kinds, like
Oatmeal or aleo Vera I used to get it on amazon think it’s a American company that makes it, I used this because it was home made and environmental friendly. Now I use one the dermatologist gives me! Xx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh forgot to say I bathe Binky using scrub gloves as she loves been exfoliated haha and it keeps a grip of her, also I bathe her every 3 weeks, but I wash her eyes, nose and cheeks daily! Xx

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
I used to use earthbath, they do all different kinds, like
Oatmeal or aleo Vera I used to get it on amazon think it’s a American company that makes it, I used this because it was home made and environmental friendly. Now I use one the dermatologist gives me! Xx
Hi! I was thinking of earthbath but I read on one comment that it was drying which caused more frequent bathing. Do you think it was drying or moisturizing? Did you use the oatmeal and aloe Vera one? Did your lovely Binky have skin issues? I am going to order some gentle scrub gloves soon! Do you wash her eyes, nose and cheeks with the prescription shampoo or just water? Thank you for your comments! Xx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi, yeah I used the oatmeal and aloe Vera it was ok but due to Binky skin issue the dermatologist gave me shampoo as we had to just change and do everything to get her skin issues under control! Yeah I clean her eyes and nose with a cotton pad in Luke warm water, I clean her chin and cheeks with salt water using water from the kettle that’s cooled as it keeps the black heads under control!

I will attach a picture of the shampoo the dermatologist gave me unsure if you need a prescription for it!

Binky attended the dermatologist monthly for 7 months she takes atopica and cerena which is a travel tablet which helps with itching and previously took a steroid, also. We slowly reduced the steroid to half then every 2 nd day now she’s completely stopped taking them for a few weeks so just monitoring her, next step will be reducing the cerena. The dermatologist said Binky will be on atopica for life but we may get it down to using It like 3 times a week to keep her allergies under control. Just need to monitor her skin and trial and error!

Attachments

• EF768AC3-86ED-4AD9-ABD9-01028E43F7B3.png
    EF768AC3-86ED-4AD9-ABD9-01028E43F7B3.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Pics of Binkys skin when it was inflamed! Xx

Attachments

• A7762AF2-97D7-465A-AC0B-34539422D2DE.jpeg
    A7762AF2-97D7-465A-AC0B-34539422D2DE.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 45
  • F26D0D70-C3E0-4C82-AA02-E7CAE92655BE.jpeg
    F26D0D70-C3E0-4C82-AA02-E7CAE92655BE.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 33
  • CCBC32EB-1C56-47BC-9C16-662788C6641E.jpeg
    CCBC32EB-1C56-47BC-9C16-662788C6641E.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 37
  • C4F62D9A-D4F7-46A1-8055-46BAC05F82AF.jpeg
    C4F62D9A-D4F7-46A1-8055-46BAC05F82AF.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DB4124DE-5A78-4364-8CA0-C57B683CF0A7.jpeg
    DB4124DE-5A78-4364-8CA0-C57B683CF0A7.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 32

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Hi, yeah I used the oatmeal and aloe Vera it was ok but due to Binky skin issue the dermatologist gave me shampoo as we had to just change and do everything to get her skin issues under control! Yeah I clean her eyes and nose with a cotton pad in Luke warm water, I clean her chin and cheeks with salt water using water from the kettle that’s cooled as it keeps the black heads under control!

I will attach a picture of the shampoo the dermatologist gave me unsure if you need a prescription for it!

Binky attended the dermatologist monthly for 7 months she takes atopica and cerena which is a travel tablet which helps with itching and previously took a steroid, also. We slowly reduced the steroid to half then every 2 nd day now she’s completely stopped taking them for a few weeks so just monitoring her, next step will be reducing the cerena. The dermatologist said Binky will be on atopica for life but we may get it down to using It like 3 times a week to keep her allergies under control. Just need to monitor her skin and trial and error!
Bless lovely Binky! She's beautiful! Do you not know what caused the allergies? You should try putting coconut oil topically on her and even internally could help. Poor lovely Binky! I'm glad she's stopped taking that and is fine! Let me know how she is when you have reduced the cerena. It must be something that has caused the allergies. Have you changed your laundry detergent? And litter? Have you looked into raw feeding? I've read good things about that with animals allergies. How old was she when the allergies started? Did she have any other symptoms? It would be nice if one day she doesn't have to take anything and she has no more allergies! If you knew what was causing her allergies. All the best to you and your lovely Binky! Xx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah I have a whole list of things she’s allergic too, but the vet said most cats are allergic to these things but it’s just the way she was reacting to things previously she was fine with. Binky was just over 1 when she developed allergies, she was really sick as a kitten and had parasites and a virus in her tummy so took months to figure that out and they think the allergies developed through her having no immune system. Yeah a long road, but I just love her too much so I am just glad she isn’t in discomfort. She has a huge sassy personality and is very funny which makes dealing with all her issues a lot easier! Xxx

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Maybe long term exposure to these things caused the allergies just like if you feed your animal the same protein from meat for long term, they tend to become allergic to that protein in the meat and have a reaction. Poor lovely Binky! I am also glad! As long as she is happy, discomfort-free and is in the best health she possibly can be. Animals have better personalities than most humans in this world most of the time! Lovely animals. Xxx

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Forsure wee animals are the best {= yeah maybe I thought about that also, having the same protein for a while could cause allergic reactions, it’s always trial and error and what works for one doesn’t always work for another, Xx

oilyanimalhuman

Lairian
Hi! I've been reading about conditioners and have seen a few people writing that they use a conditioner on their animals. Do you think this is a good conditioner to use?
If anybody has any recommendations and or uses any earthbath conditioners, let me know what you think of them! Thank you!

Back