Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

pearlpollard

Lairian
Hi guys!

Just wondering how many people feed Nature's Variety raw food? I have tired a few different kinds of their meat choices with my girl. She came to me eating a homemade raw food and over about a month or so I slowly switched her to the nature's variety. She loves it! I tried the chicken first then the rabbit then recently tried the lamb. I noticed since feeding the lamb that her poos were more stinky and she just recently had a bout with diahrrea and vomiting. I have her on boiled chicken and a little pumpkin now- instructions from my vet. On Wednesday I'm going to slowly start with raw again. Thinking about just going back to chicken and sticking with that. Any similar experiences? Good reviews? Bad reviews?

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Could be an allergy? No harm sticking with the one that works.

I tried the raw bites but my two turned their noses up. Brats ;)

pearlpollard

Lairian
Haha! :) My girl seems like she'll eat anything! I haven't found something she turns her nose up at yet. I was told to add a little rice in with her boiled chicken and she threw up the rice. I was a little apprehensive about putting it in there, because I know grain free diets are recommended. I don't think I'll add it in again.

Calicocious

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I noticed with the Natures Variety mine had some tummy issues. Nothing big. It just seemed a bit rich for them. I had better luck with the Primal turkey or the Stella and Chewys freeze dried. That I always keep a bag of on hand in case of a power outage and I lose the frozen.

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I tend to stick to Primal turkey, beef/salmon and chicken but have used Natures
Instinct chicken, which was fine, but my guy is not a fan of NI rabbit, can't remember if we tried lamb. My guy also dislikes Primal pheasant. Would back up like it was contaminated. I make sure I use more than one flavour in case one is not available some day. I stopped using Natures Instinct because they are no longer a complete cat diet in Canada. The formulation is geared towards dogs, no longer having enough taurine for cats. But I do mix the chicken in the Primal once and awhile when I want to have him a break from fish. If she doesn't like it why force it? Especially if she likes the other flavours. Hope she is feeling better

pearlpollard

Lairian
I'm actually thinking that I'm going to make a switch to Primal. I think the Natures Variety is just too much for her tummy. She's not seeming to digest it well. She had a bit of smelly diarrhea again tonight so I mixed in a little pumpkin with her food in hopes to firm her poo up a little. Hopefully I'll find something that makes her and her tummy more happy soon! (n)

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Try the Primal turkey. I use 100% pure pumpkin and put it in a small ice cube tray. I feed 1 block a day. My guy LOVES it, would eat it off a spoon. Seems to do him well. If she doesn't do well with turkey try the beef/salmon. After you know each is ok individually I mix them so as to give a different flavour blend so he doesnt get stuck on one flavour only. Once they ran out if turkey and he was a little pissy for awhile...hope she feels better soon. I know too well the diaheara nightmare but raw solved it for my guy. The other reason I like Primal is it's firmer than Natures Instinct, seems to fall out of the bag easier when defrosting it and not stick to the bowl.
Oh! Do you feed any treats that could be causing the runs?

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Calicocious- Primal also does a freeze dried one too. Expensive but good in a pinch if you forgot you take some food out of the freezer or like you said in a power outage. My guy likes Stella but the fish ones are too much for his tummy. Only time since starting raw his belly acted up. I guess they all have their preferences and tolerances ay?

pearlpollard

Lairian
I give her Natures Variety raw boost treats. Not every day though. Usually just after bath time or after taking a trip to the vet. I tried to stick with one brand for everything hoping it would do well for her stomach.

Back