Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Ne1 Live in Las Vegas,Nv?

Jenna311

Lairian
Hello my name is Jenna and im looking to get a sphynx cat but i have never really spent ne time around them and I want to make sure they are the right cat for the rest of my pet family. I was hoping to find some sphynx cat owners in Las Vegas,Nv who would be nice enough to let me come over i guess play with their cats. :)

thankyou.
Jenna

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Welcome to the Lair! What other sorts of pets do you have? My sphynx acts like a cross between, a dog, 2 year old and a little monkey...Crazy kitty playing most of the time and when she isn't she is the biggest cuddle bug in the house!

Goodluck in your search!

Jenna311

Lairian
Welcome to the Lair! What other sorts of pets do you have? My sphynx acts like a cross between, a dog, 2 year old and a little monkey...Crazy kitty playing most of the time and when she isn't she is the biggest cuddle bug in the house!

Goodluck in your search!

I have 2dogs (a pomeranian and a pit mix) and 1cat(exotic short hair). All three of them are best friends.And my old room mate had 7cats and my pit mix a exotic loved all of them.My pom is currently living with my parents, but she thinks she a cat any ways. lol.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We are in Southern Nevada, BUT unfortunately, we are pretty protective of our crew due to issues in the past (ie health issues- it is very easy to walk health problems into a cattery).

The best way to meet a Sphynx is to go to the cat shows when they are in the area- either CFA or TICA or to a pet home :)

Jenna311

Lairian
There are some members here that live in Vegas.
One is a breeder.

How do I find these people? I am planning on going to the cfa cat show that is going to be here in LV in Jan2011.and I am in contact with a very nice lady who breeds these cats in Northern Utah. I couldnt find any breeders in Nevada on the CFA website. Kinda new to the whole pure bred cat thing and with this type of rare breed I want to make sure that if I buy one I buy a healthy one from a great breeder.

Jenna311

Lairian
We are in Southern Nevada, BUT unfortunately, we are pretty protective of our crew due to issues in the past (ie health issues- it is very easy to walk health problems into a cattery).

The best way to meet a Sphynx is to go to the cat shows when they are in the area- either CFA or TICA or to a pet home :)

So you are breeder in Nv? What city? do u have a website?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Please be very careful with some of these breeders.
Most my friends do not want germs in their catterys.
Wrinkles breeder has 2 litters of kittens due in 2 weeks but she lives in San Diego.
Some of the breeders in Utah are horrid.

Jenna311

Lairian
Please be very careful with some of these breeders.
Most my friends do not want germs in their catterys.
Wrinkles breeder has 2 litters of kittens due in 2 weeks but she lives in San Diego.
Some of the breeders in Utah are horrid.

I dont know if I should put her catterys name on here but she seems like shes a good choice. The only thing that kinda made me question was when I asked when she would have kittens ready nxt she told me she pretty much always has them ready to go. I dont know much about cat breeders but being a rabbit breeder I know its not good to breed my does more than once a yr. I think the same goes for Dogs. And I know these these cats cost money.So I am not in a big hurry to get one I want to make sure they are exactly what I want first.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I dont know if I should put her catterys name on here but she seems like shes a good choice. The only thing that kinda made me question was when I asked when she would have kittens ready nxt she told me she pretty much always has them ready to go. I dont know much about cat breeders but being a rabbit breeder I know its not good to breed my does more than once a yr. I think the same goes for Dogs. And I know these these cats cost money.So I am not in a big hurry to get one I want to make sure they are exactly what I want first.

Breeding is the same for kitties. Its not good to breed them more than once a year either. They need adequate time to heal between litters. Maybe she has several Sires and Queens??? Maybe she has them on a cycle or something...there could be many possibilities.

Jenna311

Lairian
Breeding is the same for kitties. Its not good to breed them more than once a year either. They need adequate time to heal between litters. Maybe she has several Sires and Queens??? Maybe she has them on a cycle or something...there could be many possibilities.

I think she does have quite a few cats. And I know she will be showing her cat here in Vegas in Jan. So I guess I will find out then. :) Thankyou for your help.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You can't categorically say that a cat should only be bred once per year. If the cat is a heavy cycler and risks pyometra, it may be safer to breed twice in a year and retire that cat earlier in life. BUT I know quite a few catteries that always have kittens and older kittens, and I have to wonder how the kittens/older kittens/cats are taken care of and how they can keep all of them healthy without caging everyone 24-7.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
BIG RED FLAG! Any breeder that says they pretty much always have kittens available is probably more into money then they are into the health and welfare of their cats. Honestly, PM me if you want help with breeders in Utah, I know many of the Sphynx breeders here, and will happily point you towards and ethical one. There is one in paticular (which I'm hoping isn't the one you've been talking to!) that does sound good through e-mails and on the phone, but she's one of the worst breeders in the state, many of her kittens are sick, and she over breeds her queens, I know many that have been caught in her trap and while they loved their cat, ended up with huge vet bills, and a couple with dead kittens - Be very careful of the breeders here in Utah, this is coming from a sphynx owner and rescuer!

Edited when I realized how hard this sounds - I'm not saying all breeders with several litters are bad, I'm not saying all breeders in Utah are bad, but I do get some red flags up when a breeder has kittens of different ages always available - Also ask for PROOF of HCM screening! Any good sphynx breeder will be happy to provide proof both parents are HCM free, and in many cases may be able to show that on grandparents as well!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think it is the breeder we think it is.
Many breeders seem to be nice but they are not what you think.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jenna311 and welcome to Sphynxlair! Good luck with your search for a new Sphynx kitten! :Laugh:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome. As you can already see this forum is filled with knowledgable and friendly people.

Good for you for wanting to meet a Sphynx in person before committing to add one to your family. As mentioned earlier, cat shows are great places to see various breeds in action.

Good luck to you in your search. Your patience and research willb e rewarded!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome Jenna! Sounds like you are doing a great job in finding a sphynx to own you:Wink:
How exciting ad best of luck. Great idea on meeting one first.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It is the breeder that is being thought of- I've spoken to her too and she is very friendly, so I can ee why people end up getting cats from her.

I thought about getting a queen from there- that cattery is at almost every cat show I get out to.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome and good luck in your search!! Trust us all here, when you meet one you'll want one even more!!

Listen to M2M and Birthday Suit, they know what they are talking about and are veritable fountains of knowledge!!:BigSmile:

X

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ha- I'm still learning ;) My cattery is nowhere near perfect, but at least I ADMIT that and strive to improve every single day. Being on this site, I have learned a lot AND I've learned a lot from other members on here through email/PM.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ha- I'm still learning ;) My cattery is nowhere near perfect, but at least I ADMIT that and strive to improve every single day. Being on this site, I have learned a lot AND I've learned a lot from other members on here through email/PM.
And that's what makes a good breeder! Very few are perfect, those that say they are are usually the bad breeders! Good breeders are constantly trying to improve! I've been showing, rescueing, and breeding Italian Greyhounds for 5 years now, and 2 years with Afghan Hounds. I'm far from perfect, but I am constantly learning, and have come a long ways from where I started. Out of the 2 litters I've bred, I've had 2 group winning dogs, one that also took a couple best puppy in show ribbons, and except for 1 dog, all the pups that have been shown have finished. If I bred more frequently, I doubt I could say that. It's time consuming and expensive to do it right! Sure you can breed more, but quality is what I strive for, and if there's litter after litter, how can a breeder keep up with socialization and basic care of that many babies, let alone giving them the attention they need to be trusting, loving pets! Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I am a big believer in giving babies the best start, they need patience, they need love, and they need A LOT of care and attention long before they're ready to be placed in new homes to become well adjusted adults and meet their full potentials!

Back