Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Neala- Checked In & Checked Out

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Copied from blog...

Today started great. We got up around 8 AM, called the vet hospital and we were told Neala is doing great- can we pick her up at 10 AM? No problem!

We eat breakfast, we pack up the hotel room, pack up the car. We almost checked out, but I wanted to be able to come back if needed- for whatever reason, so we didn't.

We drove down to the vet and waited for Neala. The vet tech that was checking her out said that they were feeding her kitten food, without watering it down, and she was still vomitting some of it up, but that was to be expected. I asked if she wasn't receiving Science Diet A/D and pointed out that everything I have read said it needed to be watered down to allow the esophagus to heal. The tech said that nope, they were giving her the SD Kitten and it wasn't being watered down.

I chalked it up to different opinions and took Neala and got in the car.

The moment I put my hand in her carrier to check on her, I began to worry. She felt COOL to me. Sphynxes should NEVER feel COOL to the touch. This is a very warm breed of cat. They should feel like a warm water bottle.

I was also shocked that she looked like a skeleton- I thought while on the IV and while being fed that she would at least maintain the weight she came in with, but I chalked it up to major surgery and figured things would be okay.

We went back to the hotel room since the tech said it was time for her to eat and I put her on my heating pad and fixed up Science Diet, A/D, with water mixed in. She came out and ate a little, but she just looked... bad. Her breathing seemed labored- to ME- she was open mouthed breathing from time to time.

I hate to say this, but I have seen kittens die and to me, she looked like a kitten that was going to die.

I called MY vet to ask if this was normal- my vet said no, call the surgical center. I called the surgical center and they said to bring her back in.

So we rushed her back in and I sat in the waiting room... And waited... And waited...

I will cut through the suspense for you- basically, her body temperature is 97.5 degrees. The vet did not think that was too low- I do. I've owned this breed for over five years now. Normal body temperature for a cat seems to be between 99 degrees and 101.5 degrees. So this WAS a low temperature in a VERY small kitten.

I mentioned that she was being fed SD Kitten and wasn't keeping it down- the vet said she should be receiving A/D. I told him she wasn't- per the tech- and per the open can of food they sent home with me. So then I asked for her glucose to be checked- it was a little high, but the vet did not seem concerned.

I asked about her labored breathing- he said he didn't think it was labored, but that the open mouthed breathing was probably due to basically heart burn from the esophagus being enflamed.

I asked what he would do if she was his kitten- he said he'd err on the side of caution and leave her overnight.

Bottom line- Neala was checked out and then she was checked right back in. We are leaving her there until tomorrow morning. She sounds stable, but not stable enough for ME to make a 7 hour drive with her.

So I worry... I KNOW this is major surgery and I'm sure if I was just bringing her straight home and keeping her warm, I might not be so paranoid, but I am. Oh, I am

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I hope they have it more "together" than this portrays. :( She is in our thoughts and prayers,,we are still rooting for her! Try to stay calm, I'm sure its hard. I'd be going nuts.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Update: Neala's temperature crashed even further even while being kept warm there, so the vet snapped another xray and saw that her esophagus has basically stretched out and she needs a feeding tube inserted asap for her esophagus to heal. THIS explains why her breathing looked labored to me- this sack of food was pushing on her LUNGS. I am beyond stressed now. She will go back on IV fluids as well.

Bella07

Banned
Neala, you are still in my thoughts and prayers. I know you can pull through, especially with such a caring and loving mommy keeping such a careful eye out on you. Hope you start feeling better real soon sweetheart Neala.

Ducky01

Lairian
Thoughts and prayers with you and Neala, hopefully she is just as strong as you and fights whatever obstacles may arise.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
More of an update: Saw her tonight. Her temp is up to 101, which is normal. They took her off the external heating about half an hour ago, so fingers and toes crossed that she maintains her temperature. Her breathing is still crappy, but we are hoping that food either goes down or even comes up tonight.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
With a quick stop for gas and food, it's 7 hours. So if I had left with her this morning, I don't think she would have lived through the drive.

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for lthe update, I haven't got on here much lately but have been checking on FB as often as possible.

Sending huge loves and hugs to you both.

XxX

Back