Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Neck & Head Scatching - sores

cosmosphynx

Lairian
My sphynx is almost a year old and have been trying to figure out whats going on for a year now! He scratches his neck and head and constantly has sores that he will scratch till they bleed. The vet checked him for ear mites or ear infections and came back negative.

Ive tried multiple types of different brands of dry foods, from basic and limited ingredients. Duck, Chicken, Rabbit as the main ingredients but nothing seems to help. I switched him to a home made diet of Chicken livers, sweet potatoes and peas. For 2 months he was scratch and sore free and then started up again.

He currently has been eating a Limited Ingredient Rabbit and Pea dry food, for i needed the convenience of dry food. Nothing seems to work. Its sad and discouraging when his neck constantly has scabs and fresh sores on it.

Could anyone please give me some advice or helpful tips on how to treat this agonizing condition?

thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• 372D4304-EBF9-48AF-BD18-106131165985.JPG
    372D4304-EBF9-48AF-BD18-106131165985.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 52

Sheldon13

Staff member
Aww poor babe :(

Ellie has itchy skin problems too but I found after I started feeding her raw it mostly went away. She still has the occasional scratch but nothing like it was before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cosmosphynx

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
Oh, it's allergies, looks like.
The only way you'll know for sure and what the
allergies are is testing. Have the blood drawn.
Here's my girls story.
Izmae's allergies journey
Thank you so much! This definitely helped give me an outlook on what to do and look for! I would have never thought about litter dust being a culperate as well! I'm going to have him tested for allergies to pin point it exactly rather than trying different protein foods!

Thanks again!

cosmosphynx

Lairian
Aww poor babe :(

Ellie has itchy skin problems too but I found after I started feeding her raw it mostly went away. She still has the occasional scratch but nothing like it was before.

Yeah he was doing good on the raw diet for about 2 months and then a week after he had his booster shots it started up again and hasn't stopped since. The raw diet just became too inconvenient at the time...

Would you mind giving me your recipe you use so I can look into switching him again? Thanks

Sheldon13

Staff member
I get the meat/bone/organ blend of whatever meat I like from Hare-Today and add in Alnutrin and sardine oil as instructed. They sell both in their supplements section.

cosmosphynx

Lairian
I get the meat/bone/organ blend of whatever meat I like from Hare-Today and add in Alnutrin and sardine oil as instructed. They sell both in their supplements section.

Oh ok thank you. What kind of portions do you serve and how frequent. Also how many pounds would you say lasts you a month? Thanks a lot for your help.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I feed about 2.5 oz twice daily, but my girl is small. I end up buying about 35-40lbs every 2-3months or so. Feline-nutrition.org has a lot of excellent information on this.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh poor boy! It looks like it could be allergies. Did you test him kn allergies?
Sending healing vibes to your boy and a hug to you for keep trying to find out what's going on

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Great advice given above. But wanted to send some healing vibes. Definitely sorting out the allergies would help. Good luck, and please stay in touch with us.

Back