Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Necropsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

susi794

Staff member
Well, I took little Violet to Michigan State University this morning for the necropsy. They were extremely kind and compassionate--asked me for her name and handled her very gently and respectfully. It eased my horror over the whole thing. The fee is $200 and that includes bacteriology, virology, hystology, but no toxicology. They didn't feel that was warranted. Hopefully Violet's ordeal can give me some answers. I sure hope so. But they still may not find anything definitive at all--so please pray for us that they find something I can fix.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Here to hoping they at least find something that can be fixed!! In most cases I would say hope its all clear but it would be good for you to know why you have lost so many babies lately. How long is it going to take to hear back from them?

susi794

Staff member
Here to hoping they at least find something that can be fixed!! In most cases I would say hope its all clear but it would be good for you to know why you have lost so many babies lately. How long is it going to take to hear back from them?
They said 48 hours.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I'm glad you were able to do this. I think its for the best and hopefully some answers will be delivered to this mystery. Goodluck and keep us posted. (As I know you will. ;) )

Nair Bare

Lairian
First of all Susi, may I offer my sincere condolences on the loss of your beloved Violet. At this time of extreme grief, it is often difficult to consider doing a necropsy. However, it is a true memorial to Violet and her breed, to pursue more concrete answers if at all available. Even tho it is sometimes impossible to determine the actual cause of death, there is an obligation to rule out other possible causes by performing a necropsy. I hold great respect for those breeders who do this in hopes of learning more about what caused , or didn't cause, this sudden death. Sometimes, knowing what didn't go wrong is just as important in the breeding program. Hopefully you will receive some conclusive information on what did cause Violet's death, but don't be discouraged if you only discover what did not go wrong. This information is of equal benefit to a breeder.
I am sure Violet thanks you for helping her contribute valuable information to her lineage and ease your concerns.

susi794

Staff member
Thanks to all. Called for a preliminary report this afternoon--she had mucus in her nasal passage and lungs were "affected"--possible pneumonia, but from what, not sure until hystology comes back--might be two weeks before I know anything definitive, if ever.

susi794

Staff member
I'm praying that I do too and that it just wasn't another fee down the money pit hole my life has become lately.:Woo::Cry::Woo:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thanks to all. Called for a preliminary report this afternoon--she had mucus in her nasal passage and lungs were "affected"--possible pneumonia, but from what, not sure until hystology comes back--might be two weeks before I know anything definitive, if ever.

:Sweat:ugh - two weeks! Thats heart wrenching. I surely hope they find more for you to work with. Goodluck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back