Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

NEED ADVICE - did I accidentally buy from a backyard breeder??

KoopCats

Lairian
Hi everyone! I'll preface this with: our new baby is 100% perfect and we feel completely blessed by our new addition, and so far she has proven totally healthy thank goodness! That being said, we paid thousands of dollars for this cutie, and only did so because we thought we were paying for a top notch breeder and I'm currently livid, and wondering if I have a right to be or if I'm just misunderstanding?

We're completely new to purchasing from breeders so I really just want to know if what we've run into is normal, or not. I did SO MUCH RESEARCH before selecting our breeder. I researched, I had my best friend research, had my husband research... we genuinely thought we selected a reputable, caring, health conscious breeder. On the website, it advertises that the cats are FIV and FeLV tested, dewormed, vaccinated, and are checked out and come home with a "health letter by the vet" - there are tons of positive reviews to be found, and even a vet recommendation letter on the site.

Well, we took our new kitten to the vet for her well check a day or two after she came home, and I was horrified. First of all, the "paperwork" with her "health records" was just a folded up pamphlet with 3 stickers on it from an at-home vaccine kit (which I had to google because it didn't even say which vaccines it was for on the paper). Nothing else. No vet records (not even a vet record of her spay surgery), nothing. I looked closer at the "letter of health" from the vet that she came with and realized that it was purely an external check (think, "no underbite, no visible parasites, internals unknown). So my vet (obviously being highly concerned) called the vet who filled out the vet letter.... and I kid you not, the breeder's vet said they "did not trust the breeder" and were unable to confirm or verify if any vaccines had been administered or any health testing of any kind had ever been done, as the kittens actually had never been treated by them or fully examined by them other than the one external check up before coming home. So basically, the "letter of health" we received isn't a letter of health, as the staff who wrote it informed us they couldn't verify the kittens health at all??

The breeders website also boasts a "vet recommendation" letter on the website, and it isn't even from the vet that the kittens were taken to.

My vet then called the breeder directly, who admitted that she had not done any testing for worms, had just self administered de-worming medication and never did any vet tests to make sure they were worm-free AND that they had not been FIV or FeLV tested.

I ended up having to pay hundreds of dollars for what should have been a $57 "well check", because my kitten needed to be FIV and FeLV tested, skin tested (she came home with a rash that the breeder said was harmless but obviously now I don't trust that), an upper respiratory infection, fecal test for worms.... and I have to take her back again because the breeder never had her microchipped (super irresponsible in my personal opinion). Not to mention I'm freaking out that my baby may or may NOT have been vaccinated since the breeder did it herself at home, allegedly...

Am I over reacting? Is this normal? I've always adopted form shelters and they give me full vet records of everything - all vaccines (administered by a licensed vet at a vet facility), records of spay/neutrer, fecal test results for worms and parasites, microchipped, the whole nine yards.

I welcome any advice or responses, and truly hope that I'm out of line / being ridiculous!

Thanks in advance, friends!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Honestly I feel like I would be upset as well. The main reason I feel like I can justify the price of a sphynx is for the exact reason of the high cost to the breeder for vet visits FOR vaccinations, spay/neuter, microchip, HCM scanning the parents yearly, the cost to feed them, ect. Not for that all to be done at home and assume that they're healthy (besides altering of course, that can't be done from home)

I would definitely express my concerns to the breeder, because in a way she lied about the vet recommendation and a lot that was advertised on the website.

On the bright side, I'm glad your new baby is healthy. How is he/she settling in?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Can imagine you feel very upset. You did do a lot of research. Seems like the breeder went in to great efford to pretend to be a reputable breeder. In my opinion that's even worse rhen a backyard breeder that doesn't pretend to care about the health of your kitten.

You can try to contact the breeder and ask him/her to at least pay the vet bill. That would be more then reasonable. You could also report the breeder, but don't know how it works in your area.

And try to look forward. You have a beautiful kitten now and you'll take very good care of your little baby!

TheZu

Lairian
Sending love, that is NOT COOL. Definitely lying and manipulative!!!! They're lying to make money obviously. They are charging priced and not doing any of the proper stuff with it. Good breeders don't really make a substantial profit: it's a hobby more than anything. The high price tag is to cover all that you talked about. My kittens came home with a two year genetic guarantee, microchipped, up to date on all shots, had regular vet visits and were fixed. Both of our kittens were on a raw diet and well cared for: my vet gave them a clean bill of health! I paid 1,200 for one and 1,400 for the other and got all of that. Our breeder showed us how to properly care for them before going home, gave us free food. She cared about her cats.

Report it, if you can in your area and leave a review (though I have a suspicion with the way they operate they have a way to delete it.) Your vet would probably know more about how to report such activity.

You are NOT in the wrong for anything and you aren't over-reacting.

Last edited:

Jeanhill72

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Self administering shots is pretty normal. However, stating a vet recommendation and vet visit that didn't happen is fraud. If it were me, I would contact the breeder.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Agree some breeders do vaccinate...but the red flag for me is the not being honest about several things with you. At this point you are already in love with your baby so you are hooked and will roll with things...they gotcha. But the most important part of it all is your baby has a loving and caring home trying to do the best for them. Did you pay for breeding rights? Don’t let the “alarm bells” drive you crazy...you did what you felt was a thorough research. Your experience will help others in the future.

KoopCats

Lairian
Thank you all so very much for your responses! This has helped me feel more secure in my gut feeling of the whole thing. Again - feeling SUPER lucky that our little girl is a bundle of perfection (and so far, healthy), but I definitely won't sleep well at night without raising my concerns and making sure others are aware. If I fell for it after our research, anyone easily could. Appreciate your input friends! Looking forward to raising our new cutie alongside all of yours (electronically, at least)!

Back