Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

NEED ADVICE : Litter box issues

Stevieraek

Lairian
So my boy has been pooping outside the box now for almost a year . We’ve tried changing his food , we got an additional box , but he still poops literally right next to the box and yet still urinates in the box . We added a little girl to our family a few months ago and they absolutely love each other and the older boy seems very happy but I don’t understand why he doesn’t like to poop in the box . Another thing , his poop has never been firm, it’s always been very mushy , regardless of what food we changed him to. I know a lot of Sphynx owners stick to dry food only , but I give mine wet and dry. Anyone have any opinions about this ? It seems that they both have to go to the bathroom after eating the wet food. I was thinking about getting them off the wet food but they love it so much I’m worried they will hate me. Need advice ??

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Have you ever looked into food sensitivities or IBD. One of our sphynx when her tummy is upset has been known to poo on the floor right next to a litter box. Also maybe have his anal glands checked? Sometimes when those are full or painful they will avoid the box.
We have to be careful with her not ti fo too many days in a row of wet food and some treats have been banned from the house due to upsetting her bowels.

Stevieraek

Lairian
Wow really ? So how many days a week do you give wet food ? If I could put him strictly on dry food I would but the girl is still a kitten and she loves her wet food

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Cats can hide pain really well. Best is to let the vet do a health check to know for sure.
also, if you boys always poops on the same spot make sure you clean it with special anti smell stuff. Your boy may think “it can smell my poop here, so this is the spot where I need to poop”

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow really ? So how many days a week do you give wet food ? If I could put him strictly on dry food I would but the girl is still a kitten and she loves her wet food
We will let her have wet food for two days and then only dry for two days. That schedule seems to work with her. She cant have temptations treats at all. Those give her the runs. She also does not do well with high fat foods. So no gravy wet foods or slices in sauce.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My girl actually has poop issues on kibble. So I just give her canned and she does well on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro