Need help! Really angry sphynx. | Sphynxlair

Need help! Really angry sphynx.

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Questions?' started by Vilis1969, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Vilis1969

Vilis1969Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $274.00
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello! I found this nice site in google looking for answer to following situation.

We live in a community: three female cats and a friendly male daschund. Two of cats (sphynx and a persian) were living together for 2 years (almost) peacefully before the daschund and a breedless cat (Elina) moved in half year ago. All cats are sterilised. First few days they all were getting alonge quite nice, but than my shpynx (Agate) met the breedless one in a narrow corridor and they started to fight. And they have been fighting since. I've never seen Elina provoking Agate, it's always the other way. Agate gets really angry and agitated if she sees Elina, so agitated that she screams horribly and claws everyone around her, even her master, not to mention the poor little daschund. Why does she hates Elina so much? The persian cat and Agate have had a conflict or two, but the consequences were not as bad as now - they're quite friendly.

I'm looking forward of hearing from other sphynx owners who have shared the same problem as I do. Or some other ideas?

Thak you for you're time,
    William

2. Maggies mommy

Maggies mommyV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $1,100.16
    Ratings:
    +471
    Welcome to the site!!!! I have no advice to give u but I'm sure the other members do :) anyway good luck!

3. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi William,
    Welcome to the forum!

Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, have Agate and Elina been living peacefully for 6 months until just recently they began fighting or have they been fighting the entire time?

You may want to separate them and start over with a very slow introduction, at first letting them smell each other through a doorway, allow supervised time together and when they are behaving, reward them with treats or canned food. You might also try a Feliway diffuser, which can be found at most pet stores. They emit pheremones that are known to help calm stressed out kitties. Also, be sure that Elina has a place she can "escape" to when she's being harrassed, perhaps a cat tree or a high up piece of furniture.

I had a similar (though not as severe) problem when I introduced my newest boy into my house. It took 3 months of keeping him separated when I wasn't home, to be sure that my other boy wasn't going to be injured. Most importantly, when I was home, I would supervise their time together, play with them together, made sure they associated their time together with 'good things' by giving rewards, offering treats, etc. and at any time if my boy became aggressive, I would immediately separate him again for 10 minutes until he'd had time to calm down. This went on every single day for 3 months until finally, they are all a happy family.

Your girls may not ever become best friends, but I'm sure with a lot of time and patience they can learn to tolerate each other and coexist.

4. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $42.00
    Ratings:
    +442
  5. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $277,522.70
    Ratings:
    +17,659
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hi Vilis1969 and welcome to Sphynxlair! Sorry to hear about your situation. It's sounds like a female cat issue to me.
    It sounds like Agate is bitter. She has been the queen of the house for a long time and all of a sudden a new cat has been introduced into her domain.

Introducing a new cat to an existing one in a household should be a slow process, with caring attention given to both cats. Ideally, they should be kept separate from each other, for several days, with a door between them so they can sniff each other through the crack and become accustomed to the scent of a "stranger." It is quite odd though, that they behaved good together from the beginning.:Dizzy:

However, since they have already been introduced, the best advice I can give is to give Agate her own private space where she can feel secure and violated, in a separate room, if possible. She should have her own food and water dishes and her own litter box, and every one in the household should give her plenty of loving and attention so that she knows she hasn't been totally ignored or gotten less love and affection. It would also help if you try to gain her trust, as well. Don't try to rush her, but let her come to you.

The situation is intense and uncomfortable because she is an adult female, and it is very normal for female cats to be jealous of other females. She may never be best friends with Elina, but given care and patience, may someday be able to coexist with her again.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!:Laugh:
    Admin