Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Need help! (Skin issue)

Fabian Li

Lairian
Hi all, I'm actually posting this behalf of my friend. Her sphynx is actually facing some skin issue which I have no idea what is it and what causes it.

mmexport1536571262321.jpg
mmexport1536571268172.jpg
mmexport1536571273397.jpg
mmexport1536571277619.jpg

Hoping someone here can help me to help her with this skin issue. Really appreciate it much!

Thank you all!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
How long has it taken to get this way and what has their vet said? Have they said anything about urticaria pigmentosa as a possibility?

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't have much experience with Sphynx yet as I'm new too them.
But for me it looks a bit like psoriasis like humans get but only of texture as that's normally white. Then again since our baby is dark.
I'm not sure.
Have you considered a second opinion of a other vet?
I hope someone more experienced can jump in and help, meanwhile I'll cross my toes for you. Good luck!

Fabian Li

Lairian
I don't have much experience with Sphynx yet as I'm new too them.
But for me it looks a bit like psoriasis like humans get but only of texture as that's normally white. Then again since our baby is dark.
I'm not sure.
Have you considered a second opinion of a other vet?
I hope someone more experienced can jump in and help, meanwhile I'll cross my toes for you. Good luck!
Thank you! My finger cross as well..

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you like. Keep us updated and hopefully your baby heals soon once they find what it is.

susi794

Staff member
That looked like some kind of fungal thing to me...so I will be anxious to hear the results of the skin scraping. I sure do hope the poor baby heals quickly.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Dutchess

Lairian
I can't help much since im rather new to the breed, but perhaps it's a strong allergic reaction to something? perhaps a food allergy. Does your friend have a lot of plants? if so, she might have one that's poisonous to cats.

Hope you find out what's wrong soon!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Fabian Li
I agree with a vet visit for this sweetie

Great advice given already recommending the vet visit and skin scraping test -
Check for yeast , bacterial , and or rule out the mentioned urticaria pigmentosa we have seen some Sphynx get treatment for
Here is a description from online

"The Sphynx can also be prone to some skin conditions, such as urticaria pigmentosa and cutaneous mastocytosis, as well as to periodontal disease. “Cats with urticaria pigmentosa have multiple, partly symmetrical areas of redness or brown discoloration of their skin. These areas can be intensely itchy and are often located on the trunk, limbs, head and neck. Occasionally the discolored patches have crusted red papules (bumps). The patches can be darker brown in color with some crusting on the surface of the skin. These symptoms are due to an increased number of mast cells, a type of cell involved in allergic reactions. These cells release hystamine, a substance that causes itchiness and inflammation in the area. Cats typically show these symptoms when they are young, with the age ranging from five to seven months old.”

Urticaria pigmentosa
@pussiette , your suggestions?

Urticaria pigmentosa

Sphynx Skin Conditions

Does your friend use scented litter? Does kitty itch or scratch at it?
How long ago did these symptoms appear ?

Some cats get yeast infections from certain litter.

does this kitty sunbath frequently ? Go outdoors?

healing vibes for a diagnosis and treatment plan to clear things up

Please keep us updated often as to what the vet diagnosis is for this sweetie
What's kitty's name?

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I agree it looks like urticaria pigmentosa. My boy has it and it can be diagnosed by a scrape test. Hope the vet can do so!

Fabian Li

Lairian
Thank you so much for all the concerns. I had already told my friend to visit the vet for skin scraping. I will keep an update on the kitty when she got back to me.

Thank you all for the love!*

Back