Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Need Help with new Kitten URGENT

Christian

Lairian
Hello everyone,
I got a new Sphynx Kitten 4 months old, it been here with me sense 3 weeks. The last week he start strange things, like sleeping the whole day, and weakness, so I got him special bed for the heater and he doesn't move from there. If I take him out of bed I can feel that he start feeling cold, even that his body temperature is around 37-39 Degrees (100-101.5 Fahrenheit).
Before 4 Days I went with him to the vet, he gave him 2 shots and few Kesium 50mg pills(cesium in English but I'm not sure), 1/2 Pill at the morning and half at the night. He eats good and goes to the toilet normally, but he still really weak. (he doesn't want to play or move from bed).

Is there any suggestions to make him playful ? is he really sick ?? Please help me

I'm from Berlin in Germany so please excuse me for my English.

Best Regard and Happy Easter for everyone:D

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Christian Go back to the vet or get a second opinion. Weakness and lethargy are key indicators something is wrong. Kittens are typically fully of energy and when they sleep, they sleep hard, but not moving from the bed is cause for concern. What were the shots given for? Please keep us updated. Happy Easter to you too. I know you are stressing over your baby.

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello everyone,
I got a new Sphynx Kitten 4 months old, it been here with me sense 3 weeks. The last week he start strange things, like sleeping the whole day, and weakness, so I got him special bed for the heater and he doesn't move from there. If I take him out of bed I can feel that he start feeling cold, even that his body temperature is around 37-39 Degrees (100-101.5 Fahrenheit).
Before 4 Days I went with him to the vet, he gave him 2 shots and few Kesium 50mg pills(cesium in English but I'm not sure), 1/2 Pill at the morning and half at the night. He eats good and goes to the toilet normally, but he still really weak. (he doesn't want to play or move from bed).

Is there any suggestions to make him playful ? is he really sick ?? Please help me

I'm from Berlin in Germany so please excuse me for my English.

Best Regard and Happy Easter for everyone:D
Hello and welcome, sorry to hear of this news. I see he prescribed Kesium, did your vet feel he had a bacterial infection of some sort? Also, was he recently vaccinated for anything or shortly therefore you picked him up? Were the shots from the vet before he was sick or after. Sometimes vaccinations can cause these symptoms but not normally 3 weeks later. I would recommend seeing another ver asap, its not normal for them to sleep and be lethargic as you described. Please keep us updated. :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
@Christian Go back to the vet or get a second opinion. Weakness and lethargy are key indicators something is wrong. Kittens are typically fully of energy and when they sleep, they sleep hard, but not moving from the bed is cause for concern. What were the shots given for? Please keep us updated. Happy Easter to you too. I know you are stressing over your baby.

Patti
Lol - we must of been posting at the same time. :)

Christian

Lairian
@admin & @Catzzzmeow : Thank you very much for that quick reply:D
The vet gave him antibiotics shots I'm not sure what is there names. He was vaccinated after I got him (27.3) and castrated before I got him.
I will go now to visit the 2 vets the same one and another one to be more sure, and then I will inform you about what will happen.
Can you tell me witch treatment should I ask for, or what should I be aware of ?
Thank you a lot :D

admin

Administrator
Staff member
@admin & @Catzzzmeow : Thank you very much for that quick reply:D
The vet gave him antibiotics shots I'm not sure what is there names. He was vaccinated after I got him (27.3) and castrated before I got him.
I will go now to visit the 2 vets the same one and another one to be more sure, and then I will inform you about what will happen.
Can you tell me witch treatment should I ask for, or what should I be aware of ?
Thank you a lot :D
Did he become sick AFTER the vaccinations or shots? what were the vaccinations or shots, do you know?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good to hear you go back to the vet. Being letharic is not normal for a kitten. Best is to ask for a bloodtest and to check for "regular" cat deseases. Sending healing vibes.

Frolich Ostern! (From the Netherlands and I speak a little bit German)

Natasja

Christian

Lairian
Hello everyone :D
I would like to thank you all for helping me and my little Yoda :D
He is so fine now, a bit tired from recovering.
After checking with few vets this is what I could reach:
The food doesn't have the right Vitamins (I cooked it for him, its chicken with rice and vegetables in big amount and frozen), the food didn't have the right amount of vitamins B, C and more, where vitamins B (B1+B12) are the most important vitamins for muscles and movements.
Blood test was good, but not a lot of vitamins.
I bought Carny for kitten, Yoda eats it and he is happy.

which food would you also recommend me to feed him ?

Best Regards :D

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad to hear that you found the source of his illness! An unbalanced homemade diet is worse than feeding the cheapest cat food. If you are wanting to feed him something more holistic, look into feeding him raw with a premix powder. We use the one from www.knowbetterpetfood.com There should be something similar in your country. Cats don't need to have grains in their diet, or any large amounts of vegetables. Hopefully you can find a food that works well for you and little Yoda :)

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Glad your baby is feeling better! I follow the recipe for raw/homemade food from catinfo.org. It tells you so the vitamins you need. Also, lots of great info here with the info you need.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi Christian,

Wenn du willst kannst du auch in Deutsch schreiben (mit English drunter, oder ich kann übersetzen, wenn dir das lieber ist. :) )
Bin froh dass er sich besser fühlt. Meine zwei adoptierten bekamen auch Carny, aber das gibt denen unheimlich (explosiven) Durchfall, so jetzt gibt's das nicht mehr.
Jez hat ein entzündetes Auge das nicht besser wird (heute wieder TA Termin), ich hab also auch ein Sorgenkind hier und verstehe die Sorgen die man sich macht gut.
Da meine originale Sphynx kein Roh frisst, ist hier immer Trockenfutter verfügbar. (Im Moment Royal Canin Indoor Adult)
Nebenher gibt es 2 mal am tag die Purina Soup for Cats. Sei vorsichtig mit Huhn, viele Sphynx sind darauf allergisch.
Da das Soup for Cats eigentlich ein "Treat" ist, ist es natürlich keine Lösung, aber alle meine sind unheimlich scharf darauf. Und es sind schöne Stücke Fisch, mit "Suppe" -- und es ist kein Getreide oder Gemüse drin. (Wenn du das jemand in den Teller leeren würdest, würden die Menschen das ohne weiteres essen, so gut und natürlich sieht es aus.)

Hier sind viele sehr erfahrene "BARF" Leute, da bekommst du sicher gute info.
Und ich kann auch übersetzen wenn dir eine Antwort nicht ganz klar ist. :) Mach einfach einen @Silke tag, damit ich es sehe, wenn du dir unklar bist. :)

Ich bin am anderen Ende Deutschlands -- in Niederbayern, ca 14km von Oberösterreich. "JWD" :)

--- and in English...

Hi Christian,
If you'd like, you can write in German (with English beneath, or I can translate if you prefer)
I'm glad he's feeling better. My two adoptees were also on Carny, but it gave them severe (explosive) diarrhea , so now they aren't having it anymore.
Jez has an infected eye that's not improving (today another vet visit), so I also have a little problem child here, so I emphasize with the worries you're going through.
Since my original Sphynx will not eat raw, we always have dry food (kibble) available. (Right now RC Indoor Adult)
Alongside this they have Purina Soup for Cats twice daily. Be careful with chicken, many Sphynx are allergic to it.
The Soup for Cats is really only meant as a "Treat", so that's not a feeding solution, but mine totally love the stuff. It has nice big pieces of fish with "soup", and it doesn't contain grain or vegetables. (And if you'd pour it on a plate and offered it to a human, they'd likely eat it. It looks that good.)

There are many very experienced RAW people here, you'll probably get excellent advice from them. I can also translate anything you're not clear about, just tag me with @Silke so I'll know. :)

I'm at the other end of Germany -- in Lower Bavaria, about 14km from the Upper Austrian border. "JWD" (Means "Janz Weit Draussen" and doesn't have a translation as such lol. It means "Very Far Out" -- the equivalent of "Back of Beyond".)

(Edit: Grrr typos!)

Last edited:

Christian

Lairian
@MollysMom & @nudieluvr thank you for your advice, its just about trying, I want to try in firdt place raw meat (beef) with out anything to see his reactions for it, and then I will add the powder.

@Silke vielen lieben Dank, ich habe bis jetzt unglaublich viel Geld darauf getan damit mein kleiner Yoda gesunder wird, und jetzt ist der viel besser geworden, der spielt mit mein anderen Kater Simba (Perser), meowt normal, aber der hat starkes Mundgeruch. Ich habe heute wieder beim Tierarzt besucht, alles war gut.

Soweit mit der Essen sieht es gut aus. Ich werde Corny probieren und danach werde ich Hackfleisch bisschen gehen.
Ich möchte dich noch bitten, kannst mir Empfehlungen geben für diese Rasse?

Liebe Grüße aus Berlin.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Super dass es ihm besser geht! :)
Ja, ich hab auch eine Menge Geld beim TA gelassen...
Unser Termin gestern ist auf Morgen verschoben worden, weil mein Auto nicht anspringen wollte... (Hatten das schon mal im Winter, und wahrscheinlich ist der Diesel eingefroren... Bei uns liegt wieder Schnee.)

Bei Fressnapf gibt es eine Menge gefrorenes BARF, ich hab nur leider keine Gefriertruhe lol.
Viele sagen mit Pferdefleisch anfangen, da es am verträglichsten ist. (Ich habe mit Rind angefangen, aber meine frisst nichts rohes.)
Beim Carny, fang mit einer ganz kleinen Dose an, und nur ein bisschen, damit der Magen sich dran gewöhnen kann. (Ist bei allem Futter so) Kein "Heut füttern wir das, morgen das" -- did Umstellung bekommt denen oft nicht so toll und es gibt Durchfall.

Als aller ersten Tip: Nicht viel baden. Je mehr du badest, desto mehr öl wird produziert, desto dreckiger wird die Katze.
Ich bade *vielleicht* einmal in 3 monaten. Pixie's letztes Bad war Anfang März, und davor im August. Die einzige die hier ab und zu den Hintern und die Pfoten gewaschen bekommt, ist Jezebel. Die hat immer noch etwas Durchfall, und latscht auch mal quer durch ihren eigenen Matsch... Stinkfuss & Stinkschwanz ist nicht so toll...

Ich hab 3 Stück hier, eine "Gummi", eine "Pfirsich" und eine "Haarig" -- also 3 verschiedene Hauttypen, und 3x verschiedenes Haar.
Die zwei Neuankömmlinge hatten furchtbar raue Haut als die hier ankamen. Das einzige das ich geändert habe war dass sie zugriff auf Royal Canin Sphynx hatten. Ich habe nicht gebadet, oder Kokosöl, oder irgendwas benutzt. Die Haut war innerhalb einer Woche wieder gut -- also nehme ich an da ist schon was spezifisches in dem RC Sphynx das geholfen hat. (Steht auch auf der Packung drauf)
Beide haben auch unheimlich gestunken -- jetzt nicht mehr.
Und alle drei sind sauber und müssen nicht gebadet werden. :)
Ich kaufe das RC Sphynx, oder das RC Indoor bei Zooplus.de in 10kg Säcken, so ist es am günstigsten. Zooplus hat meistens eine Aktion bei der man RC Indoor im 12kg Sack bekommt (und 10kg zahlt), und 10kg RC Sphynx kommt oft mit einem Spielzeug oder Futternapf etc. Im moment gibts RC Indoor, weil der 12kg Sack günstiger war. Beide sind ok mit Sphynx.
RC Sphynx hat Lysine mit drin, das ist so ziemlich der einzige Unterschied zum Indoor.

-----
In English, in case someone wants to chime in:

Great that he's feeling better.
Yeah, I've also left a chunk of money at the vets...
My checkup was moved to tomorrow, because my car wouldn't start. We've had that before in Winter, and I suspect the Diesel froze again...we have snow again here.)

At Fressnapf (German Pet Store) they sell a lot of frozen RAW, I just don't have a freezer.
Many say to start with Horse meat, because it's generally tolerated best. (I started with beef, but mine doesn't eat any raw.)
With Carny, start with a small tin and give only a little bit, so the stomach can get used to it. (It's the same with all food) No "Today we feed this, tomorrow that" -- such a sudden change is often too much for them and they end up with diarrhea.

As a first tip: Don't bathe a lot. The more you bathe, the more oil they produce, the dirtier the cat gets.
I bathe *maybe* once every 3 months. Pixie's last bath was beginning of March, and before that in August. The only one here who sometimes gets her hiney and paws wasched is Jezebel. She still has diarrhea, and tramples through her own much. Stinkfoot & Stinktail are not so awesome...

I have 3 of them here, one "Rubber", one "Peach" and one "Hairy" -- so three different types of skin, and 3x different amounts of hair. The two newcomers had terribly rough skin when they arrived. The only thing I changed was that they had access to RC Sphynx. I didn't bathe them, or tackle them with Coconut oil, or used anything else on them. The skin was okay after a little under a week -- so I imagine there is really something in RC Sphynx that helps with the skin (As they claim on the packaging.)
Both also stank to high heaven -- now they don't.
And all three are clean and don't need bathing. :)
I buy the RC Sphynx, or the RC Indoor at Zooplus.de in 10kg sacks, that way it's the cheapest. Zooplus often has special offers where you get RC Indoor in a 12kg sack (but pay for 10kg), and the 10kg RC Sphynx often comes with a toy or food bowl etc. Right now they are on RC Indoor, because the 12kg sack was on offer. Both are okay with Sphynx.
The RC Sphynx contains Lysine, that's about the only difference to the Indoor.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Silke lol odd question, but why don't you have a freezer? Or do you mean a big one to store it. I thought fridges all had freezers....

@Christian hopefully things keep improving :)
I feed RC calorie control because Jaws (Astrid lol) was getting too chubby according to the vet. On it she hasn't been as dirty, which is great

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I only have a small fridge, with a "freezer compartment" that isn't even big enough for a pizza :)

Back