Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Need reassurance...

MissusV

Lairian
I will be bringing my two kitties home in just over two weeks and I’m starting to get the ‘new mom stress’!! They will be fed an all raw diet. Please reassure me that their poo really won’t smell too horrible...I am planing on using pine pellet litter and I know the poo doesn’t get covered (or at least not very well). When I’m home I will scoop as soon as I realize they went, but I just don’t want to walk in the house and be knocked over by the smell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
when they first come home, it is often advised to keep them on same food and litter they are on for a smoother transition on their tummies too. slow changes after. to be honest, you may have a little stinky to deal with while they get used to their new home. its a big new world for them. changing things right away can cause upset tummies. your breeder will share suggestions too :)

look forward to gotcha day pics!

CathyO

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you do pure raw food then smell won't be there in the room if you scoop clumping litter at least 1-2x/day. I tried wood pellets before and unfortunately it didn't mask the smell for me, but it's mostly the urine turning into "dust" which makes it harder to clean that made me switch to World's Best corn clumping litter.

Maybe the pine pellet would be slightly diff coz the cheap wood ones I got were way too large for the kitten's tiny paws (very uncomfortable for them even though they did use it).

Yoda mom

Staff member
are you going to use the tidy cat litter and slow transition ? always best to set them up for success especially with positive reinforcement litter habits. my first sphynx came to me on yesterday news unscented pellets. I set up two litter boxes next to each other. one with the pellets and one I was transitioning too.

MissusV

Lairian
are you going to use the tidy cat litter and slow transition ? always best to set them up for success especially with positive reinforcement litter habits. my first sphynx came to me on yesterday news unscented pellets. I set up two litter boxes next to each other. one with the pellets and one I was transitioning too.

I didn’t want to use tidy cats at all but it would probably be a smart idea to do both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

Staff member
As soon as you get them on raw you will not smell stools after about a week. I did a test once and had to get the poo about 8 inches under my nose before I could smell it.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back