Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Need some help- not sure why Sophie did this

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sophie took a piece of her poop out of the litter box while I was at work today and brought it into the other room. I'm so confused as to why she would do this! It had her teeth marks in it. :Badly::Badly::Badly:

Sorry this is so gross.

Her litter box was just cleaned last night so there was hardly anything in it at all.

Last edited:

Brooke

Banned
:Question:

I'm stumped! All I can offer up is that sometimes cats will go outside of their box if they aren't feeling well. If it were me, and everything else is normal, I would just wait and hope it doesn't happen again.

Do you think she was trying to eat it? Sometimes dogs eat their own poo...so much so that there are products on the market just to make poo taste bad so they won't eat it. Perhaps it was an accident and she was trying to hide the evidence in the other room?

Or, do you think she's just found herself a fun new toy to play with?! I saw some kittens in a pet store the other day having a grand old time batting around a piece of poo in their litter box...:LOL:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I'm stumped! All I can offer up is that sometimes cats will go outside of their box if they aren't feeling well. If it were me, and everything else is normal, I would just wait and hope it doesn't happen again.

Do you think she was trying to eat it? Sometimes dogs eat their own poo...so much so that there are products on the market just to make poo taste bad so they won't eat it. Perhaps it was an accident and she was trying to hide the evidence in the other room?

Or, do you think she's just found herself a fun new toy to play with?! I saw some kittens in a pet store the other day having a grand old time batting around a piece of poo in their litter box...:LOL:

She definitely did it inside the box and took it out because there's a trail of litter from the box to the other room.

Oh- I did just switch her wet food. Maybe it smells different to her now? I forgot to mention that before.

I'm going to clean out the whole box tonight.

I do hope this was a one off thing!

Brooke

Banned
Oh, I misread your first post...I thought she went outside of the box! Hmmm...sounds like she may have a new favorite toy!

dragynflye

Lairian
i most definitely don't know as much about cats as i do about dogs. if she was a dog, i would say that the switch in foods could definitely have something to do with it. (again, with dogs) a switch in food can cause them to see their poop as a snack for a couple different reasons- it could just be a change in smell that she finds intriguing. it could also be that her body isn't using the food as efficiently or she's having a hard time breaking it down, so she is trying to get more nutrients by eating what her body has already processed and broken down some.

again, those are just things i would consider if she was a dog. cats are their own special brand of crazy, so i don't know if any of that would even apply! :Laugh: heck, maybe she was just bored and thought that particular piece of poo would make a good toy! :LOL: if you do catch her actually trying to eat the poo, you can try adding pineapple to her food (at least the juice). the enzymes in pineapple change the way the waste tastes and smells, making it unpalatable. that's more or less what most of those commercial products on the market are.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i most definitely don't know as much about cats as i do about dogs. if she was a dog, i would say that the switch in foods could definitely have something to do with it. (again, with dogs) a switch in food can cause them to see their poop as a snack for a couple different reasons- it could just be a change in smell that she finds intriguing. it could also be that her body isn't using the food as efficiently or she's having a hard time breaking it down, so she is trying to get more nutrients by eating what her body has already processed and broken down some.

again, those are just things i would consider if she was a dog. cats are their own special brand of crazy, so i don't know if any of that would even apply! :Laugh: heck, maybe she was just bored and thought that particular piece of poo would make a good toy! :LOL: if you do catch her actually trying to eat the poo, you can try adding pineapple to her food (at least the juice). the enzymes in pineapple change the way the waste tastes and smells, making it unpalatable. that's more or less what most of those commercial products on the market are.

I don't think she ate any of it. There were teeth marks in it but it was still intact from what I could tell. Plus there was still poop in her litter box and since I had just cleaned it last night she couldn't have made much more.

So from what you and Brooke said maybe it was a toy :Badly:

She only has 100 kitty toys that aren't smelly and disgusting. :Sweat:

Brooke

Banned
Heather, add this to your list of reasons to buy a Litter-Robot! Sophie won't have access to these new favorite toys! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I betshe wanted to play with it.
Was it hard?
I caught one of my cats doing that once.

Yes! It was so hard that I could see teeth marks in it. :Badly: Gross, I know.

Oh boy Sophie is in rare form tonight. Now she's chasing her tail. I think she IS a dog. :LOL:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

A product to make poo taste bad! Because it is sooooo scrumy!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Oh dear! But yes to a more serious point my mums dog has a tendancy to have a munch if you arn't looking! My mum is always banging on the window shouting 'LIBBY PUT THAT DOWN!!!!'

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I was in the laundry room one day while Beltane was in the litterbox and as he was scratching around a piece of poo came flying out. It caused a stir among all three cats for about 5 minutes & then they left it alone. Maybe Maggie accidentaly kicked it out?

Back