Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Neglect or no?

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
hello my lovelies,
I have a question, and this has been bothering me for a week now. Since my husband is away for school for the navy, my friend and I decided to find some side jobs. We started pet sitting for a family last week, and I end up finding out that day the family never has time for the two dogs, and that they've never been bathed before. So we bathed them, which was hard in it's own since they were terrified of water so we had to pick them up and carry them to the tub. Once in the tub we got them to calm down by talking to them softly. After the baths I found out they never had toys before, so I bought two rope toys for them and some tennis balls. The younger one loved the toys and the older one had a hard time figuring out how to use them. I was playing with the younger one with the rope and next thing I know the rope is covered in blood. So the day after we were done sitting for them the owners chewed out my friend for bathing them and for them having toys. It sickens me since the owners are also hoarders. So my question is, is this grounds for neglect or no? I really want to help these girls from their situation.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Do they have a lot of animals, are they, in a nasty environment,
are they in poor health, body, teeth, grooming, diet, are they feed good.
Do they received Vet care as needed? Up to date on Vaccinations?
Being abused? This will help you decide the answer.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Do they have a lot of animals, are they, in a nasty environment,
are they in poor health, body, teeth, grooming, diet, are they feed good.
Do they received Vet care as needed? Up to date on Vaccinations?
Being abused? This will help you decide the answer.
The family hoards random stuff which the house is dirty, and in some areas you can't even see the floor. They have never been bathed before, her gums started bleeding after just pulling the rope which wasn't even a hard pull for her. I can feel the ribs a little bit when I pick her up, the other is a labradoodle so it's hard to feel between the matted hair. I know they have their dog license but that's about it.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well you can report them to the proper authorities, about the dogs
and the house.
We're trying to figure out who to go to since California is weird with their laws. I know if they'll at least rehome the younger one my husband said to take her, especially since she became attached to me the moment I walked in the door and he wanted a dog. I just really hate seeing pets go through that, they keep saying the younger one is too hyper yet they don't even take them for walks, I couldn't find a single leash!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would go to the local Health Department. Surely, they, would
do something about the house and advise you, what, to do, about, the dogs.
Or they, would get in touch with the right authorities.
That's where I would start.
Usually, animal shelters will check on Animal abuse. You will, probably
have to give them your name. Keep us updated.

captain_tinky

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would go to the local Health Department. Surely, they, would
do something about the house and advise you, what, to do, about, the dogs.
Or they, would get in touch with the right authorities.
That's where I would start.
Usually, animal shelters will check on Animal abuse. You will, probably
have to give them your name. Keep us updated.
Thank you! I will be getting pictures tomorrow and see if that's all they need in order to do something. It just really sickens me to see the dogs actually go through this, including them being gone more than half the time!

Back