Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nervous kitten

Klfuchs1996

Lairian
Hi guys,
So I just got a second sphynx kitten after deciding to get the sister of my other kitten. The new one is extremely nervous (hides, runs when there is any small noise). The Breeder told me she is just really shy. Is there a way I can help her become more social? Her and her brother get along great and she now comes to me and sleeps in bed and is always meowing for me if I’m not around. And she eats really well. I’m just wondering if this is an adjustment period for her as I’ve only had her two days or if there’s something I can do to make her more comfortable since her brother from day one was extremely playful and went right up to my dogs and other pets and all people and just loves attention from everyone. Thanks in advance!

Yoda mom

Staff member
Happy gotcha! Do you have pics of your crew we can all awhhh over ?

I got two littermate boys at once (adults )
one was very shy .
I set up a kitty safe room (spare bathroom ) with cat tree , litterboxes food toys and radio.
I camped out in the bathroom - the ome boy took off right aways busy buddy to explore amd move right in .
I left the bathroom door open. The shy ome I swear stayed there for 10 days - would briefly peek out amd retreat . I give lots of loving camping out with him.

i actually put up other kitties in my bedroom amd rotated free roa,out to let him explore interrupted on his own with me To build his confidence .

Well on about day 12 he came out on his own to sit on my lap on a blanket to take in his new surroundings . Then allowed him to retreat to his "comfort zone kitty room".

Noe you wouldn't think it's the same shy kitty ! He is now very outgoing !

Lots of love patience and slow introductions , rotate free roaming to build confidence

Keep us updated often ! Head smooches to all paws,

Klfuchs1996

Lairian
She comes out and rubs all over me and is really comfortable with me but with strangers she freaks out. I’m mainly concerned cause I have two large pitbulls and they are very friendly and her brother and my pups get along great but I’m afraid they are going to traumatize her cause they are going to want to go up and sniff her:/ I’m hoping she comes around after seeing her brother play with the dogs and interact with them, he brothers name is Anubis and her name is Chakra, I’ll attach some pics of the both of them:)

Attachments

• 5B6BEBD0-A6C1-4DBA-9579-855FB2952E3E.jpeg
    5B6BEBD0-A6C1-4DBA-9579-855FB2952E3E.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 08D0FA76-9D2E-4AC2-9052-0C1E5B2DE0BD.jpeg
    08D0FA76-9D2E-4AC2-9052-0C1E5B2DE0BD.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 02591A36-5707-4C80-B7DD-513E42C4358D.jpeg
    02591A36-5707-4C80-B7DD-513E42C4358D.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 852B6D76-E2D9-4843-8A78-7FBCE659D214.jpeg
    852B6D76-E2D9-4843-8A78-7FBCE659D214.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 0A54D4BC-3DD3-4E54-9991-F8EFBBBBB070.jpeg
    0A54D4BC-3DD3-4E54-9991-F8EFBBBBB070.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 3EC3A990-5A8B-452E-A11A-D8263CBCEAEC.jpeg
    3EC3A990-5A8B-452E-A11A-D8263CBCEAEC.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 25

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratz on your new baby! Very good advice already given. Every time I bring a new one in the house it takes a little time, patience and love. I try to be home for a couple of weeks during introductions and keep my cool.... sometimes I end up separating them for periods and starting over with introductions. I find that Feliway works too. The thing that's worked best is love, love and more love. I'm sure your doing fine. Keep us updated and good luck!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats! Just be sure to have a couple of cat trees to create vertical space for her to go up on rather than hiding under things. If she can perch and look down at the others she will feel more in control rather than feeling hunted. She just needs to build her confidence up. Another great way is to heat up,a blanket in the dryer and swaddle her and walk around with her so she can look down at the others, but still associate you as the warm/safe zone.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats! Just be sure to have a couple of cat trees to create vertical space for her to go up on rather than hiding under things. If she can perch and look down at the others she will feel more in control rather than feeling hunted. She just needs to build her confidence up. Another great way is to heat up,a blanket in the dryer and swaddle her and walk around with her so she can look down at the others, but still associate you as the warm/safe zone.
Very good advice! I'm gonna have that warm swaddle thing as an ace when my new baby arrives for christmas!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Klfuchs1996 , awwhhhhh adorable pics!
Stay positive , I have two rotties you should see the once shy one lovin and meowing on them now.
Go at kitties comfort level -
Love your pitties! What sweet pics!

One thing I did during the intros was put my dogs in wire crates in the living room . If your dogs are crate trained and calm in the crates it's a great tool.
I put my other kitty in the bedroom .
I trained one on one with new kitty .
I let kitty free roam with dogs crated . They are not food aggressive so I was able to place a filled Kong with them while kitty explored . I put a heated blanket from dryer on the living room chair for kitty to sit and watch the dogs with lots of petting and praise .

I used dog kibble as treats . As kitty approached crates I praised and used a command leave amd treated dogs. They just went back to relaxing with their filled kongs . I did this daily . New kitty built confident to go up to the crates and sniff and actually walked all around even on top!
At night I would watch tv with dogs crated and kitty free roaming .
Once kitty was comfortable , I took one dog at a time on a leash sitting next to me at the couch and let kitty free roaming for sniffs n greets -
I have also used a baby gate held in place by me at kitty's safe room door for meet n sniffs with dog leashed (it gives a mental control thing to them )
I actually took the baby gate and zip tied it in the full open position amd turned it sideways on door way amd held in place with my foot for meet n sniffs

I worked up to leashing dog to me around the house as kitty free roamed .
You get the idea ...
I also put up kitty when I left the house while dogs free roamed while I did supervised introductions .

Now she is Sooo talkative and head butts and sniffs dogs ears lifting their lips with her head talking to them all the time !
She even lays by their bellies as they chew on their Busy Buddy jacks . No longer needed crates.
This from a kitty that hid under the bed what seemed like forever when I brought her home .
I would camp out on the floor .

I am sure other members will chime in with more great tips :) to pick and choose what works best.

Lots of head smooches to all paws ! Precious!
Look forward to lots of pics and tales!
Keep us updated !

I truly believe they learn from watching others too ! So I think your are right on track!

Last edited:

Klfuchs1996

Lairian
She comes out and rubs all over me and is really comfortable with me but with strangers she freaks out. I’m mainly concerned cause I have two large pitbulls and they are very friendly and her brother and my pups get along great but I’m afraid they are going to traumatize her cause they are going to want to go up and sniff her:/ I’m hoping she comes around after seeing her brother play with the dogs and interact with them, he brothers name is Anubis and her name is Chakra, I’ll attach some pics of the both of them:)
@Klfuchs1996 , awwhhhhh adorable pics!
Stay positive , I have two rotties you should see the once shy one lovin and meowing on them now.
Go at kitties comfort level -
Love your pitties! What sweet pics!

One thing I did during the intros was put my dogs in wire crates in the living room . If your dogs are crate trained and calm in the crates it's a great tool.
I put my other kitty in the bedroom .
I trained one on one with new kitty .
I let kitty free roam with dogs crated . They are not food aggressive so I was able to place a filled Kong with them while kitty explored . I put a heated blanket from dryer on the living room chair for kitty to sit and watch the dogs with lots of petting and praise .

I used dog kibble as treats . As kitty approached crates I praised and used a command leave amd treated dogs. They just went back to relaxing with their filled kongs . I did this daily . New kitty built confident to go up to the crates and sniff and actually walked all around even on top!
At night I would watch tv with dogs crated and kitty free roaming .
Once kitty was comfortable , I took one dog at a time on a leash sitting next to me at the couch and let kitty free roaming for sniffs n greets -
I have also used a baby gate held in place by me at kitty's safe room door for meet n sniffs with dog leashed (it gives a mental control thing to them )
I actually took the baby gate and zip tied it in the full open position amd turned it sideways on door way amd held in place with my foot for meet n sniffs

I worked up to leashing dog to me around the house as kitty free roamed .
You get the idea ...
I also put up kitty when I left the house while dogs free roamed while I did supervised introductions .

Now she is Sooo talkative and head butts and sniffs dogs ears lifting their lips with her head talking to them all the time !
She even lays by their bellies as they chew on their Busy Buddy jacks . No longer needed crates.
This from a kitty that hid under the bed what seemed like forever when I brought her home .
I would camp out on the floor .

I am sure other members will chime in with more great tips :) to pick and choose what works best.

Lots of head smooches to all paws ! Precious!
Look forward to lots of pics and tales!
Keep us updated !

I truly believe they learn from watching others too ! So I think your are right on track!
Thank you for all the advice! The dogs stay crated whenever the new kitten is out exploring and the only time she freaks out is if they move and accidentally make a noise against the kennel, and sadly I can’t hold her while the dogs are out or even if strangers are in the room cause she flails around and tries to run and hide. I’m hoping she gains some confidence soon as the dogs just want to make friends with her:) she’s a sweet girl and I’m sure she will adjust pretty quickly, Anubis from day one would go up to the dogs kennels and start meowing and getting all mad I wouldn’t let them out so I let them out and they were all instant friends haha, he never leaves the dogs alone, he’s constantly rubbing on them and trying to get them to play lol so I’m hoping Chakra becomes the same way eventually she’s just a very shy kitten

Attachments

• 7489F6B7-EF08-4EB8-9A48-E35FDA6D8175.jpeg
    7489F6B7-EF08-4EB8-9A48-E35FDA6D8175.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 47
Back