Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Nervous

BlueGirl

Lairian
Hey there, Loki is 6 months old now, and I'm thinking about getting him neutered soon. But I'm really nervous about it. I think I'm getting too attached to him, the thought of just handing him off to the vet and leaving makes me feel awful. Its so odd I've never been this nervous about geting a pet fixed before, I know its for their own good and that its relitavly simple but Loki is so special to me, he's my little boy and I dont want him to feel hurt or abandoned.

How old were your babies when they were fixed?
Any after care tips?

:Sweat: i feel so silly

Attachments

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gulliver was 6 months too, and I felt the exact same way, and I never had before. I didn't want to leave him for a second. But all went well the hospital called me after surgery to let me know I could come back and get him after work. He was back to his old self in 2 hours :)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Wrinkles was 7 months when she was altered and Cleo and Polar were altered before I got them.
Cleo was 3.5 months and Polar 4 months.
Just make sure the vet does not use Ketamine when he is altered.
Everything should be fine.
It is very easy with males.
You should alter him soon or he may start spraying.

Bella07

Banned
Aaaww, he is gorgeous! As a matter of fact, last year I had the priviledge of watching my vet do several spay ad neuter surgeries on cats (and dogs.) Well, with the males, it seriously takes only 1 minute to "snip snip." Really! The vet would gently place the cat on the table, and in one minute, he would be finished. I was shocked at how fast and smooth the procedure really was!

I have had dozens of animals in the past spayed and neutered. And, all of them were healthy and happy afterwards! My vet usually won't spay kittens until they are 2 pounds. After that, all is good!

So, really. Don't be worried. Trust your vet, and relax! I highly recommend having Loki fixed now. Especially before he starts spraying :Wink: Good Luck!

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
to re-assure yourself that he will be in good hands, visit the vet before you have Loki neutered. Just let them know you would like to see the holding/observation areas because you are a bit nervous.

Every good vet I've know, has no problem showing those areas and will make you comfortable bringing your friend there.

If they brush you off, or it makes you uncomfortable, ask them to address your concerns or find another vet.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I took Butternuts to the SPCA when he was 8 months. It turned out way better than I ever hoped. Dropped him off at 8 in the morning and came back at 3. He was ready to go and meowing up a storm. "The procedure" didn't phase him one bit. He was back to his normal self as soon as we got home. No hangover from anesthesia. He didn't even lick his balls in discomfort.

When I picked him up, the vet came out. Guess what? She has a sphynx too! As soon as I heard that, I knew he was in good hands. It was extremely easy and convenient. And the best part was Butterball was not stressed at all. I give the whole process an A+. I was a very satisfied customer. I hope your experience is as good as mine.

LLevenson

Lairian
Arias was 6 months old when he was neutered. I was worried too! It didn't help that my hubby kept saying to Arias, "now remember, it's your MOM who is making you do this"....so not funny at the time! :ThumbsDown:

Make sure your vet uses only the gas, not Ketamine. The procedure took all of a few minutes. Our vet tech loves Sphynxies and has always wanted one so Arias never even went in a cage for recovery--she held him bundled in a blanket while he recuperated! Spoiled rotten I tell you!

He didn't seem fazed by the surgery at all. The pain meds the vet gave us made him SUPER hyper (I mean, literally bouncing off the walls and running circles around the house for hours.) So by the 2nd day i didn't give them to him and he seemed totally fine. Actually, he finally rested which I think was way more important than any possible pain! Did anyone else have this same response to the pain meds?

funny thing about a male Sphynx getting fixed--b/c "parts" (i.e skin) is still there, people ask us ALL THE TIME if he's actually neutered! When we got him home from the vet, his bits were slightly swollen after the surgery, and it kinda looked like nothing had been done. I actually touched to make sure there was nothing there! :Surprise:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Arias was 6 months old when he was neutered. I was worried too! It didn't help that my hubby kept saying to Arias, "now remember, it's your MOM who is making you do this"....so not funny at the time! :ThumbsDown:

Make sure your vet uses only the gas, not Ketamine. The procedure took all of a few minutes. Our vet tech loves Sphynxies and has always wanted one so Arias never even went in a cage for recovery--she held him bundled in a blanket while he recuperated! Spoiled rotten I tell you!

He didn't seem fazed by the surgery at all. The pain meds the vet gave us made him SUPER hyper (I mean, literally bouncing off the walls and running circles around the house for hours.) So by the 2nd day i didn't give them to him and he seemed totally fine. Actually, he finally rested which I think was way more important than any possible pain! Did anyone else have this same response to the pain meds?

funny thing about a male Sphynx getting fixed--b/c "parts" (i.e skin) is still there, people ask us ALL THE TIME if he's actually neutered! When we got him home from the vet, his bits were slightly swollen after the surgery, and it kinda looked like nothing had been done. I actually touched to make sure there was nothing there! :Surprise:
People always ask me if Ball was neutered. I say yeah and they say he "but he's still got balls". So I tell them he's still got balls they're just deflated. Do people really think when an animal is neutered they actually chop off their man parts? Yikes.

LLevenson

Lairian
People always ask me if Ball was neutered. I say yeah and they say he "but he's still got balls". So I tell them he's still got balls they're just deflated. Do people really think when an animal is neutered they actually chop off their man parts? Yikes.
yeah, people say "but when my dog/cat was neutered there wasn't any skin left like that"....I'm like, "uh, yes there is, there's just HAIR to cover it!" :LOL:

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Dinka needs to be neutered too. He is 6 months ALREADY. His little man bits look like two black Greek olives against his blue skin. So obvious. Should I have implants after he is neutered to give him that Macho Look? Just kidding - Mom would have a cow.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Little boys recover very quickly from the surgery. I wouldn't be worried about it, it really isn't invasive at all (not like a spay). But like LLevenson said, make SURE your vet knows to never use ketamine on a sphynx. My vet uses isoflurane for surgery/dental work on my kitties.

BlueGirl

Lairian
Little boys recover very quickly from the surgery. I wouldn't be worried about it, it really isn't invasive at all (not like a spay). But like LLevenson said, make SURE your vet knows to never use ketamine on a sphynx. My vet uses isoflurane for surgery/dental work on my kitties.
yeah i heard that ketamine wasnt good, why is it particularly bad for sphynx? is it the injected anasthetic? sorry i dont know much about the vet side.

I went in today to ask about everything and put my mind at rest and I did ask what type of anasthetic they use but the nurse just said that its a three gas combination. which just confused me even more, as i would have liked the medical name.

I feel a bit embarresed as there is also another issue that makes me worry. I've noticed on several occasions that the vet has very shakey hands, not a big deal when she's just checking him over but I dont like the idea of her shaking while using a skalpel on my baby. But I'm afraid to ask about it encase she is offended. I trust her and know she is a good vet but I've not seen her sugical work before.

ktate88

Banned
yeah i heard that ketamine wasnt good, why is it particularly bad for sphynx? is it the injected anasthetic? sorry i dont know much about the vet side.

I went in today to ask about everything and put my mind at rest and I did ask what type of anasthetic they use but the nurse just said that its a three gas combination. which just confused me even more, as i would have liked the medical name.

I feel a bit embarresed as there is also another issue that makes me worry. I've noticed on several occasions that the vet has very shakey hands, not a big deal when she's just checking him over but I dont like the idea of her shaking while using a skalpel on my baby. But I'm afraid to ask about it encase she is offended. I trust her and know she is a good vet but I've not seen her sugical work before.
From my understanding the problem is sometimes ketamine can cause a higher blood pressure. Which in an undiagnosed cat with HCM can be fatal. Ie: High blood pressure in a heart with thicker walls(possibly smaller arteries/vessels).

Some anesthetics can cause a low pulse. They are all different. I am talking to my vet about using propofol

Inferno12

Banned
Dinka needs to be neutered too. He is 6 months ALREADY. His little man bits look like two black Greek olives against his blue skin. So obvious. Should I have implants after he is neutered to give him that Macho Look? Just kidding - Mom would have a cow.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Someone needs to get their guy implants on the Lair! Maybe it should be you :Wink: