Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Neuro/muscular disease in 1 yr old boy?!?!

Brendacg12

Lairian
Hi all, first post here... I have a male sphynx about to turn 1. Ever since I got him, he does this thing where he chews on the right side of his mouth for like 5 seconds, just every now and then randomly. Almost like he's chewing gum! Two separate vets told me it was nothing to worry about... the past week or so after he is hunched down to eat and stands to walk - his legs twitch but eventually stop. I plan on bringing him to the vet tomorrow... anything specific I should be concerned about or bring to the vet's attention?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. Did you by chance capture this behavior on video? Would be great if you can share with your vet and maybe us. @Brendacg12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Hopefully you can catch it on video for the vet to watch. I never heard of an chewing issue like this before. Please let us know what the vet says.

Sheldon13

Staff member
My first thought is there is something in between his teeth you can’t see or perhaps a foreign body in the palate or gum area. It might be very small. It causes discomfort so hence the air chewing. He twitches after he eats because eating irritates the spot and it’s more uncomfortable. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
welcome... positive vibes sent.. keep us updated on the vet visit
look forward to lots of pics and tales of your boy... what's his name?

also whenever I am at the vet, I ask to take a good listen to the heart for any murmurs

I would ask to rule out any idiopathic mild seizure that could cause odd behavior?
I am not a vet abut just wanted to share some of the things we have seen on the lair
with our babies..

Back