Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Neutering benefits?

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butchie is nearly 9 months old now and we've not had him neutered. He's an only cat (so far) and there's not been any spraying or behavioural problems that could be linked to sexual maturity. I just don't know why we would have him neutered if there's no change in our circumstances or his behaviour? Are there any particular benefits for health or anything else?

I think if we did get a second sphynx, I can see that his behaviour might change if he's still intact... I've been thinking if we get a second cat it might be best to get a female as I've read it might cause issues introducing a second male? Anyway, can you have a spayed female and an intact male? So many questions, but so many people on here with so much experience, so I hope you can help :)

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
There is a good chance of him trying to escape to find a female to mate with. They can start to spray at any time. Plus neutering can help with any aggression or rowdiness. Was he purchased on a contract to spay/ neuter? If you get your female, he may be trying to mount or attack her even if she gets spayed. Better safe than sorry.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina
Here is a link

Should I spay or neuter my sphynx cat?

It is in Sphynx info center of the link doesn't open here

Just click om the info center box and scroll down to to the thread

Head smooches to Butchie

I highly recommend neutering amd if you decide to .. Make sure you tell your vet No Ketamine anesthesia !!! Have them put it on his chart !

It can have a rebound effect on the heart so be sure to ask your vet if they use Isoflurane or similar

Ps - I have a Sphynx adoptee quad squad - 3 males , 1 female
All very cuddly together

Last edited:

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom Oh, thank you very much for that link! I tried searching on here, but couldn't find what I was looking for. That's the kind information I was looking for - clear and concise benefits, and I think I've been convinced that he'll need to be snipped.

I'll be sure to ask about the type of anesthesia used, no Ketamine for sure, but were you saying that something like Isoflurane is okay, or..?

Another thing I wondered about when it comes to this topic is if anyone else has heard of or used Neuticles!? :) I've think they sound good, and they really don't cost much. That way he'll never know that they're missing, and he'd look the same :whistle: We've grown used to how he looks, and he'd look funny without his little baby nuts (as my hubby calls them)... :D

https://www.neuticles.com/original.php

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MollysMom Hmm, yea you're probably right... Active male and spayed female could still be a problem! I have to admit though, I'm already convinced he'll need to be fixed due to health reasons alone. At the moment the roaming is not an issue for us though - we live on the 6th floor in an apartment in town centre :D However, we are planning on moving in the next 6 months and it might be to a house with a garden, so... We have a roof terrace at the moment, but he's not allowed out there for obvious reasons!:ROFLMAO:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you really think Neuticles are needed that is your choice. I've had those things on my radar for many years and I think they really are more for the people than the pets. The animals never notice that their bits are gone. We have never considered getting them and we are on our third snipped boy. Well, fifth if you count dogs too! They all have been happy as can be with their little raisins!

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@carakitty Yea, I agree that it might be for the human's benefit to some extent, but I also think it can benefit the animal. Perhaps it makes more of a difference to dogs? I've read they can get quite upset to notice that their bits are gone, which is apparently why the guy that came up with the Neuticles invented them after his dog was neutered. Personally I think it can't be a bad thing for any animal to not know that something's very different about them all of a sudden :)

However, I've just read that in the UK the vets might not even agree to do it because it's considered an 'unethical' procedure by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, but we will inquire about it anyway. If it's a no, we will still go ahead with it because of the benefits of having it done for his long term health.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I respect that you wanted to know the reasons why neutering is beneficial. So many solid reasons it is quite eye opening for many. Many just don’t know and don’t ask. I think I will share the link on the Sphynxlair FB Page tonight. You helped many of us remember never assume.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, Butchie's booked in for the snip on Oct 2... I gave up on the Neuticles idea and we just hope he'll be happy without his little baby nuts. I asked what anesthesia they use and the vet said Propofol I think, and Isoflourane gas, but I did make sure it wasn't Ketamine!

Were there any other anesthetics that should NOT be used..?:cautious:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina , positive vibes for Butchies neuter surgery .
My vet issues the same - Propofol amd Isoflurane - NO Ketamine.
Ask ahead of time if they send home any pain meds or a come of shame -
Fwiw, my boys amd girls were never sent home with a cone -
They did great

The boys neuter is so quick amd they seem like they don't miss s beat when they get home .
I never told them about "neuticles " lol
They didn't miss em

Are they doing pre blood work?
Several members work in vets offices amd may be able to chime in more about other Anesthetics to avoid

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Cinafina , positive vibes for Butchies neuter surgery .
My vet issues the same - Propofol amd Isoflurane - NO Ketamine.
Ask ahead of time if they send home any pain meds or a come of shame -
Fwiw, my boys amd girls were never sent home with a cone -
They did great

The boys neuter is so quick amd they seem like they don't miss s beat when they get home .
I never told them about "neuticles " lol
They didn't miss em

Are they doing pre blood work?
Several members work in vets offices amd may be able to chime in more about other Anesthetics to avoid

Hmm, pre blood work..? :unsure: There was no mention of that. What's the reason for doing it?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cinafina Some vets suggest pre-anesthesia blood work before surgery .
Often times based on age etc ..
You can ask your vet about it

They called it pre -anesthesia blood work for my kitty .
It helped show organ function and you can ask if it would show sensitivity to certain anesthesia .

My boy did not have blood work for his neuter . My First girl did for her spay bcz of heart condition and very distinct heart murmur

Last edited:
Back