Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

never introduced myself - pretty long

I've been posting a lot the last couple of weeks, but I realized that I never introduced myself. I'm Destiny, and my husband and I along with our three babies live in Round Rock, Texas which is just on the northern edge of Austin.

We are both from the CA Bay Area originally, and that's where we were introduced to Sphynxes. I've always been a cat person, and Brian's allergic. We had heard that some people don't have problems with Sphynxes, so we went to a breeder to visit, and we instantly fell in love with their outgoing personality. Very soon after that we decided it was time to escape California, and we moved to Austin. It took me about a year to get together the money for our first Sphynx, but I did it! I drove to Tulsa, OK to pick up Anubis. He had the most incredible personality I've ever experienced. We used to joke that he made up for his sub-par show qualities with a sense of humor. :) From the moment I picked him up, he knew we belonged together. Everyone that ever met him loved him, and he made friends everywhere he went. We found out when he was five that he had HCM, and I can't express how heart broken I was. The vet told us that we could lose him at anytime, but he was a singularly stubborn cat. He lived another three years and was mischievous and loving up until the day before we lost him.

When Anubis was about a little less than a year old, we got our second Sphynx Zuul, from the same breeder. We call her our Princess, or the Momma Cat. She's incredibly dainty and yet strong willed. She is very high strung (we always wonder if it's because of being shipped, or because she stayed with the breeder three months longer than most kittens) and can get very upset easily. She yells at you with a nose quiver and a silent meow when you tell her no, or if you sneeze. She's not as outgoing outside of the house like all of our other babies, but inside the house she is the love bug of the family. We actually had to put her on prozac, because when we introduced a new adopted family member she was having anxiety attacks so bad that we thought it couldn't be healthy. She would screech and cry and lose control of her bowels, even when there was no confrontation we could see. The medication has helped her immensely, and she's happier than we've seen in a long, long time.

In December, we got Akasha. We knew that Anubis was getting close to the time we were going to lose him, and we wanted a companion for Zuul. We were looking at kittens, when I came across a Craigslist ad for someone who was going through a divorce and couldn't keep their 3yo female sphynx. I looked up the address and saw it was less than a mile from our house. We went to the house intending to be open minded, but it was all over when we saw how badly she was being cared for. Her butt was covered in poo stains, dirt was flaking off her body, and her nails couldn't be seen at all below the layers of grime. We figured $300 was a small price to pay to get her into our house where she'd be cared for. Once we got her home, it took three baths to get her clean. The next day I realized there were so many questions I should have asked, such as her vet, the breeder, her vaccinations, etc. I sent an email to the woman, and three days later she replied that she couldn't give me any of that information, because she would have to ask her sister, and her sister would know that she sold her cat. (!!??)

It turns out that the woman who owned her was really going through a divorce, and had dropped her off at her sister's house, and then never came back to get her. The sister, who had dogs, cats, and ran a daycare out of her home, decided enough was enough and put up the ad, then pretended to me like her sister lived with her and wouldn't come downstairs because she was so heartbroken about giving her up. Wow! Akasha (who was originally named Kiki) is slowly integrating into our household. We get the feeling that she was never treated like a pet, more like a piece of furniture. All conjecture of course, but she's not used to being picked up, or getting lots of attention. We are changing that day by day. She's definitely the biggest challenge we've had, but also the biggest reward. Each time she does something small to show she's getting comfortable it feels like a huge success.

Unfortunately, Akasha wasn't the companion for Zuul that we hoped she would be. They have a very alpha female head butting thing going. So, we decided to get a kitten. :D After we lost Anubis, we knew we needed kitten love to make the hurt recede, and we still wanted someone for Zuul. She likes to groom and cuddle, and neither Anubis or Akasha were into that. We drove to Lake Charles, Louisiana and picked up Loki the kitten from in April. Loki and Zuul love each other. Zuul has lost at least a pound from suddenly becoming active with a kitten, and they are constantly curling up together. She acts like his momma, and cleans him all over. He loves the attention.

So, that's my very long Sphynx story! I'd love to have you guys as Facebook friends so I can see more hairless babies everyday. :) I am Destiny Augustine, and there's only two of us on Facebook. Hint - I'm not the African American 16 year old in Georgia. :Wink: It's so nice to have this community, and get to know you all!

Last edited:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
You need to remove the breeders names though because it is against site rules.
My sisters 2nd sphynx came came from the same cattery you got your first sphynx from.
I am from the Bay Area also but do not live there anymore.
What city did you live in?
You may add me.

Welcome to the site.
You need to remove the breeders names though because it is against site rules.
My sisters 2nd sphynx came came from the same cattery you got your first sphynx from.
I am from the Bay Area also but do not live there anymore.
What city did you live in?
You may add me.
Thanks, I took the breeder names out. I grew up in Bethel Island, and went to school in Brentwood. When I was 18, I moved to the Antioch/Pittsburg area. We also lived in Martinez/Concord. I really miss the Bay, but I don't miss the traffic. :) We are going for a week next month and will be staying in Walnut Creek for my friend's wedding.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I grew up in San Bruno then lived in South San Francisco before we moved out here.
My husband grew up in the Walnut Creek Pleasant Hill area.
My dads GF lives in Pittsburg.
My husband has relatives in Brentwood.
It is a nice area.
My cousin lived in Martinez.
I have many relatives in the Bay Area still.
I will be in San Jose next month showing my sphynxs.
How do you like Texas?

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site!! :) and loved the intro! i'm gonna add you to FB!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello KushielsTart and welcome to Sphynxlair! What a great story! Thanks for joining!:ThumbsUp:

Hello and welcome to the Lair! I grew up in Southern California- Ventura/Ojai area to be exact. I always did love the Bay area though. I really miss the coast.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Welcome!! I added you on FB, my name is Anita! My brother lives in Austin :) My Hubby, Gulliver and I live in the Chicagoland area

Welcome to Texas! Its always nice to find another Sphynx owner here. I am North of ya'll straight up I35 toward Ft.Worth. I love the Round Rock area.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I loved reading about you and the kitties. I sent a request to add you to my FB friends.