Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New addition- stressed?

Janusz

Lairian
Hello-

I just got another sphynx from a breeder I got my other sphynx from. She is 2.5 years old. We will have her only a week tomorrow. We have another furry cat and a dog.

My question is...should I correct her behavior if she lashes out at the other animals. She is odd...one minute she is kissing my other sphynx and two seconds later, she snaps at him and hisses. She also bites fingers like that, byt on the other hand, she is super loving. No idea why she lashes out like this and what to do about it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz comgrats on your Gotcha ,
Do you have a pic ? Name ?

I have all adult adoptees amd dogs
Highly recommend setting up a room for her with all the necessities
Heck I set up a bathroom and put in a cat tree lol

I camped out for hours with him building confidence to his new big world
I let my adult adoptees go at their comfort level

I put up the others and let newbie free roam alone to build confidence
Poor thing didn’t even want to come out for 10 days !

I did lots of sloooow intros ( great tips threads )

I wouldn’t correct the lashing out I think it’s a lack of confidence fear thing and you don’t want her to get more scared - some members use the Feliway diffusers but my boy actually hissed at it !

It took me sometime weeks months but now he is a snuggle bug with the dogs and the most outgoing ! Kitty safe room and slow intros is my best suggestion

Pm me anytime
Head smooches sent to all paws !
Some just take a little longer

Last edited:

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with @Yoda mom. She has a lot of experience blending her sphynx family, so I would take her advice!

Sounds like the newest addition is still adjusting to her new surroundings. Some cats transition more easily, while others need to be helped a long with baby steps.
As Yoda Mom also mentioned, I too set up a bathroom with a litter box, cat tree, food/water, blankets and toys for my newest baby. She and I camped out in there until I could tell she wanted to meet the boys (surprisingly quickly, as she met everyone on day 2)! Had their intros not gone well, I would have separated her again until ready to do second intros, and so on. Even though she did become acquainted with all our boys very quickly, she is still separated in her room when no one is home to keep an eye on her. I will continue to do this until she gives me cues that she’s confident and big enough to be fully integrated, 100% of the time!
Another thing I would add is to bring all the babies around one another after they’ve all had a significant play time. That way, they’re less hyper and less on edge. They also wont be vying for your attention since they already had their own one-on-one time with you!
Good luck!

Janusz

Lairian
I understand and agree with all that has been said, The issue I am struggling with is, do I keep the cats separated at all times? If so, when will I know it is ok for them to co-exist? When Mooshka does not hiss at all? It really does seem that Mooshka is fine with Janusz for as long as he leaves her alone. She runs up to greet him, I can feed them next to each other and engage them in play with me. No issues. The issue starts when Janusz tries to play with her or be close to her on my lap, on the tree hut or whatever. I get that she is just insecure as this is all new...my question is, do I keep them apart at all times? If I see Janusz trying to play with her, do I intervene? Is it a bad thing that she hisses at him? She also seems to be just fine with our other kitty-Baby Hair, but he does not bother her at all.

This site is so wonderful—so glad it exists. All advice is truly appreciated. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz
I kept them separated when I wasn’t home .
I built up time free roaming together when I could dedicate 1110% of time as a mini training session as you will - got two pole toys and a bag of treats as a distraction -
There was the usual sniffing and hissing and establishing the pecking order
Just keep up the positive socialization sessions - I found a tall cst tree as well as the smart cat climber really helped too - it gives them a place to perch and watch amd build confidence-
My moms kitties were full out brawl in the beginning amd turned out the best besties

When wil you know ?

I swear it was a like a light bulb went on - I watched body language constantly -
They would sit on the couch at a distance at first then next to each other and groomed each other - I praised and gave treats

I would go about my chores “ listening “ to them amd give a peek with praise and a treat-
I would build up to me going outdide to yard work amd Checking in on them -
I trained them to spot for meet n greets -
Lol then I would take a short ride around the block and come home and see how they were
Together - the. Off to grocery shopping

I trained and socialized much like dog training
Lol I did give my more dominant Toby some 5 minute time outs cause he was a brat at first -
Now he is a love bug with the bunch

I knew it was time when there wasn’t tussling amd I could see the pecking order was established - hissing is all part of it for them to establish their boundaries eoth each other too.
they were eating , playimg together snoozing and grooming together

Janusz

Lairian
One more question, to break her of biting, I either say no, or put her on floor and ignore her. What reason do you think she does this biting? She will just be sitting on my lap and I pet her and then all of a sudden, she bites. I mean, her body language is that she is purring and seems content. It is kind of odd.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz when I got my Toby he did the same
I think it was stress amd over stimulation
Purring can be contentment or a stress sign -
Some stressed kitties will purr at the vet office too

I learned his threshold for petting Watching his ears tails smd eyes .
I would give a stern ah amd tell him Toby have looooove
Lol now his nick name is “Toby Love”
He hasn’t done it he settled in
My older adoptees took a few weeks

You are doing a great job !
Head smooches sent
Ps.
Be sure to clean any breaks

Janusz

Lairian
Thank you much! Today was a better day. Other than Mooshka biting me...she did EXTREMELY well with her interactions with the boys. She only hissed one time at Janusz and that was super early in the morning when. Moved too wuick and jump on the kitty condo next to her. Other than that, they have been sleeping on and off on my lap next to each other. Tomorrow, i go back to work and she will be in her bathroom.

Attachments

• FBA7D2BF-D447-478E-8CA5-A21B252C4890.jpeg
    FBA7D2BF-D447-478E-8CA5-A21B252C4890.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 43

Yoda mom

Staff member
Ah! I see big progress yah!
I kmow it Sucks separating while you are at work
But thst will change ! They will be zooming together in no time!
Great update !

Head smooches

Janusz

Lairian
Another day...another question...
So Mooshka is put in her bathroom all day and spends the night in there. When i get home from work and let her out, she greets the boys very sweetly. Touches noses and then just runs off. My new question is, should I not let them play? What I mean is, when Janusz jumps at her or plays with her, she hisses at him. Little Baby Hair does not really engage her in play, however, when I was playing with all three of them, Mooshka ran up to him, hissed at him, swatted him and left. Poor Baby hair did not even do anything. If I see Janusz try to play with her, should I tell him not to or just not let them interact like this? I mean, how are they ever supposed to learn how to interact if I am always interjecting? Janusz is not being aggressive with her or trying to hurt her in any way, he is just trying to antagonize her to play with him. He does try to jump on her a little but though.

Janusz

Lairian
Another thing that is odd, Janusz is being kinda mean to Baby Hair. They are both boys and typicaly get along just fine. Is this because the dynamics are thrown off from the newcomer? Baby Hair is really timid but he literally just put Janusz in his place just now. Goood, that is what he needes to do. He is pribably tired of getting picked on. Makes me sad as like I said, they used to play very nice before Mooshka came along. I realize it has inly been a week. Maybe everyone needs to adjust.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz I think it’s the settling in transition time
Mine took a few weeks
They will work out there pecking order
So far so good IMHO

It’s s big new world for them amd they are communication with each other

When home I watched with 110% attention amd give them leeway to work the pack out
If one ( my Toby ) got to be too much I put him up in a time out
I know it can be sad to watch them work it out but they do amd in no time will be over the getting to know each other phases and go on to being a little pack

My Toby was fresh ! At times I did put a harness amd leash on him for the socializing so he couldn’t be a total brat

I also cross scented face clothes and put by each other’s food for positive
and eachs fav spot blankie bed for association without the physical kitty meet stressor

I think they Are doing fine
It’s been only a week

Keep up the good work !
Head smooches to all paws !

Look forward to the video

Janusz

Lairian
I took some good videos. One is too large to attach. Is there another way i can send?

Attachments

• 25BD1094-CBF5-4D9E-A9D3-6FADE90EB372.MOV
    46.6 MB

Janusz

Lairian
I got the other video to upload. Mooshka is the one with color. This is the first time she actually batted Janusz back. Typically, she hisses and runs.

Sheldon13

Staff member
@Janusz

The behavior in the video looks totally normal to be. They are just squabbling a little bit but the claws weren’t out and nobody is biting. I think they are doing good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Janusz

Lairian
Update: Mooshka seems to be trying to play more, however, if the boys get too close to her in a rowdy fashion, she will hiss. She has been out with them all week while we worked. Today, she had a little scratch by her eye. I have not witnessed them fight per se, just her getting pissed at them. I have a feeling she will never like-like them. When she was at the breeder’s home, she was with males as she was to be used as a breeder but ultimately, she had reproductive issues and was spayed and retired. I think she may have PTSD from the males always trying to mate with her. o_O

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awh sound like she is setting boundaries
I have a spayed female retiree
She is a cuddle bug with the boys now but she rules her underlings with a swat and girly girl whine when she tells them how to snuggle next to her — she is a prissy priss animated
Then she welcomes them to groom her she is a hoot
many of us keep vetericyn spray on hand for any skin nicks and rubs li like it is non toxic

Head smooches sent
Wouldn’t be surprised if you come home and find them cuddling together

Back