Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
I adopted an adult female sphynx just yesterday and she is a lovable doll. However, she's been keeping sneezing, snoring, and having discharges from her eyes and nose. She's showing her third eyelid and I'm not sure is that a sign of infection or she's just asleep. To me, she seems like squinting a lot. Could you guys tell me whats going on here? It's my first time having a hairless cat and I'm freaked out. I had made appointment with a vet for two days later and I'm worrying a lot.

IMG_1077.PNG
IMG_1076.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1076.PNG
    IMG_1076.PNG
    174.5 KB · Views: 28

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. Most likely a URI upper respiratory infection. Your vet will most likely prescribe an antibiotic. Please keep us updated. Kudos to you for making a vet appointment amid the chaos.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Also heads up some do not respond well/quickly to Clavamox which is often prescribed...you might discuss with your vet that Doxycycline seems to be do well with the breed as it covers a broader spectrum of issues. I know you want to nip this fast. Will be looking for your updates. BTW your baby is beautiful. What is her name @mochiwhitegirl

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mochiwhitegirl , welcome to the lair family. bless you for adopting this sweetie. what is her name? it is not uncommon for newly homed kitties to get URI's and a trip to the vet with some meds on board should bring relief. , deep breathe, you got this :) I had better results with doxycycline than clavamox as mentioned.

keep us updated, hugs n positive vibe head smooches. look forward to you being an active member with us. I have 4 adult adoptees. it's a big new world and some do get stress related URI's and even UTI's. keep an eye out too on her litterbox habits, make sure she is peeing a good quantity and not frequent in and out of box trips. just something to watch for when we bring our babies home

here is a great thread we all refer to on sphynx life

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
Her name is Mochi. This morning she got lots of dried tears and boogers. She's not squinting a lot as I clear her tears with some yellowish sticky discharge from her eye. Another problem is that she has not pooped yet since she arrived (but she didn't eat a lot as well). The previous owner told me that she might doesn't like the litter. I used the cloud control for her, not sure if thats good for sphynx. She peed twice but I saw her rushed out of the litter box after peeing without covering her pee. Her previous owner says she never did that. Any recommendation on litters?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending healing vibes to Mochi!
I would recommend to use the same litter as the breeder has, at least for the first few weeks till she feels at home

Yoda mom

Staff member
@mochiwhitegirl , is Mochi's vet visit tomorrow? hopefully some antibiotics to clear things up. again, not uncommon for slight URI's when they come home. many of us have been there. at the vet I always ask for a pill popper and liquid syringe to make giving meds much easier. we can help with that too.

is she on the same litter , type of litter box she is used to at her previous home? there are many great litters out there. many of us use unscented clumping litter like Dr. Elseys. some litters can cause respiratory , eye irritations. often recommend during the transition to keep with same litter and food they are used to. then slowly transition. they usually tell us if they don't like their new litter or have a UTI brewing with out of the box peeing or small quantity of pee output.

when I adopted my boy, he didn't eat much and just hung out in his cat tree he came with. once he got used to his big new world, slow transition to free roaming, his appetite picked up and he became quite the cuddly chatterbox.

with the yellow eye discharge, definitely a vet visit. I know most of the vets are doing drop offs while we wait outside in the car. then they come out with the meds and instructions. please keep us updated ((hugs n head smooches))) following closely.

here is a picture to keep on hand. it's good to monitor urine output too.
1587660835669.png

Last edited:

mochiwhitegirl

Lairian
Thank everyone for your caring to Mochi. The vet gave me some antibiotics cream for her eyes, otherwise she’s healthy in general. There is a problem that she has heart murmur but the vet told me that it might because of she’s nervous at the visit. The breeder said mochi had never had murmur. Should I take her to check the HCM? There is one more question, the breeder gave me her because she was brought for breeding purpose but she had never came in heat. In that case, should I let the vet check her reproductive system and maybe spray her?
Here is a pic of her at the vet’s visit, her eyes are beautiful green when I cleaned all discharges lol

Attachments

• 4A31FD0F-8EB4-4DD8-8285-0F693D23AD4E.jpeg
    4A31FD0F-8EB4-4DD8-8285-0F693D23AD4E.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 25

Sheldon13

Staff member
There are so many benefits to spaying, really. It should definitely be done.

HCM scams can be expensive but they are really worth it so I would say yes, get one done

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back