Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

byulbunny

Lairian
photo_2019-01-04_18-59-46.jpg

Hey everybody! Brand new to this place - and here's one of a few photos to follow of our new baby, Noodle!

She's coming up to her 6 months mark and she's an absolute doll - cuddly and affectionate, yet an absolute little monster when she wants to be. I adore her to bits. She's a baby to three mummies here, I'm mummy number 2!

I hope that I could get some advice and feedback here, if that would be okay?

I've of course come to understand that sphynx cats are notoriously smelly, from their poop to their farts - and our Noodle is no different. Her poops are solid and plentiful but they do stink to high heavens and I'm not sure how she hasn't managed to gas herself under duvets yet!

She's fed the following;
Royal Canin Second Age Kitten (the dry kibble stuff) 2 times a day
Royal Canin Kitten (wet food) in Sauce in the morning
Animonda Carny (interchanging between different cans) in the evening...

These foods choices are not my own - mommy number 1 chose them after Royal Canin was recommended by the breeder, however after some reading I'm feeling very uncertain about these choices and if they're any good. From a health point of view as well as a smell point of view.

Another thing I wanted some advice on is how often should we bathe her? She sleeps with me in particular at night under the duvet with me and we can both get pretty sweaty, and on her own builds up quite a bit of grime by the end of a week, so we're bathing her once a week (or, it's more of a rub down because she's so difficult to bathe and scratches us to pieces). Should we bathe her less regularly? Plenty of people seem to advise that it shouldn't be done too often as it can actually make them dirtier...

So... advice, please and thank you!

And here's some more photos! :)

photo_2018-12-16_15-17-06.jpg
photo_2018-12-18_17-39-28.jpg
photo_2018-12-18_17-39-26.jpg

Have a lovely weekend! xo

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My girls at this point (4yrs old and 8 yrs old) get a bath about once a month.
Some bathe more often and some less.
My mother tends to bathe her little man every other week (I feel like he's dirtier then my girls as a result)

As for the poops .. Kittens do tend to be kinda smelly.
I cant really advise on what to feed from the pet store as I made the choice to feed raw due to a stomach condition my older baby has.
I do however swear by pumpkin puree. It's a magical thing as far as I'm concerned.

Noodle is just the sweetest looking little snuggle bug I ever did see, cant wait to see and hear more about her!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@byulbunny , cute alarm! Welcoming you and yours to the lair family !
So glad you jumped in to post with this fun friendly bunch!
Many members in your area I am sure will share products available in your area for food amd bathing that you can try to see what works best for Noodle .

I understand 100 % pure canned pumpkin may be harder to find in your area-
I believe members in your area have posted some options .

Sphynx Cat Help Center
Bathing your Sphynx Cat and why.
There are great posts in "similar threads " at the bottom of threads too

I am with the bunch that can longer between full spa days .
exfoliating gloves are a big help to speed up spa day and hold slippery kitty !
I used to have to wear a sweatshirt to bath my bunch .
I got a stokkes flexibath thst has a drain plug . I found using it over the bathroom sink at thst counter height really helped the process . I put a towel in t he bottom and the drain plug out
Angled over the sink .
There are lots of spa day tips members will share and have posted info
Noodle is just gorgeous!
Head smooches sent !
Hope you are active with us with lots of pics and tales!

Sheldon13

Staff member
What a sweet little brown girl!

We bathe about once monthly here. I will say, both cleanliness and gas/smelly poos are directly related to diet. That isn’t to say that what you are already feeding isn’t good. Sometimes a particular brand or a specific protein can make them more gassy. The least smelly you will get though is if you feed raw. Almost no smell at all, no kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@byulbunny Welcome to the site! Noodle is absolutely precious and sounds like a loving and cheeky wee girl :giggle: I don't know if can be of any help when it comes to the food... my boy is just over 1 year old now and is a right fussy eater. He has his dry food available at all times, and I put down some different flavours of Lily's Kitchen, but he only ever eat 1/3 or 1/2 at best. I give him a liquid snack a day to get his various supplements in to him (incl probiotics from Healthspan - brilliant stuff to keep digestive bacteria healthy!), but lately he's turned his nose up at that too, but I know there are Britissh websites selling raw petfood.. I can't comment on raw food as he went off that too... *sigh* :( I've been feeding James Wellbeloved Turkey Kitten kibbles, mixed 50/50 with Iams kitten dry food - seems a bit of variety in texture and flavour can't hurt! You can get pure pumpkin puree from Tesco and Sainsbury's baking section, maybe other stores too.

Baths, hmm, Butchie doesn't get very dirty... at all hardly! Especially now it's winter :rolleyes: During our immense heat wave here in UK last summer he did sweat a lot and got a bit dirtier. Keep the baths to monthly now just for hygiene in general and blackheads etc. I bought a big storage tub and put an anti-slip mat in the bottom. I use regular human exfoliating gloves (from Boots) and a few squirts of Johnson's baby bath. It can be a 2 man job to bathe at first so that it doesn't drag on, leading to stress for all involved. As mentioned above, diet can make a difference in dirtiness levels, as well as stinky toilet and gas.

byulbunny

Lairian
My girls at this point (4yrs old and 8 yrs old) get a bath about once a month.
Some bathe more often and some less.
My mother tends to bathe her little man every other week (I feel like he's dirtier then my girls as a result)

As for the poops .. Kittens do tend to be kinda smelly.
I cant really advise on what to feed from the pet store as I made the choice to feed raw due to a stomach condition my older baby has.
I do however swear by pumpkin puree. It's a magical thing as far as I'm concerned.

Noodle is just the sweetest looking little snuggle bug I ever did see, cant wait to see and hear more about her!

Awh, thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me! It really seems that they're all very very individual so probably just some trial and error until we find something that works.

I'm starting to think pumpkin puree might be a good thing to grab!

I'll try to post regularly, thanks! :) <3

byulbunny

Lairian
@byulbunny , cute alarm! Welcoming you and yours to the lair family !
So glad you jumped in to post with this fun friendly bunch!
Many members in your area I am sure will share products available in your area for food amd bathing that you can try to see what works best for Noodle .

I understand 100 % pure canned pumpkin may be harder to find in your area-
I believe members in your area have posted some options .

Sphynx Cat Help Center
Bathing your Sphynx Cat and why.
There are great posts in "similar threads " at the bottom of threads too

I am with the bunch that can longer between full spa days .
exfoliating gloves are a big help to speed up spa day and hold slippery kitty !
I used to have to wear a sweatshirt to bath my bunch .
I got a stokkes flexibath thst has a drain plug . I found using it over the bathroom sink at thst counter height really helped the process . I put a towel in t he bottom and the drain plug out
Angled over the sink .
There are lots of spa day tips members will share and have posted info
Noodle is just gorgeous!
Head smooches sent !
Hope you are active with us with lots of pics and tales!

Thanks so much for the kind reply...!!!! >3<

Thankfully I'm aware of some places that sell canned pumpkin puree so I'm going to grab some! Thinking it really might do some wonders.

Thanks for those links! I've been going through them for a while now, am taking lots of notes hehe.

Those are some great tips for bath time -- didn't even think of the gloves but gonna have to get a pair now!

I'll try to be as active as possible! Noodle is loving the head smooches and sends head buffs back! Hehe <3

byulbunny

Lairian
What a sweet little brown girl!

We bathe about once monthly here. I will say, both cleanliness and gas/smelly poos are directly related to diet. That isn’t to say that what you are already feeding isn’t good. Sometimes a particular brand or a specific protein can make them more gassy. The least smelly you will get though is if you feed raw. Almost no smell at all, no kidding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hehe thank you! And yeah that's what I'm thinking for sure, it seems very individual so we'll take plenty of notes and try things slowly to see what works and what doesn't work. Thanks for the advice though! We'll definitely be having a discussion about raw :) <3

byulbunny

Lairian
@byulbunny Welcome to the site! Noodle is absolutely precious and sounds like a loving and cheeky wee girl :giggle: I don't know if can be of any help when it comes to the food... my boy is just over 1 year old now and is a right fussy eater. He has his dry food available at all times, and I put down some different flavours of Lily's Kitchen, but he only ever eat 1/3 or 1/2 at best. I give him a liquid snack a day to get his various supplements in to him (incl probiotics from Healthspan - brilliant stuff to keep digestive bacteria healthy!), but lately he's turned his nose up at that too, but I know there are Britissh websites selling raw petfood.. I can't comment on raw food as he went off that too... *sigh* :( I've been feeding James Wellbeloved Turkey Kitten kibbles, mixed 50/50 with Iams kitten dry food - seems a bit of variety in texture and flavour can't hurt! You can get pure pumpkin puree from Tesco and Sainsbury's baking section, maybe other stores too.

Baths, hmm, Butchie doesn't get very dirty... at all hardly! Especially now it's winter :rolleyes: During our immense heat wave here in UK last summer he did sweat a lot and got a bit dirtier. Keep the baths to monthly now just for hygiene in general and blackheads etc. I bought a big storage tub and put an anti-slip mat in the bottom. I use regular human exfoliating gloves (from Boots) and a few squirts of Johnson's baby bath. It can be a 2 man job to bathe at first so that it doesn't drag on, leading to stress for all involved. As mentioned above, diet can make a difference in dirtiness levels, as well as stinky toilet and gas.

Thank you so much! She's lovely, but a complete rascal, haha!

You've actually been tons of help - I was thinking earlier that I thought I'd seen pumpkin puree in tesco and you've totally confirmed that for me now, so that's great! I'm definitely going to pick some up and see how it goes.

I'm really sorry to hear that you have such a fussy wee lad on you and hope very much that you'll find something that satisfied him. Sending warm hugs your way! Hang in there, yeah?

Haven't heard of Healthspan, though... will have a look into it! Haven't considered mixing the cat food either - I remember doing that when I had furry kitties in the past, but not since we've gotten Noodle, though that said it's mummy number 1 who tends to be who makes those choices, I'm just trying to gather more information to present to her so that we can maybe find a way to make sure Noodle is as healthy as possible and maaaaybe smell a little less haha.

You'd think they wouldn't get so sweaty in winter... but then this one craves our heat so much... and I must say I naturally get very hot during the night... and so does she - so we make quite the sweaty pair. I tend to wake up with her all stuck to my leg lmfao!

Two man job! That sounds like probably the best way to go haha. And yeah I'm hearing these exfoliating gloves are a good idea - glad to hear I can pick them up in Boots! Super close to my work hehe. Definitely going to suggest bathing her less as all round it seems like the general consensus and opinion is that less is more. We're using Johnson's already so I'm really glad to hear somebody else uses that and gets on well with it too :)

Take care and I hope you manage to sort something out for James! Will snoop around to see if he's managing to get any less fussy and cross my fingers lots! <3

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Noodle is a cutie.

My boy, Max, loves to cuddle under the blankets with me and we often sweat together and get glued together LOL. I wipe him down with thin face cloths that have been soaked in very warm water with a few drops of HyLyt shampoo. It's not a full bath, but enough to get the excess oils off him.

Enjoy your noodle!

byulbunny

Lairian
Noodle is a cutie.

My boy, Max, loves to cuddle under the blankets with me and we often sweat together and get glued together LOL. I wipe him down with thin face cloths that have been soaked in very warm water with a few drops of HyLyt shampoo. It's not a full bath, but enough to get the excess oils off him.

Enjoy your noodle!

Aah, that's too funny, it's exactly what it's like with me and Noodle hahahaha XD That's a great tip, though, thank you! I was considering baby wipes but that might work better?

Enjoy your snuggles with Max hehe <3

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Babywipes can remove too much of the oils (in my opinion). I use the babywipes for bums and paws!

Admittedly, I love my hot snuggles with Max under the blankets!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @byulbunny and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! What a cutie you have there! Great advice thus far! Please enjoy the community! :)

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi. Welcome to the lair. I've been on a pumpkin puree hunt today as my Rankle has an upset tum. We tried Asda and Tesco to no avail so I've just ordered some from Ocado. It is available from Amazon in the UK but the price is astronomical. Hope you find some easier than I did :)

Back