Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New baby or not?

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hey all

I have a small problem.... as most of you know we lost Ossi and it's been hard on us. Now Fisen is a lonely cat in our house and luckily my hubby is home during days. Now it looks like he is starting a new job and I know the situation for Fisen becomes an issue.
I've been contacted by a breeder and she has a little girl, 7 weeks old, that needs a home. We've been talking about it and it's hard to make decisions. Is it too soon? Are we ready? Is Fisen ready? We think a baby would be best because then Fisen gets to stay the queen and hopefully she takes on a little one easier than a fully grown cat. It would also be good timing, taking home a new cat when the holidays start and I get to be home for five weeks. I wish I was a cat psychologist and could talk to Fisen how she feels about it. I know the new one will never take Ossis place in our hearts, but the girl is light color with a brown nose and brown ear tips, with blue eyes.... She comes from a family that scans the cats for HCM often, and that sits well with me! (I know there are no way to be sure). Is it a good dynamic to have two girls or is it better to mix it up? I've been given the opportunity to visit. I also know that if a do visit, I'm sold...

So what do I do?

TheZu

Lairian
I think sometimes, we can overthink these things. If you're determined to make it work and patient, I think a new addition to the family is perfectly fine. If the new kitten has a bigger energy level then Fisen, you might just have to compensate with longer play sessions for her for first bit of her life.

I agree it lines up well to take on a new addition when you have vacation, that gives you plenty of time for a slow introduction if they need it. I've watched a lot of Jackson Galaxy, and read a lot here. There are lots of tricks you can do to integrate a new member, no matter the circumstances.

There's no expiry date on grieving, no rule as to when it's appropriate or not to look at adding another pet :) it's okay to say "this house is happiest with two cats". It doesn't mean you're betraying Ossi's memory at all. It means you have a lot of love to give.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I also know that if a do visit, I'm sold

Aaaaaand....is there a problem with that? LOL that's how you know when you are ready. Doesn't mean you forget Ossi. For me, I will never forget my Zuki who was my heart kitty. I had Zuki and her sister Hachi (both girls). They died within 6 months of each other. I was still heartbroken about Hachi when Zuki died. It was awful. I waited a month to be sure I was ready. Coming home to an empty place sucks. Then I got my white sphynx Sunday and a few months later I found the sealpoint sphynx Precious. Here is a pic of my Zuki and Hachi.

Attachments

• 2011-02-06 15.44.44-1.jpg
    2011-02-06 15.44.44-1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 131

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I always looked at adoption as an addition to the family not a replacement. I know all too well how devastating loss is but I know opening my heart each time has allowed a new baby to be loved and cared for beyond measure. The only new thing I would keep in mind that a kitten has amazing energy. If Fisen doesn’t want to play as much as a new kitten wants, you might be adding a second kitten a few months later lol. We added a baby for Jouët when our older boys weren’t thrilled with her and now we are adding a kitten for Myshka hoping to bring more balance and harmony to all of them and us lol.

Oh and I must admitted the excitement of expecting definitely helps heal your heart.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Zab , I truly believe they send us the one(s) to love like they knew in this world
@Condo commando , awwh I got teary eyed reading your reply - thank you for sharing your precious Zuki amd Hachi

It isn't love till you give it away they say it's meant to share
our bridge angels are always in our hearts and have their special way of guiding the way

Go with your gut ...
( to be honest I passed on the first kitty that came available after my Yoda passed )
My Yoda cat sent me the one(s) she wanted me to love in her honor ..and geez they came wIthin months of each other :)

You will know in your hearts
We are here with lots of hugs and support for whatever you decide (((hugs))

Last edited:

Toa and Ross

Staff member
While reading your post my gut feeling said...go for this girl. I think Ossi sent her on your way. So I'm glad to read you made the decision. I'm sure you and the little girl will somehow bring the hubby on board!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
While reading your post my gut feeling said...go for this girl. I think Ossi sent her on your way. So I'm glad to read you made the decision. I'm sure you and the little girl will somehow bring the hubby on board!

Aaahhh.... that's a nice thought, I will choose to believe it is so!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
180416.jpg
Cardanobesök 180416.jpg
180416_2.jpg
We made a visit to this little girl today. It was a new experience for med, meeting 5 little monkeys only 7 weeks old. The mother jumped up on my hubbys back straight away and then she lay in my lap the whole time. It was all good. I checked the line of the parents so it looks healthy from HCM too. I guess I've done my homework and now it's decision time! Safe to say I'm sold....

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh my gosh....that little girl is adorable. And such a beauty. Mommy cat already made her decision by jumoing on your hubby's back and your lap...she trusts you both as the new parents:).

Good luck with making a decision!

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Awe! It probably love at first sight. For me, part of the healing process was adopting another Sphynx. She is nothing like my previous girl so I didn't feel like she was a replacement. Yet, she brings much joy and I love her in a different way. Fisen will probably enjoy having a friend. Hugs!!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
SHE'S MINE!!!! Decision made, down payment made. Counting down to gotcha day! (I have to say I have mixed feelings about this, I'm totally in love with this little girl named Naked Curls Cardano, on the other hand I still cry daily, missing Ossi...)
Now I just need a good name for her!
Thank you all for super support, you guys are the greatest sidekicks a crazy cat lady can have!

/Zab

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
SHE'S MINE!!!! Decision made, down payment made. Counting down to gotcha day! (I have to say I have mixed feelings about this, I'm totally in love with this little girl named Naked Curls Cardano, on the other hand I still cry daily, missing Ossi...)
Now I just need a good name for her!
Thank you all for super support, you guys are the greatest sidekicks a crazy cat lady can have!

/Zab

Congratulations! She's a doll. If it helps, I am in the same position as you at the moment. I lost my boy Finn ten weeks ago and will be picking up a new baby in four weeks. Our female sphynx is lonely and needs company and we need something to be happy and excited about too. I will admit that although I'm looking forward to the new baby, I'm still very much grieving Finn's death. I'm crying while I type this in fact. It's a weird mix of emotions for sure. Just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations! She's a doll. If it helps, I am in the same position as you at the moment. I lost my boy Finn ten weeks ago and will be picking up a new baby in four weeks. Our female sphynx is lonely and needs company and we need something to be happy and excited about too. I will admit that although I'm looking forward to the new baby, I'm still very much grieving Finn's death. I'm crying while I type this in fact. It's a weird mix of emotions for sure. Just wanted you to know you're not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no! That's heartbreaking.... Yes it is hopefully a part in the process of healing. I can't think of a life without these monsters anymore, so really, there is no other choice! Good luck to you and please let me know how it goes with the new baby!
Hugs!

/Zab

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Zab woohoo! Yay!! So happy the girl is yours. Congratulations.
Being happy about your girl and being sad and mourning about Ossi can excist next to eachother. It's important to feel both emotions. Hugs!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Zab woohoo! Yay!! So happy the girl is yours. Congratulations.
Being happy about your girl and being sad and mourning about Ossi can excist next to eachother. It's important to feel both emotions. Hugs!

Who says you can't buy love...??!! ;)

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
New baby pictures, it's been a week since we visited... A long list of potential names is on the fridge, it's gonna be a good thing, ADDING to love and family!
IMG_20180423_145346.jpg
IMG_20180423_145437.jpg
IMG_20180423_145526.jpg
IMG_20180423_145620.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
And oooh what a beautiful and cute bundle of love to add to the family. Love her dark paws, brown nose and the tiny whiskers. She is purrfect!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am so happy for you. This baby is already starting to heal your hearts just by bringing smiles to your faces and fun times picking names. Just having positive thoughts entering your heart is amazing. Hope you share your short list of names with us @Zab.

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I will share names with you all, as soon as we narrowed it down a bit. My hubby thinks she should move to us first, so we can see her and get a feel for what name suits best. She had her first vaccination this week and all went well. I asked about her color and the breeder said something about dna testing? She thinks she might have some lavender or blue colors... I for one don't really understand these color things and frankly I don't care, I just want her healthy with a big personality!

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
And oooh what a beautiful and cute bundle of love to add to the family. Love her dark paws, brown nose and the tiny whiskers. She is purrfect!

I just love those hairy paws, they look so big on her. I guess it's a kitten thing. I hope she gets to keep those mittens because she is stinkin cute!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I agree as long as they are healthy, the color doesn’t matter. My first guess was seal point or mink for color, but I am not great at determining colorations.

Back