Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Boy Frank is full of boogies...running out of ideas! help

Carly JW

Lairian
Hey everyone I'm pretty new to this site. Convinced myself to get over my fear of forums and have a go.
So here goes....I have rescued a male Syphnx called Frank, He is about 3years old (vet guessing). He was in bad shape when I got him, underweight and poor dental hygiene. However after a few months he's settled in well. He so loving and cuddly, I couldn't of asked for a better cat!

Within day of having him I noticed he was congested, nose full of runny snot (light green) and sounded blocked at one side. And oh boy does he sneeze!! Off to the vets we went! That was months ago...since then he has never been or got any better. He never stops eating and always playful like it doesn't bother him.
He has been tested for Cat herpes and this was negative. Had lots of bloods test, antibiotics and steroids and nothing really helps. I think the vets have run out of ideas. They want to CT scan him costing over £4000 and the insurance will not cover it.
Could this be Chronic? could this be allergies? Could really do with some advice.
I really am trying to help him and he's never been as loved.
Kind regards Carly

Attachments

• IMG_1531.JPG
    IMG_1531.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 65

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Carly JW welcome to sphynxlair. Glad your decided to jump in. Frankie is a handsome and adorable boy. Love the pic of you two together, so much love in that pic.

Thank you fof rescuing Frankie and taking care of him so well.
Sorry to hear he's dealing with this health issues.
I'm not very experienced with sneezing sphynxs so hope others chime in to advice you.
Did you try L-lysine? I know lots of people are giving this to their sphynx.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair...no worries here. It is a supportive positive community. Did your vet do a PCR test? It is inexpensive and usually narrows down any issues quickly.

Carly JW

Lairian
@Carly JW welcome to sphynxlair. Glad your decided to jump in. Frankie is a handsome and adorable boy. Love the pic of you two together, so much love in that pic.

Thank you fof rescuing Frankie and taking care of him so well.
Sorry to hear he's dealing with this health issues.
I'm not very experienced with sneezing sphynxs so hope others chime in to advice you.
Did you try L-lysine? I know lots of people are giving this to their sphynx.

Hi Toa and Ross

Thank you for getting back to my post, Well rescuing him has been amazing for me, he's made my life so fun and he is such a sweetie.
Yeah I've read up so much about L-lysine and he is on the max daily dose. Not saying it isn't good but in Franks case it hasn't made much difference, however its good for his immune system so ill keep him on it.

Hope I can help him reduce the sneezing, even if we cant cure him xx Carly & Frank

Carly JW

Lairian
Welcome to Sphynxlair...no worries here. It is a supportive positive community. Did your vet do a PCR test? It is inexpensive and usually narrows down any issues quickly.
hi @Catzzzmeow thank you for getting back to me, I'm not 100% sure if we have had a PCR test. I will check with my vet as we are there again this week. Is this a blood test? They have done bloods but that was for cat leukaemia and cat flu I think. We have had swabs of his nose and samples of the snot. But came back and treated with antibiotics. Worried they are doing too much and he' s having too many meds.
I will read up about this test thanks....Carly and Frank x

Taylor Williams

Lairian
Hey, Carly. I also have a sphynx with some severe booger/snot issues and I have had her for over a year now. Unfortunately, we have tried everything and been to the vet a couple of times and not much helps. At this point we have just learned to accept the snot and boogers. Our girl does not seem sick and eats normally. I've decided she just has really bad allergies.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sneezing could be allergies or an upper respiratory infection, but if they tested him and didn't find anything it's probably allergies. Has he lost weight or is there anything besides the sneezing?

Back