Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Cat Carrier

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So, I have a foldable cat carrier that is humongously huge -- but frankly, it's not the sturdiest beast around.
I didn't fancy driving 1k miles with 3 cats, where I have to worry they take the carrier apart.
I was planning to put Pixie in one, and the other two in the other (solid) one.
But the big carrier is a pain in the whatsit, because it's really hard to secure in the car, due to the size. Now, Pixie travels very well just in a basket and a safety belt, but I just rather not risk such a long drive that way (or only part of the time).
Anyway.
Zooplus in Germany came along with a foldable, solid side, cat carrier that was VERY reasonable. (€19.99 atm)

This is how it arrived. That's what it packs down to.

That's what's inside.

The top and bottom part zip onto the middle, self contained, part.

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-29 at 1.55.10 PM.jpeg

Livvy had to check it out immediately (well, after Pixie checked it out)
I've taken the front door off for now so they can explore it unhindered.

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-29 at 1.58.53 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-29 at 2.13.39 PM.jpeg

Livvy has basically moved in.

I really like this carrier. It's sturdy but light, plenty of room for a Sphynx, who can stand up in it, and as an added benefit, I discovered the fleece basket pad I knitted fits perfectly into the bottom of it. :)
It doesn't smell of plastic, either.
It should easily fit onto a car seat. And you can access it either from the front, or unzip the top. The sides stay up nicely even with the top completely unzipped.

Inside measurements are L 40 (16") x W 30 (12") x ca. H 25 cm (10")
Outside measurements are L 42 (17") x W 32 (13") x H 30 cm (12")
Folded: 17" x 13" x 4.3" (11cm)

IMG_6185_sm.jpg

Pixie has also decided she kinda likes it.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.
The first test will be on the 5th April, when everyone has to go for vaccinations.
Will report back how it holds up. :)

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
P.S. I'm getting 2 more of them. They will be perfect hidey holes and sleep spots, and shade spots in a catio -- and they cost €10 more in France. (Germany has a discount on them atm.)

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-29 at 4.46.35 PM.jpeg

Pixie testing durability. She weighs about 10lbs (4.5kg) so she's no lightweight. And the box isn't dipping or bending or collapsing.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
That carrier looks very good and solid. Pixie is the best tester there is. And Livvy a great inspector!

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Looks nice .We are moving our deadly duo about 1500 miles, and we will have car beds for them, but they are also pretty free to roam. They usually sleep in the beds or strollers if we have them in the car .
Good luck on your move.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Looks nice .We are moving our deadly duo about 1500 miles, and we will have car beds for them, but they are also pretty free to roam. They usually sleep in the beds or strollers if we have them in the car .
Good luck on your move.
That's a hella move as well. If it weren't just me in the car, I could do that too, but since I'm on my own, I'd rather not take the risk. :)

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That looks great. But the true test is yet to come - can they open it on their own? I had to get a new carrier because my troublemakers figured out how to open the old one. It had a velcro flap that they could push with their head and poke their head through. Then they would stick their bodies out which would push back on the zipper. It got to where they could get out of it before I could even make it from my door to the car.

And Silke you are doing the right thing by putting them in the carrier. I have one that likes to get on the floor and she's gone behind the pedals before. If I had to hit the brake, I would've squished her.
'

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I make mine ride in a carrier, too. She always wants to crawl under the seats or the passenger dash. I can’t be havin’ none o’ that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Looks like they like it.