Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New clothing idea

Inferno12

Banned
I have told you guys what I do for a living and for those of you that dont know, here is a little background.

I am a fire prevention technician and my job is to prevent wildfires. I work a lot with Smokey Bear (hopefully you guys know who that is!) Amongst many other things, I create products that get our fire prevention message out to the public.

I was approached today about getting some animal clothing made with Smokey Bear on it and I am thinking "scratch out wildfires" along with Smokeys face. Since I show off my cat all the time they came to me and asked me to look into it.

Would you guys buy these? Would you have your beautiful kitties send out a messsage to help prevent wildfires?

Remember.....only you can prevent wildfires :Wink:

Inferno12

Banned
I emailed a clothing company to see what they thought about the idea! I hope this is something we can get done :ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Being English I'm unfortunately a little ignorant as to who smokey bear is BUT anything that helps spread a good message is fine by me! I'd order one!

X

Last edited:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Smokey the bear is right up there with Scruff McGruff the crime dog ;) I would totally wear a shirt1 Especially since i'm in an erea where wild fires/forest fires are pretty common. A couple years ago we had a huge fire in camden county that they couldn't out out for alomost two weeks, I have some wicked awesome pictures of it. If I can find them I will post some.

Inferno12

Banned
Smokey the bear is right up there with Scruff McGruff the crime dog ;) I would totally wear a shirt1 Especially since i'm in an erea where wild fires/forest fires are pretty common. A couple years ago we had a huge fire in camden county that they couldn't out out for alomost two weeks, I have some wicked awesome pictures of it. If I can find them I will post some.

Would love to see the pictures if you can find them!

For those of you who dont know who smokey is.....
SmokeyBear.com - Get Your Smokey On - Only You Can Prevent Wildfires

The story,
65 years ago there was a bear cub that was found at the top of a burned tree. Firefighters found him and got him down and his paws were burned. They took him to a vet and the vet nursed him back to health. They named him Smokey Bear so that they could use him in fire prevention messages. He is one of the most recognized symbols in America. He ended up living in a zoo in Washington DC!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Here they are: 2007 Forest fire in Camden County, GA We lived with an ash snowfall for about a week, everything was covered.

fire20.jpg

fire19.jpg

fire18.jpg

fire17.jpg

fire16.jpg

fire15.jpg

fire13.jpg

fire12.jpg

fire11.jpg

fire10.jpg

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Inferno-- I'd get one definitely -- my Dad spent 20 odd years in the forest service. Apparently working his way from a hotshot to crew chief to logistics -- I just remember when every he came back from fires that I loved the smoke smell he brought with him.

I also remember several 'unofficial' smoky posters --

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Wow those pictures are insane. Thank you for sharing. You see that stuff on the news but never really get the picture that was so close to everything.

Inferno12

Banned
Inferno-- I'd get one definitely -- my Dad spent 20 odd years in the forest service. Apparently working his way from a hotshot to crew chief to logistics -- I just remember when every he came back from fires that I loved the smoke smell he brought with him.

I also remember several 'unofficial' smoky posters --

Ha Ha...there are so many unofficial posters out there. I have a pretty cool unofficial Smokey snowboard that I bought on ebay :Surprise: Where did your dad work?

nbolin...those are some amazing pictures. We sent one of our engines out there when you were having those fires. I know its sad but thats what I live for! lol....It looks so similar to pictures I took when I was in Florida in 1998. That was a crazy year. It can get pretty scary sometimes but I would NEVER go into a burning building......now that's just nuts! :Hysterical:

Gadzukz......The name....yes that is the reason for my name but its also the name of one of my first orange cats. My mother still has him! I got him the first season that I started fighting fires and I just felt that the name fit because he was orange :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Woah! Those pics are super scary!! It's my boyfriends ambition to be in te fire service, unfortunately although he passed all the enterance procedures last time 2 years ago his maths score was lower than another guys so he didn't get in :Cry: Essex (where we live) said at the time they would not be receuiting for 3 years so fingers crossed for next year...

X

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ha Ha...there are so many unofficial posters out there. I have a pretty cool unofficial Smokey snowboard that I bought on ebay :Surprise: Where did your dad work?

He was with the Chino Valley ranger district, working (outside of fire season) on the Prescott national forest in AZ

During fire season, of course, all over the country.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You wouldn't have trouble selling anything like that here. Unfortunately I wouldn't be in the market but just about everyone else would be. I had an idea to sell some sphynx lair gear for our hairless friends but that fell through and I received lots of interest. Just be aware a small donation to sphynx lair might be necessary but something tells me you have donated before so maybe not. I think it's a good idea and I think you should definitely consider it.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

OH yeah i remember that.

In 98 florida had all those wild fires (cold cold wet winter, dry windy summer) and my giant office was filled w smoke on more than one occasion!

susi794

Staff member
If they came in human and cat sizes both, so we could wear one at the same time our cats were wearing them, wouldn't that be fun? Matching shirts with a message--love it. Just make sure the cat's ones are small enough and the human ones are big enough! Then I'd buy 'em!

Back