Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New family member arriving today

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just had to share because I'm so excited - we have a new family member arriving today. I'm going to pick her up from the shelter at 2pm. Really hoping she copes well with the 2 hour journey home and gets on with the other animals. She's met Bear a couple of times and has been great with him but I'm a bit worried about the cats. Fingers crossed introductions go well. We've been cross-scenting with blankets for the last week so they should recognise her smell. Photo attached because she's beautiful.
IMG_20220830_142346.jpg

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations! What a lucky pup to have found their forever family. I hope the introductions go smoothly and look forward to seeing updates. She is beautiful.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots ,(((hugs)))) and happiest gotcha day to this sweetie.. bless your heart for opening your hearts and home to her. she struck gold in your hearts and home. dobie? she has the sweetest face! so glad she and Bear hit it off great! I have done long rides with rescues and mostly they slept all the way home. safe miles and smiles.

I have had rotties and kitties together for over 40 yrs, and my aussies the past 6 years. I can offer tips . I do very sloooow introductions. I always have pups leashed to me in the house while doing chores , hanging out. I have even used a 54" crate set up in main room with pup so kitties can sniff. do lots of praise treats and leave it commands. has worked well over the years.

look forward to updates! hugs n head smooches to all paws!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, the last couple of days have been pretty hectic. I picked River up on Monday afternoon and after a very long journey home we took her straight out for a walk with Bear. Typically hubby didn't listen to the time I'd be home so instead of meeting them away from the house after Bear had let off some steam we met them on the driveway so there was some barking and squabbling. Finally he calmed down and the walk and return home was calm. We let her explore the downstairs on a lead whilst the cats watched from behind the stair gate at the top. Within 5 minutes of her being in the house Rankle had marched up to her and introduced himself (with her lead being held very firmly just in case). She was perfect and as soon as Rankle said it was OK the other two allowed her to sniff them. They're now all free-roaming together under supervision but she's showing no interest in them.

That evening we noticed bloody mucus coming out of her bits, which is concerning because she was spayed last month. She also had a seizure so it was off to the vet first thing yesterday morning. They couldn't find anything obvious wrong and think the seizure may have been due to stress. We need to monitor both issues and take her back if either reoccur.

We had to go out for the day to see family (arranged a long time before gotcha day was organised) and didn't feel right leaving her home alone so we took her and Bear along. We all had a lovely day and the pups had special dog sausage and ice cream whilst we ate lunch.

The only problem we're having with River is that she's food obsessed and is a counter surfer. We'll be working on that but it's going to be difficult because she's very stubborn.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for smoother introductions, she's very sweet and is starting to trust us. Here's hoping for many happy years together.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Beckinboots ,(((hugs)))) and happiest gotcha day to this sweetie.. bless your heart for opening your hearts and home to her. she struck gold in your hearts and home. dobie? she has the sweetest face! so glad she and Bear hit it off great! I have done long rides with rescues and mostly they slept all the way home. safe miles and smiles.

I have had rotties and kitties together for over 40 yrs, and my aussies the past 6 years. I can offer tips . I do very sloooow introductions. I always have pups leashed to me in the house while doing chores , hanging out. I have even used a 54" crate set up in main room with pup so kitties can sniff. do lots of praise treats and leave it commands. has worked well over the years.

look forward to updates! hugs n head smooches to all paws!
Yes, she's a dobie. Thanks for the offer of advice. Will give you a shout if we need any help :giggle:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I am happy to see things are going well and not interested in the cats…woot woot! Hoping that the seizure was due to stress…but man you must have been stressing g big time. Do you think a slow feeder bowl or puzzle toy feeder might help a bit to not obsess and eat too fast? Will also help get that energy dispersed more. What a lucky pup…I look forward to hearing the updates on this baby.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , hugs n happy beautiful River gotcha. its a big new world and she is doing exceptional.

I am sorry about the seizure... have you contacted the shelter to see if it is in her medical history or reason for being at the shelter? (sharing because my Sam rottie was epileptic, idiopathic epilepsy, well controlled for over 5 yrs with phenobarbital with 3 in 5 yrs . (the last one was definitely stress related when his brother bubba bear got angel wings).
. some more info if you like and an amazing seizure pup group just for info in their files worth it.

healing vibes for her bits.

so happy River and the kitties doing great!
great job on the training, I adopted a counter surfer rottie Duke years ago. omg he stole and ate the whole rotisserie chicken~ could have died... the only thing Ieft was the string). I did as you. lots of training. I did the stern Leave it/ or off command" redirected. as he settled in to his new home , he became more relaxed and less food surfered and settled in the routine. really never an issue again.

hugs n head smooches to all paws! following for updates

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots ,sidenote, sharing when sam had seizure coming on (he would air fly snap, pace, whiney). I would immediately get an ice pack and put on lower back and ocular compression as I contacted and was enroute to vet. I also kept an open style baskerville muzzle on hand that they can breath thru when neigh helped me pick him up to get him in vehicle . the ice packs and ocular compression really helped several times from full on seizure. there are protocols from vet when they need or should start meds. hopeful an isolated incident.
gurney ice pack technique.jpg

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom thanks for all the info, it's really helpful to have that just in case it happens again. Really hoping it was just stress from the long journey and changes but never hurts to be prepared.

I'm really sorry but I had a little laugh about the rotisserie chicken. Reminded me of a childhood cat and dog who went into cahoots to steal the leftover chicken from the Sunday roast. Cat was very clever and worked out how to open the fridge to get to the chicken so my dad put a dining chair in front of the fridge which was too heavy for the cat to move. Enter dog, stage left, who pushed the chair out of the way so the cat could break and enter and they then shared the spoils. Still makes me crack up to this day!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am happy to see things are going well and not interested in the cats…woot woot! Hoping that the seizure was due to stress…but man you must have been stressing g big time. Do you think a slow feeder bowl or puzzle toy feeder might help a bit to not obsess and eat too fast? Will also help get that energy dispersed more. What a lucky pup…I look forward to hearing the updates on this baby.
We were told her midday meal was given in a puzzle toy so I think we'll have to use one of those at least once a day. I think once she realises she's getting regular meals she'll settle down.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Beckinboots , hugs n happy beautiful River gotcha. its a big new world and she is doing exceptional.

I am sorry about the seizure... have you contacted the shelter to see if it is in her medical history or reason for being at the shelter? (sharing because my Sam rottie was epileptic, idiopathic epilepsy, well controlled for over 5 yrs with phenobarbital with 3 in 5 yrs . (the last one was definitely stress related when his brother bubba bear got angel wings).
. some more info if you like and an amazing seizure pup group just for info in their files worth it.

healing vibes for her bits.

so happy River and the kitties doing great!
great job on the training, I adopted a counter surfer rottie Duke years ago. omg he stole and ate the whole rotisserie chicken~ could have died... the only thing Ieft was the string). I did as you. lots of training. I did the stern Leave it/ or off command" redirected. as he settled in to his new home , he became more relaxed and less food surfered and settled in the routine. really never an issue again.

hugs n head smooches to all paws! following for updates
Seizures weren't in her medical history but she was only at the shelter for a couple of months and they might have missed it. We had a post-adoption call today so I mentioned it and they're going to get the vet to call me. I'll speak to them about her cough too. Hoping that's just a mild URI from her new environment.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , oh good, glad the vet will talk with the vet. I would also ask if any chance of it being kennel cough? keep an eye out on Bear if he starts any coughing? just to be safe. hopeful just a mild stress URI. I take videos and share with my vet.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , just an fyi from my experience to be aware of .. some signs in epi pups can coughing.. Sam would act off and start carpet licking, acting anxious.

keep us updated hugs n head smooches.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , oh my heart, precious... she knows she is so loved and Home... she is settling in quickly! what a sweet heart! hugs n head smooches, smiling ear to ear seeing her in her pawfect forever home filled with soo much love.

lol my kitties ruled the rotties.. you can see in my avatar pic, baby yoda girl sitting right in the middle of the dog bed, pups would have the corner to rest their heads.

Ii am soo happy for you and gorgeous River.

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well, I guess she couldn't be perfect. Turns out she's not house trained (not surprising really, considering her history) so we need to teach her. Haven't had to do this before so it's going to be interesting.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , awh.. she will catch on quickly now that she is getting settled.

I have used a 54" crate when I was home (no collars on), told lets go potty, take out on a leash, give potty command of your choice :), pocket of treats, big happy praise and treat . rather quickly no crate, leash or treats needed.

if caught having an accident, I didnt scold, immediately leashed and out the door potty command.
then cleaned area with enzyme cleaner.

has worked with all my pups /adoptees over the years.

you got this!

Beckinboots

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We've had a couple of setbacks but we're working through them. Just got up to the first dry night she's had. Having to walk the pups separately for now as there was an incident at the start of the walk on Wednesday. Doesn't help that the husband has put his back out so I've gone from one walk a day with Bear (I do mornings, he does evenings) to four walks a day.

We'll get there.
@Beckinboots , checking in on Team River. hugs n head smooches

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Beckinboots , healing vibes to your husband.. (ugh.. I have had 4 back surgeries, I know its a pain like no other... ).

Years ago I always walked my rotties together..

with my aussies, (boo is more reserved scaredy cat , not sure what happened to him in his past).. I walk Boo and Gunnar separately. I like too I can work with building his confidence , one on one time.. I take Gunnar first. Boo seems to pick up Gunnars scent and walks exact same place, even when I tell command to "cross up" to the next sidewalk

. I get it... I walk numerous laps a day am/pm... lol my neighs count my laps and cheer me on .. I walk really. fast with them and it is quite the work out... ( good for me since I cant run anymore)

hugs n head smooches, definite progress on the dry night, you got this.. hugs n head smooches to all paws~

Back