Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New family members join the crew

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
New family members *pics 7*

Today we got two Flemish Giant rabbit girls. My son named them salt and pepper. I assume you can guess what colors they are. Pics coming tomorrow. They are super sweet. I am going to re-sex them tomorrow too as I am not confident in the person who I got them from. They were free. They were in a cage with 6 or so other rabbits and they all had been attacking each other and have some missing fur. I almost took all 5 babies. I even went back because I was feeling guilty about their living conditions but they had found homes for all of them really quickly. They were in the same cage as both their parents. The father rabbit was HUGE! They are 10 weeks old. I am surprised how sweet they are. They let my son carry them all over. They are in an outside hutch right now because I am really leary about Jack attacking them, so I am going to wait until they are about the same size as him before making them house bunnies. I have a lot of fattening up to do, they are skin and bones! They are in my grammas back yard in a large custom built hutch. I have been wanting a Flemish forever and I saw the craigslist ad today I about died because I had been planning on getting on the end of the month for 50 bucks and I would of had to drive 2 hours to get it. These were in my town for free! I already had everything for them since I was already prepared for the other but I am glad I "rescued" these ones instead. My gramma has a huge yard with a tall fence so I am not worried about stray cats getting at them. Plus they have a dog guarding them.

Last edited:

Shauntay

Banned
I love flemmies!! I love giant rabbits period! I have an 18lbs English lop Buck. Amazing rabbits. I got him when he was about 5 lbs, none of my cats viewed him as prey. These rabbits are known for their bravery and since thhey dont act like prey, they arent seen as prey. My dane is actually afraid of the rabbit! And one of my cats has tried to eat my pythons, my hamster, my rats and has succesfully eaten my beta fish Bob :( so if anyone was a hunter in my house it would be him, but he just chills on the bed with Monkey, and treats him like he does the other cats! have you ever had a flemmy before? They are very easily litter trained aswell. M only complaint is Monkey chews the hell out of wires. I tried bitter apple spray on wires but that only seemed to entice him. So my frame of mind is "rabbits wil be rabbits, and chew your wires, and cats will be cats and destroy your couches" :p

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I may bring them over tomorrow and see how it goes. They may not be pure I am not sure the mother was large but not as large as I thought a flemish should be, the father was a flemish no doubt in my mind. They are not very big right now you can see their backbones. I am just worried because Jack is MEAN to the other cats and loves to attack them and these babies are a little frail.

Edit: I have had one large rabbit before. He was supposed to be a Rex but he was about 25-30lbs. I have had rex rabbits and holland lops. Its been years since I have had a rabbit.

Bella07

Banned
I know nothing about Rabbits, but Congratulations! Can't wait to see pictures of Salt and Pepper--I bet they are really cute!

Congrats! Flemmish Giants are wonderful rabbits! I just adore them! When I lived in Oklahoma CIty I used to work with a rabbit rescue there. Flemmish, Californians and Rex were always my faves!

My 9 year old New Zealand White just went to the Bridge a few months ago. I had had him since he was about a year old. He passed in his sleep. He was an old man. Wonderful bunny though. He was a house bunny. He was Gable's buddy. When he died, Gable kept going over to where his cage was kept and mewing looking for his bunny friend. :Cry::Cry:

susi794

Staff member
:Surprise:Lord, Girl! I thought you were going nuts with the animals you already had! But everytime I turn around, you're adding to the menagerie!
Silly girl...that's not the way to cut down on the chaos!!.:LOL:

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a soft spot and seems I always get the sickly/unhealthy ones LOL. One of the bunnies has some blood and yellow crusts in the ears so she goes to the vet with Juno on Monday.

Here are the pictures, I forgot my camera so these are cell phone pictures.

Attachments

• IMG00324.jpg
    IMG00324.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG00326.jpg
    IMG00326.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG00327.jpg
    IMG00327.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG00329.jpg
    IMG00329.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG00330.jpg
    IMG00330.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG00331.jpg
    IMG00331.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG00328.jpg
    IMG00328.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 20

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
:Surprise:Lord, Girl! I thought you were going nuts with the animals you already had! But everytime I turn around, you're adding to the menagerie!
Silly girl...that's not the way to cut down on the chaos!!.:LOL:

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one thinking that! I wonder if the kitties will try to murder the rabbits?

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
We had a Flemmish before, but I was allergic to him- so I sent him to a home with another big neutered bunny. He was a good boy.

That being said, I'm not allergic to smaller bunnies, so I don't know what that was about, BUT our SVs like bunnies... And I mean- they LIKE bunnies. So no more bunnies here. :(

Congrats on the cute new crew!

Bella07

Banned
Hey, I feel like I have a zoo at my city house. So much work all the time, so much money, and they all make such a mess. But, in my mind, I'm always like, I'm already dealing with all this craziness, so, what's one more?? Probably not the best way to think, as all of my friends think I'm crazy :Wink::LOL:

Salt and Pepper are adorable! Congrats again!

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I knew a guy who raised cornish rex for python owners. it was kinda weird. I know they have to eat but ehh. I had roommates with 3 regular bunnies and I am SO allergic! its like my nose just clamps shut and my eyes puffy way up. its sad cause they are so cute and soft

susi794

Staff member
I have to work hard at controlling myself--or there wouldn't be room enough or food enough or money enough to house all the animals I'd be draggjn in here. So, I understand how easy it is to fall in love with them ALL.

Melonie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
He said it was really common and gave me some medicine for them so it should clear up right away! It does suck but I am glad they are getting the vet care they need. He also said they were about 2-3 lbs underweight. And their hair should grow back.

Back