new *hairy* kitten... | Sphynxlair

new *hairy* kitten...

Discussion in 'Non Sphynx Pet Questions' started by streakin, Sep 19, 2009.

1. streakin

streakinLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +3
    So, a new kitten will be coming home next week....and this one has hair! Xerxes has been my only baby up until now so I'm not quite sure what his reaction will be when I bring home this little furball. I really would love for them to get along, and I plan to keep the new one separated for a while (until all the vaccinations and such are done) but I was wondering if you all had any tips for me on bringing in a new cat...do you think it matters that this one has fur? I don't want Xerxes to freak out, after all, it's always been "all about me, all the time" with him. Any tips are appreciated and I'm attaching a pic of the new baby (she is a rescue from an abandoned litter that my friend had found. I am naming her Pandora)

Attached Files:

2. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.02
    Ratings:
    +55
    Oh my gosh she is soooooo cute and black!! I love black cats and always wanted one with blue eyes. Your very lucky those are hard to find. Most have yellow eyes like my bubby did. As far as intergrating them I can't really give any advice sorry :ThumbsDown: When I brought Midnight home to Tigger she just took Midnight with her. Totally adopted him as her baby, but sphynx's are so different and seeing how all of the other animals seem to kick tigger out I'm not good about teaching someone how to make a happy home with peaceful animals :Laugh: I think Xerxes will be great with her since she will be so small. He's gonna be a great dad or big brother.

3. sydkat7

sydkat7V.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $476.00
    Ratings:
    +658
    streakin, your new kitten is SO cute! And I love the name "Pandora", too...very fitting for a black cat! :ThumbsUp:

As for introducing your new cat to your sphynx, I wouldn't worry too much about your two cats getting along. I had the same issue with my cats: having to bring home a new sphynx to two geriatric and snooty Siamese cats (both with fur) who were used to having me to themselves for over a decade. What I did when I brought Piglet home was to put her in my spare bedroom away from the other two cats for the first couple of days until she became acclimated to her new home. Then I would allow the other two cats to come into the room for short periods of time (supervised by me, of course) so that they can check out Piglet and get used to her being around. Then, as they were getting more used to her, I'd allow Piglet free reign of the house but kept an eye on her when she was around the other two cats. There was some hissing and growling at first between the cats, but Piglet held her own (she gave back everything the Siamese dished out to her!) so after about a week, they were all friends and able to hang out with each other with no fighting.

My guess is that both your sphynx Xerxes and your new kitten are young, so they'll be more quick to accept each other. If my two crochety old Siamese can accept Piglet after only a week, I'm sure your kitties will have no problems! :Smile:

4. Mews2much

Mews2muchV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $132.00
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    She is cute and it does not matter if one is bald and one has hair.
    I just got my 2nd sphynx a few days ago and she is friends with my Russian blue mix already.
    In fact all my cats are ok with her except my other sphynx and Meeko.
    Cleo my sphynx hisses,growls and screams at her.
    Meeko only hisses if she tries to play.
    Your cats will get along.
    Let them sniff each other at first.

5. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $268,628.94
    Ratings:
    +17,219
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
  6. streakin

streakinLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $292.00
    Ratings:
    +3
    thank you all so much for the input! I was first planning on keeping her in my bedroom but seeing as that's his domain he wouldn't like that. I do have two other bedrooms but they are my kids' so I hadn't really thought of putting her in there but I think I will try that. (I originally thought of the bathroom becuase she's so young and making sure she's fully litterbox trained) I also will *try* to go slow with the introductions. To admin, I am definately bookmarking that link/thread!

Thanks guys I'll let you know how it all turns out, hopefully they will be BFFs in no time (......yeah right!)

7. Brooke

BrookeBanned

Sphynx Bucks:
    $39.00
    Ratings:
    +440
    Streakin, congratulations! She's adorable! I love black cats, too...

I think it'll be pretty easy integrating them since Pandora is a kitten and I bet Xerxes will love to snuggle up to her warm fur! :Laugh:

8. CoolSphynx

CoolSphynxLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $368.00
    Ratings:
    +28
    Lots of good advice already, so I just wanted to say that once Xerces realizes how warm and soft a furcat is, I bet he'll be trying to cuddle Pandora in no time :Wink:

9. Hairlesslove

HairlessloveSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $281.00
    Ratings:
    +108
    Pandora is adorable (Loooove Black cats)!-I am sure it will be easier since they are both kittens!...:ThumbsUp: Good Luck!

10. kerrie78

kerrie78Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $469.00
    Ratings:
    +87
    When we brought Newmie home of course he was nervous & Kramer just wanted to jump on him... we let them work it out & establish their rank with each other & in 2 days it stopped; now they are inseparable!

11. Moonstone

MoonstoneLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $377.00
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm sure it will be ok because she is so small...adults are nice with kitten.

She is so cute !
    congrats!

12. harley

harleySenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $388.00
    Ratings:
    +64
    :BigSmile:What beauty.. Can't help with getting them to get along...I am working on that one today when my new babies arrive...But as far as the fur...Harley(sphynx) loves Sambo(Bobcat/Housecat, Furry) to sunngle with and play with. I think its funny when Harley tries to Groom Sambo and gets fur on his tounge, he has a fit...

13. Gullivers Keeper

Gullivers KeeperSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $378.00
    Ratings:
    +450
    [​IMG]

it took about a month for them to all get along, but a lot of patience and love and they all get along pretty well!!! Gulliver has some battle wounds from being a bit obnoxious around the big ones :BigSmile: but they try to be nice as much as possible...

I think he gets babied so much because you can see the scratches... I'm sure the other two are full of them!!!