Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New here and to sphynx foster/ownership

JenFl

Lairian
hi, I am Jen, I run a grooming shop and am being brought a 8 yr old sphynx girl on Monday. She is not very well taken care of, the first time I seen her a couple months ago it was late and we (another groomer and I) were closing up.........In walked a lady asking questions and telling a story of a neighbors cat that had got out and had been missing for a few weeks, and now that it showed back up they needed to "get it cleaned" before they could bring it in their house. At this point I had no idea what kind of cat it was. So I told her sure go get her and we will take care of her.....in she walks with this towel in a ball....inside was this poor old lady sphynx. The poor thing was covered in dirt and her ears were full of yuck and her eyes...one droopy, both irritated, her nails had buildup where they met the toes. She was very pitiful. I was amazed that someone could let any cat, but especially one as special as a sphynx get in this condition or even let her outside. I questioned these things, the neighbor said "she just lets her outside and she's always running away!" I mean does this lady not have a clue or what. So we cleaned this baby up, who they didn't even know the name of, and I told her if the owner doesn't want her then bring her back to me.
Well now today, the owner shows up at the shop and says "my neighbor brought my cat in a couple months ago and said someone here wanted the cat." I knew immediately who she was, she then says she wants rid of the cat because the neighbors cat attacked her. So I told her yes I will take her, now instead of going and getting her right then, she leaves her number and tells me to call her that evening. This lady has not taken proper care of this baby from all I have researched and read. She doesn't even bath her monthly, so much for weekly! When I asked what her name was I was told "oh cats don't learn their names, I just call her cat." WTH?!?! People suck!!!
So I have now talked to my husband and called her and we will be meeting Monday so I can bring this baby home with me.
Now for the title......I would love nothing more than to keep this baby and for everything to go well in my home as my children and myself have always had a place in our hearts and a want for a sphynx cat. My girls were estatic when I told them we were going to pick her up. But I have no idea if she is sick, or if anything is wrong with her, I do know she isn't spayed. In our home already is a 9 mo. Neutered Bengal cat name Chauncey, 4 yr old 90# American Bulldog named Esme and a 4# Maltese name Babydoll......so the biggest challenge is everyone welcoming this new baby. I plan to seperate the new kitty for as long as I need to, I think the dogs will be ok, the Bengal on the other hand I'm not sure of. I also cat stand a litter box, we have one, but the bengal goes inside and outside. And this baby won't see outdoors anymore with the exception of through the sliding glass door!
I have purchased d'grease and l-lysine treats already just from reading on this forum. Please let me know what else I need to get. Any info would be wonderful. I have decided to give this baby the name Stella. If anyone knows of a potential adopter located in Florida, I would like to be in touch, I have no plans of letting her go anywhere until I have vetted her and made sure she is ok and back in good health.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Wow. What a story. And yes, people suck. Sigh.

Bless you for taking Stella in. She will no doubt blossom under your care.

Be prepared for soft poops until she transitions in your house and chosen diet. A vet check will be imperative. Lots of blankets. A cave bed might be nice for her to retreat into.

Please keep us updated.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
See my post in your other thread! Welcome and again: so glad you're going to rescue cat

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Wow, that's a sad story. I am so glad that Stella has you to come to her rescue. I hope the transition isn't too stressful. Good luck! You obviously have a big heart :)

Jocy24

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cats don't learn their names...well that's just bologna! All four of mine will at least look at me when I call them even if they don't deign to come over. They even respond to their nick names...Buffy-wuffy, meow-meow, Ozzie-wozz and sweet D.

As for preparations...mine love their heating pads!

JenFl

Lairian
What kind of heating pads? I have regular heating pads, will that work? Also food? My cat eats cat chow complete, she is suppose to send what food she has but who knows what that is......I did read they needed more protein in their diet.

InariSan

Lairian
I give my sphynx science diet mature adult. She is very picky, but likes that food. I suggest lots of blankets and a high place to climb into to get away if she's overwhelmed. My sphynx keeps my 70lb dog in line, so I hope your new addition will fit right in.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Geezzzz...shaking my head. Due to the fact this baby in need of love and care has been exposed to who knows what, it is important to get it to a vet ASAP and quarantine until all tests come back. Be sure to ask this woman if she can get a fresh poop sample and give to you at delivery time and if you can stop at vet on the way home, it is ideal. Since you already saw there is an eye issue you don't know if it is a URI, herpes etc. but no doubt something will be prescribed. Just for the heck of it ask for vaccination records.

It will be very important to wash your hands etc and not transfer anything between this new baby and other pets. Bless you for taking in this baby and giving them a chance to feel warm and loved. Take it one day at a time.

You will find a bunch of soft cozy blankets are fine....one out of the dryer is heaven! I will be looking for updates...give her a very special name...she deserves it. @JenFl

Patti

JenFl

Lairian
I plan to run buy the vet and have a fecal done, her eyes were not runny just had like dirt around them, the one eye is permanently damaged I believe. I don't have a lot of money right now to get her to the vet for extensive testing, I will stop by the vet for a fecal before coming home Monday and after bathing her and checking her over as soon as I get her at the shop. I will ask for Any vet paperwork that woman has but I doubt she has anything really. And I will call whatever vet she says she took her to.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Ask for everything and expect nothing. Don't get your hopes up about the vet. Most will not disclose info unless previous owner allows them to. What a lucky little girlie to have you looking out for her.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
What sounds funny to me, is, if, she wants rid, of her, why, wait until
Monday?
This baby defiantly, needs a wonderful family. That has the love
this baby deserves.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello @JenFl and welcome to Sphynxlair! Great info thus far given to you. Also, what a strange tale! I would almost question if any of the parties, the neighbor and "owner" are really the parties their claiming? I just hope the cat was not lost and found by these people or even worse stolen, it wouldn't be the first time I have seen something like that, as I said, what a strange story. I would ask for any documentation, even vet bills to show proof of ownership. Wish you luck with her! Please enjoy the community! :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
@JenFl , thank you for your big heart and opening your heart and home to Stella -
Great advice given-

***I would also add to ask the vet to scan her thoroughly for a microchip -
The microchips can migrate so I always check shoulders , down legs and backs, sides-

If you are able to get info from the other vet - of if they won't disclose - I would kindly ask if there was at least anything in her charts that would be contagious-
Who knows the real truth with this girl- some folks take other cats to vets swapping names etc-
Starting from square 1 for a baseline at your vet sounds good- I know when I adopted I had the girl take the cat in for a vet visit before I adopted - she took kitty to Banfield using a free first visit coupon she got on line here in Florida-

Looking forward to positive updates and pics! Bless your heart - she needs love and care -
I am in Florida too and will spread the world too if you are going to foster and looking for a forever home for Stella

Keep us updated on Stella's journey

I feed dr Tim's Chase kibble from chewy.com along with Dr elseys unscented litter blue bag from there too

I don't use heating pads bcz I am afraid to leave unattended- saw the space heater fry so no plug in stuff here -

I bought the 50x60 throw blankets at Ross store for about $10 and they wrap all up in those nice and snuggly-

A high cat tree ( free shipping at chewy too) and quarantined to own bedroom with food and litter box and blankets till you get the all clear and settles in -

I quarantine for at least ten days which also gives lots of 1 on 1 time to transition-
with slow supervised leashed dog introductions with treats would be my suggestion- I built up to usjng a baby gate cable tied to stay open and then put tall/ sideways in the door way for introductions - while I stood there with treats :) or they will knock it over
All at their own comfort level-

Last edited:

JenFl

Lairian
I have wondered about why waiting till Monday as well, but hopefully it all comes together. I will have my vet scan for a chip as well. I think I can find out information I need from the vets in the area without a problem, I'm on the phone with them every day for work getting shot history's on clients. I have called my vet and they will see her Monday morning and work with me on cost. So she will get all the care she needs Monday.

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You are doing an amazing thing!
You've received a ton of great advise already so I'll leave it some of our pros.

But bless your heart for taking her in and giving her a chance at a loving safe environment!

JenFl

Lairian
So Stella did some "meetings" with the other pets today, things went well for the most part. I have done some feeding under the door between both cats. I stayed in "Stella's room" with her and my daughter was on the other side of the door and I feed treats to both cats at the crack under the door. No hissing, nothing....then cracked the door and let them see each other, no hissing, nothing.... That was Saturday.... So today I put Chauncey, the Bengal mix on the porch, the dogs were out in the house (they are pretty laid back). She came out and investigated, didn't mind Babydoll, my Maltese at all, the bulldog, Esme, I think the size just intimidates her, no hissing. So then I let Chauncey in and gave them each treats at a distance, all was well they went their own ways. All was well until Stella went to sleep on my daughters bed and Chauncey jumped up at the end away from her to get in his bed, it sits on the end of the oldest daughters bed....Stella ran over to him and jump on him biting him, my daughter picked her up off of him, he ran to my room and hid from her. She laid down and went back to sleep. She slept for a while with me so I knew where she was......when she got up again she ran after Chauncey but my daughter said her name and deterred her. I have put her back in "her" room and will give it another go in a at or two. I really hope they can get along!

Here are some pics from today...

Here is Babydoll and Stella, Stella likes her best.
image.jpg

Sleeping with mommy
image.jpg

She thought I had treats
image.jpg

I think she has put on at least a pound since we got her, all she does is sleep and eat!
image.jpg

Toa and Ross

Staff member
After these meetings one thing is very clear: Stella has to be renamed into Queen Stella:). Cause she cleary is going to be the Queen in the house. And she showed her knight Chauncey his place:). Hope Stella and Chauncey will get along soon

Yoda mom

Staff member
@JenFl , Precious pics!

You can try cross scenting a hand towel and placing by each other's bed and food bowl for positive reinforcement

I play with two pole toys at s time with each kitty in a neutral living room area
At their comfort level- brief minute or longer depending on kitty
Then leave into their room on a positive note ,treat

I also put up a baby gate zip tied in the full open position and then prop it length wise in the kitty room open door way - holding with my foot and kitty treats on each side- careful bcz they may try to climb it- tossing treats and praise
-again leave shut door on positive note-
I put a pole toy under the door so each can play on a side together

Just keep up the good work- she is doing great! Head smooches sent! Stella looks great!