Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New here from Texas!

Noodleskitty

Lairian
Hi! I am new here and not very forum savvy so please forgive some of my possible questions ect! I am mildly obsessed with sphynx kitties which led me here. I have never had one but I used to be a Registered Vet Tech and worked Internal Medicine for 10 years and had the privilege of getting to know some. In fact, my all time favorite cat patient was a sphynx! He was the most amazing cat I ever met and ever since then I have wanted one. Unfortunately, my husband is allergic to many animals. He is less allergic to dogs than cats and we have two small dogs but I am trying to convince him to get a sphynx. My argument is that since they don’t have hair to shed dander everywhere and they require frequent baths and can be wiped down daily (which would all reduce the amount of dander they are spreading around), his allergies to it shouldn’t be worse than it is to our dogs. He of course is apprehensive because he knows that once we get one, I would never find it a different home if his allergies were bad, he would just have to deal with it. Anyway, I continue my convincing campaign. I am considering kittens as well as rescues or sphynx needing a new home. The price of kittens is a little bit of a deterrent, but I am looking for any recommendations for reputable breeders in Texas. I am in the DFW area, but don’t mind driving. If anyone has any recommendations, please PM me. Or, if any other kitties need a new home, please let me know. Wow, that was long, sorry!

seeking2

Lairian
This is where I started my search

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Noodleskitty welcome to sphynxlair!
Maybe you and your husband can visit a breeder to see if he's allergic to sphynx. I'm allergic to dogs and cats hair, dander and saliva. So I'm also allergic to sphynx. But with good care and because I love them so much I don't mind sneezing I can handle the allergy.
Hope it's the same for your husband.

Good luck!

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My boyfriend is also allergic to cats. He doesn't seem to be hardly as affected by our sphynx compared to a regular fur kitty. He even snuggles them in our bed at night. Sometimes when they lay on his skin he will get hives, but it doesn't stop him from snuggling/kissing/loving on them daily.

I agree with visiting a cattery with your husband, or even see if any sphynx families would be willing to allow you to visit in your area!

Noodleskitty

Lairian
Hello everyone! I originally planned on finding a breeder we could visit but I can’t seem to find any that are even remotely close that will allow it unless you have paid a deposit on a kitten. I completely understand not wanting strangers in you home these days, but it does make it difficult.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Noodleskitty maybe you can tell in which area/city you live. And maybe some members here will invite you and your husband to come over and cuddle their sphynx.

seeking2

Lairian
I had to buy out of state. The breeder was kind enough to send lots of pictures of where the kittens play and live. She even spent more than an hour on the phone with me.
As I live in Alaska, travel would be difficult.
Fortunately also we have two great breeders here that are open for any help I need. They didn't have available litters at the time, so I had to look out of state.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Noodleskitty

If you can hold off for a bit you are welcome to come meet my cat. I am moving in a week and a half so I won’t be able to do it until after. How does that sound?

I will be moving near McKinney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I’m all moved in to my new place! Boxes everywhere lol, but if you don’t mind that we can set a date for you to meet my girl. We could also meet somewhere neutral if you would rather and I can sit in your car with you. Or I can bring her on her leash and we can meet at a pet store or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Noodleskitty

Lairian
I hope your move went smooth and I hope your kitty didn’t get too stressed with the change! I have had to put my kitty plans on hold a bit. I really appreciate your offer and will check in later to see if you might still be available to meet. Thanks again!