Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New here - picking up my first sphynx the day after Christmas!

Sphynx Meowm

Lairian
I'm picking up my first sphynx on the 26th of this month! I was originally looking for a dark-colored female but I fell in love with this sweet red boy. I've been calling him Benji, so we'll see if it sticks when I finally do get to pick him up.

My family had a sphynx when I was growing up and he's now an old man at 13 years old. He is such a special cat, so much so that I literally have a tattoo of him! Because of him I've always said I wanted to get a sphynx of my own someday, and now I'm finally at a place where I'm able to make that happen.

I've actually been lurking on this forum for a while just trying to prepare and figured I might as well make an account. Excited to be a part of the community!

I'm also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for pet insurance. Right now Pets Best seems to be the best price-wise from what I've seen but any suggestions are appreciated. Are there any insurance companies that will cover echocardiograms in the event the vet discovers a heart murmur or something? I know pretty much no insurance companies will cover preventative echocardiograms, but I didn't know if it was different if it was done to diagnose an actual issue.

Attachments

• 408714558_339411695483931_4339028605686130317_n.jpeg
    408714558_339411695483931_4339028605686130317_n.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphynx Meowm , so happy you joined in with us with your exciting upcoming adorable Benji Gotcha on December 26th! I can see how he stole your heart! members will surely chime in about your pet insurance question. the upper right search box for insurance should pull up previous threads on the topic!
oh! would love to see photo of senior nakid and name? and of course, please feel free to share your ink in the tatoo thread!

official welcome to the lair family! jump in and post with this fun friendly bunch! I joined here over a decade ago! my oldest is 13 now too!
sharing the link to the info center

I cant wait for gotcha day photos!!!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! Is that Benji in his christmas sweater? He is so handsome and cute. Do you have a pic of the 13 year old that made you fall in love with the nakeds? And what is his name?

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
welcome the waiting is the hardest part!

As for pet insurance there are a ton out there don’t just judge on price look at the coverage also. It generally does increase in cost as the pet ages.

I have Figo for my sphynxes and presa (mastiff) and Nationwide for my boerboel (mastiff)
I adopted the sphynxes and presa this year and had Figo with my previous sphynx and they were always great to work with. Their plans have changed since I got them in 2015 but coverage was still pretty good. Costco members get a discount on the premium.

My boerboel has been on nationwide since he was a puppy and the plan he is on they no longer offer. It seemed like they went back to the benefit schedule they had back when it was VPI prior to when nationwide purchased them. At least that is what I found when trying to purchase insurance for my adoptees.
A lot of people seem to have Trupanion but I am not familiar with them.

Sphynx Meowm

Lairian
I have Figo for my sphynxes and presa (mastiff) and Nationwide for my boerboel (mastiff)
I adopted the sphynxes and presa this year and had Figo with my previous sphynx and they were always great to work with. Their plans have changed since I got them in 2015 but coverage was still pretty good. Costco members get a discount on the premium.
@kauna I've actually never heard of Figo until now. It seems to be a better deal than Pets Best with pretty much the same coverage, so I may end up going with them. How has your experience been with getting claims paid out?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphynx Meowm , melt my heart Gibson is soo handsome! my one kitty has senstive tummy and sharing my pups ear hematoma went away on it's own after a few months. vet checked it and said they often reabsorb on own, did not do a drain or intervention.
hugs n head smooches , love seniors! mine are all seniors now too.

look forward to your adorable Benji upcoming gotcha!

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@kauna I've actually never heard of Figo until now. It seems to be a better deal than Pets Best with pretty much the same coverage, so I may end up going with them. How has your experience been with getting claims paid out?
I had them since Agnes was young. She had always had URI infections she was diagnosed with asthma and allergies. They paid for the testing and medications including 2 inhalers and dermatology visits for allergy testing and allergy serum. She was eventually diagnosed with HCM and saw a cardiologist and had echocardiograms done every 4 months and was prescribed 5 different medications. Everything was covered. I had no problems at all with their claim processing and was usually paid within a week of the claim being submitted.

Sphynx Meowm

Lairian
Finally got my baby on Tuesday and omg he is so perfect. He eats and drinks and ton and took to the litter box straight away. And I was so delighted to see that he actually buries his poop :0 my old sphynx doesn't, and his poops are sooo stinky and the smell just lingers and lingers. Everything checked out at the vet and they said he looked great! I'm so happy to finally have him with me...getting him used to my 50 lb poodle is going to be a challenge though :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_7938.jpg
    IMG_7938.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7939.jpg
    IMG_7939.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7940.jpg
    IMG_7940.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 33

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations…..Gotcha Day is so special. I look forward to you sharing your new baby with us. We just got our kitten before Christmas and we just are just think every day is so amazing and we feel like someone needs to pinch us.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphynx Meowm , Melt my heart!!! happiest Gotcha! did the name Benjii stick?
soo happy for you. I have have big pups n nakids and a bengal. I can share tips on socializing. they get along great. I always have had rottweilers and kitties and most recently australian shepherds and the nakids n bengal. I did super slow intros. I leashed my pup to me while kitties free roamed, let them sniff each other, calm praise. I did proofing on free roaming building up time . it was a labor of love and sooo worth it. they are besties!

hugs n head smooches, look forward to the name that stuck and pics of your nakid and your pup, all paws are family! hugs n head smooches
happy gotcha.jpeg

Sphynx Meowm

Lairian
@Yoda mom I decided to stick with Benji for the name, but I've been calling him Benjamin more than anything :0

He and Rocky (my poodle) are doing surprisingly well together! Rocky has always been kind of a scaredy-cat so he's still a little unsure, but the kitten absolutely LOVES him. I think he actually prefers the dog over me LOL. He's always trying to initiate play and rub on his legs...it's adorable to watch

Attachments

• IMG_8087.jpg
    IMG_8087.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8088.jpg
    IMG_8088.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 22

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphynx Meowm , melt my heart! thank you for sharing the adorable photos of Rocky and Benjamin (Benji) my pups and nakids and my bengal are besties too! so fun to watch them play together. lol like a heated moving blankie!

hugs n head smooches, keep the adorable photos coming our way!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphynx Meowm , checking in for updates on adorable Benjamin and Rocky Poodle. look forward to more pics and tales! what is Benjamin's silliest habit, fav toy? hugs n head smooches.

Back