Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Hill's Line

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I've been having food brand problems for years, I've tried so many different foods, and there was always at least one cat that it didn't agree with. Hill's just came out with Healthy Advantage line, and I've been feeding it for about 5 weeks now. It's amazing! My cats ALL love love love it, both adult and kitten lines, their skin stays cleaner and less oily, their breath is better, and their stools are perfect. This is a huge improvement, I would recommend it highly to anyone looking for a new food brand. (Hopefully it's available outside Canada) :ThumbsUp:

Healthy Advantage Pet Food from your Veterinarian | Hill's

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never tried it but will keep it on my list in case we start having food issues-Thanks!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for letting us know about this. We can never have too many food choices.

Sorry, but nothing Hills makes is even remotely close to what cats as obligate carnivorous require in their diet. Corn, wheat, soy, by-products, unidentifiable meat sources. Soy is a big cause of hyperthyroidism in cats, and the majority of Hills products, especially anything labeled 'indoor', contain soy.

Cats have short digestive tracts and do not possess the enzymes to be able to digest the carbohydrates. A cats diet should only contain between 4-8% carbs, most poor quality foods contain anywhere from 40-55% carbs. Carbohydrates turn to sugar, which cats cannot metabolize properly. Sugar, in turn, creates health problems such as dental disease, diabetes, IBS/IBD, obesity as a few.

Feeding a diet high in quality protein sources, very low carb, moderate fat content with no corn, wheat, soy or by-products will help preserve your cat's good health. This is the reason my vet clinic agreed to sell Natures Variety. Prevention is much more effective than learning after the fact(such as paying $1200 for a cystotomy when those stones and bladder infections could have just been prevented by feeding a species-appropriate diet).

Species-appropriate...

Cats are desert animals meaning they derive all of the water they need out of their diet. You will not find wild cats or mountain lions eating rows of corn or wheat. It's not appropriate and they know it. This is why they eat the mouse, chicken, quail, rabbit, because it contains all their bodies require.

Feeding them a high carb, low quality protein, low water content food is just asking for health problems. Feed them what they need, not what paid vets, or Big Pet Food companies tell you to feed them. Just because they are domesticated and indoors, doesn't mean 5heir digestive systems have changed any.

From an RVT at an AAHA Accredited veterinary hospital that unfortunately sells Hills and gets to watch the pets slowly die from being on such low quality 'prescription' foods.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I recently contacted Hill's about their food because I was concerned about by-product being listed as the first ingredient. That was alarming to me and this is the email reply I got.​

Thank you for visiting HillsPet.com and contacting us with your question. As the global leader in pet nutrition, our main objective is to provide wholesome foods that are carefully balanced to deliver appropriate levels of specific nutrients understood to improve health, while avoiding excessive levels of nutrients thought to have detrimental effects on health over the course of a pet's life. Meat by-product consists of the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat from slaughtered mammals. In many countries, "by-products" are very desirable human foods. We specifically use beef or pork lungs, spleens, or livers in our products for consistency and optimal nutrient profile.

Of course they are going to say they use the good parts of the (non-meat) animal but honestly we don't have any way to confirm that. Most middle-to-low-end pet food companies use meat from rendering plants which is horrible (Google it, if you already haven't). I guess I get hung up on the by-product thing... typically they consist of the leftovers deemed “unfit for human consumption†and I think that's just wrong. Anyways, this isn't a brand I will consider using but to each their own. Veterinarians do typically sell this product and considering a lot of them learn about pet nutrition via a Hill's Nutritional Consultant this isn't too surprising.​

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I still love Hills, that is all we feed and have never had a problem.
I did chuckle when I went to pet smart the other day and Hills is having a weight loss challenge.:LOL: