Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New kitten in heat??

J

Jinxlover

O.K. I got my new kitten today and I love her(no pics yet). Let me say this so you all understand, I know NOTHING about cats, and this is my first Sphynx. I'm thinking she may be in heat? She is VERY friendly,I mean VERY friendly. I know that Sphynx are friendly but like this? She is rubbing all over us and flipping her tail a lot. She was shy for maybe 2hrs and is now running allover like she has been here her whole life. How old do cats have to be to come in heat? I think she is to little still. She will be 6mo on the 9th of Feb. Can they fix her if she is in heat? I have no Male cats so that will not be an issue. I was going to take her in next week to get fixed. Maybe that's just the way she is?? Help!!!!!!:Dizzy:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She might be in heat.
I had Wrinkles altered last week and she had already been in heat.
Is your kitten from a breeder?
She might just be friendly.
I have cats like that.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Cats in heat can be spayed and she's about the right age to be experiencing her first heat cycle.

Sphynx are very affectionate cats. In heat females often call for attention 24 hours out of the day, barely resting or sleeping, they often roll all over the floor and vocalize constantly.

Brooke

Banned
Cats in heat can be spayed and she's about the right age to be experiencing her first heat cycle.

Sphynx are very affectionate cats. In heat females often call for attention 24 hours out of the day, barely resting or sleeping, they often roll all over the floor and vocalize constantly.

I agree.

She very well might be in heat, but it's also totally common for Sphynx to be that lovable the instant you meet them, too! Your description sounds exactly like my boy Nelson the day I got him (and he's a neutered male, so we know that isn't a cat in heat...). You might be able to do a youtube search for "cat in heat" to get a better understanding of what it looks like, though some are more subtle than others.

Congratulations, btw! You're going to love her more and more every day! I'm glad to hear she's not shy!

J

Jinxlover

Thanks. I looked on youtube and she is NOT like that. lol. She must just be a friendly nut!! She is from a breeder. I have never seen a nicer cat in my life!!! I know sphynx are extra friendly but WOW.. Thanks for the info..

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My bengal was like that at about 5 1/2 months! I paniced and she was spayed at around 6months. You can spay a cat when it is in heat its not a problem. Its amazing that they come in to heat when they are still really only babys though isn't it!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynx are very friendly cats.
Does the breeder have in the contract when the cat should be altered?
Wrinkles breeder did not want her altered until she was at least 5 months in fact I waited until last week because we were doing it between shows and she went in heat at her last show so I had to pay extra.
She is 7 months old tomorrrow and I am showing her.

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awww, Piglet was the same way when I first brought her home. The same thing (her being in heat) crossed my mind for a second, but I knew that wasn't it because I was told she was fixed. I just wasn't prepared for the sphynx friendliness after decades of having aloof Siamese cats!

J

Jinxlover

The breeder told me to try and hold off tell a year..But....I'm not sure I can do that. She told me anytime was fine at her age but if I could hold off it would be better. I have NEVER seen a cat like her, I'm sold on sphynx already. She is just a lover, rubs all over you, she is a kisser and beat up my 18mo old son for his froot loops this morning. I think she is going to eat my fake plants tho.

Brooke

Banned
The breeder told me to try and hold off tell a year..But....I'm not sure I can do that. She told me anytime was fine at her age but if I could hold off it would be better. I have NEVER seen a cat like her, I'm sold on sphynx already. She is just a lover, rubs all over you, she is a kisser and beat up my 18mo old son for his froot loops this morning. I think she is going to eat my fake plants tho.

That's strange...I don't know of any reason to wait until she's a year old. The sooner you have her spayed, the better. As she matures, and has more heat cycles, she has a greater chance of contracting pyometra- a very serious infection of the uterus. She'll also start to develop some habits as a mature adult that will never happen if you have her spayed before they become habits. (This is much more common in males, but female cats can also spray!) In addition, younger cats recover much faster from the surgery and the anesthesia than older, more mature cats.

Sphynx are amazing aren't they? I can't imagine any future without (at least) one of these cats in it!

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new companion! Stella was very similar. Very affectionate and acted like she's lived there for years!

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

:LOL:Welcome to the wonderful world of the sphynx! You won't have to wonder where she is or if she likes you - she will always be around & give you tons of affection!

Back