Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

New Kitten Introduction Question

I'm trying to introduce a new 4-month-old girl kitten to a 9-month-old boy kitten. I purchased a 44" high pet gate that broke as soon as I tried to set it up. The good news is that the company I purchased it from gave me a full refund. The bad news is that I am now gateless or barrierless. I would like to know some recommendations for either a screen door or a pet gate I can put in the doorway to block off the two little ones from getting too close too soon. Any help, or advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You should be able to go to your neighborhood superstore and get one? It won't be very tall, but it could do in a pinch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Sphynxingit ,
Great link by admin

I did a lot of seek peek n greets through the foor holding the door knob !:)
Amd giving treats to both on each side
Also put a cat dancer under the door extended on both sides of the closed door so the could safely play

I took a Walmart baby gate, amd zip tied cable tied in the full extended positition
Then turned it sideways I'm the door way so it was taller amd held it in place with my foot
While I let them sniff amd play as above.
Watching they didn't climb it

You could also get some long 1x1 amd staple on screen material
Amd attach to door frame with hooks ok top to "hang it" amd secure the bottom for supervised time too
Same ideas as Perhaps hanging a screen door I'm hooked to the door frame and eye bolt hook for the lower part

Thanks to everyone for their advice! I want to be able to put a barrier up that I don't have to constantly watch. I want them to be able to see each other all day long without me worrying about them physically harrassing one another! I think I might take a trip to the hardware store to see what screen doors they have.

Hope your cats get along soon! :)
We have a really small apartment and we literally had no space to divide the cats - they had to be together with each other. Everything was fine in the end even though there was some hissing and kicking but nothing too harsh. Now they like each other :)

@Izidora Thank you so much! I'm glad you chimed in because that makes me feel that there is hope. Your cats look like best friends now! Wow! My 9-month-old boy kitten wants to play with the 4-month-old girl kitten. The girl kitten hisses and growls. She doesn't want anything to do with the boy. It is really difficult to spread my time out between the two. The other thing is that the boy seems to play too rough. I think the girl is a little scared of the big guy. How did you handle things in your small apartment? How long did it take for your babies to become friends?

Well we could not arrange lots of stuff because, except for the small apartment, Joshira arrived by plane in the middle of the week and we're at work 8am-5pm so it was really scary to leave them alone like that but we had no choice.:eek: I know about all the process with babygate, other rooms, letting them smell each other, making them eat together, give treats together, pet them together, supervise them...but we could do nothing of that yet it turned out ok:cat::cat:

I thought it's usually that kittens/younger ones are more playful and older ones or resident cats don't want anything to do with the newcomers....but I guess it can always be different! My younger one, Silvio, is a boy and he is resident of the apartment. The newcomer is female, Joshira, 2 years old, she immediately showed him who's the boss. She is dominant and she hissed at him and smacked him for no reason well the entire month I'd say. It made me really sad for we got her to be his company and comfort, for Silvio's brother died of hcm. The two boys got along so well, within two days they were the very best friends, so watching Joshira kick Silvio around was heartbreaking to me. :( She did not harrass him for no reason, only if he would come closer.

We've had Joshira for 2 months now. The progress is slow but visible. From the very beginning, they ate together but seemed to ignore each other. Soon, Silvio started to show interest by wanting to groom her and play with her, but she would not let him. She would smack him right in the face. Now we got to the point where they stand by each other on the window, or Silvio comes to Joshira's blanket and curls up beside her, sometimes she even lets him do the grooming, but she still kicks him ocassionally as if she wants to be left alone. Now they play and chase more than before, but I can see Joshira still prefers a game with me (teaser-stick or stuff like that) while Silvio wants to play with her. At first he was afraid of her and would run under the bed but now he attacks her while playing, bites her and I am actually glad it's that way :D they do not share the affection as the two brothers did, but I am satisfied with their relationship. Hopefully in the future it gets even better. I hope your babies get along soon :kiss: there is no guarantee how fast it will be...as I said, Silvio and his brother were literally friends the very next day and this new relationship took 2 months and still going..

Here is a couple of pics from Silvio and his brother ( rip :cry: ) and Silvio & Joshira. Post some pics when your babies show some affection ! :)

Attachments

@Izidora First, thank you for sharing the pictures! They are soooo beautiful. It looks like you have a sphynx and a devon rex? I almost got a devon rex myself. I absolutely loved hearing about your babies journey from the beginning til now. I would have been scared to leave them home by themselves as well. Before anyone knew any better about slow introductions, this is what we did. We let our cats work it out. ;) I know, I know, this is not what we should encourage, but I'm glad it did work out for you in the end. I also love the name Joshira!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss of your baby. I can't imagine anything happening to my little one. It is heartbreaking.

Wabi is my older boy, and Nzuri is my younger girl. As soon as Wabi sees Nzuri he pounces on her and tries to swat, and bite her neck. He doesn't hiss or growl. He wants her attention and wants to play. Nzuri gets upset when he gets close to her, and growls, and hisses. They have slept about 1 foot away from each other for short bouts. Wabi will get antsy jump up and want to give Nzuri love slaps again. Ha! Like you mentioned, it is sometimes frustrating when you have gotten another kitten to be best buds with your resident kitten, and things don't work out how you thought it would. My goal is to be patience. I must understand that things will happen on their time. It has only been one week. :love:

Silvio does the same thing as Wabi, pounces on Joshira and bites her neck but you can see it's a call to a game. Patience, yes, that is what Joshira's breeder was telling me over and over and over :D I must have been boring to her lol, every couple days I would message her with sad smiley faces and saying how they do not love each other and that I am impatient and just sad...but she's say patience, you will see - if they do not try to kill each other within first few minutes, they will be fine. And so it was. Even though some people told me that their cats never got along, I just refused to believe it would be like that. And also, someone told me that even if they do not love each other 100000 %, that it is important to know they're not alone in the house when we're absent. So I guess they feel and appreciate each other, every day more and more. :)
p.s.
Silvio is a mix of donskoy and canadian sphynx ( i know they are not supposed to breed), I wrote about him in several threads. However, I do not know why he and his siblings got the coat. Genetics are complicated :p

@Izidora I love it! Your story is so great, and it kept me smiling today! I appreciate you sharing, and helping to give me the patience I need to keep a positive outlook on things! Thank you!!:)

A Donskoy and a Canadian Sphynx huh? Wow! Yes, genetics is complicated! Although I love the traditional bald sphynx cat, it is those one-offs that are uniquely unexpected that I have grown to appreciate even more. It reminds us that no matter how much man tries to intervene, creation is in the hands of a higher power greater than ourselves. :cat:

@IzidoraAlthough I love the traditional bald sphynx cat, it is those one-offs that are uniquely unexpected that I have grown to appreciate even more. It reminds us that no matter how much man tries to intervene, creation is in the hands of a higher power greater than ourselves. :cat:
yes but unfortunately this is exactly where man interfered, a breeder did not have enough knowledge and put together two bald cats of different genetics...and I was also not aware of some facts at that time and thought there is only one sphynx breed, didn't know about canadian, donskoy, peterbald etc. Now I can only hope he will be healthy, as Sphynxes are already a breed with lots of health issues and any "unofficial" breeding can bring even more damage :(

Be sure to let us know how things go at your lair :D

@Izidora Lets hope that your little one remains healthy.

Last night Nzuri cried to come out of her room to be with Wabi. She did slap him back a few times, but started with the hissing and growling again. She wanted to be around Wabi, but didn't want him to touch her. I will keep you posted and take a picture of their first cuddle session. Fingers crossed!

It has been a while since I have posted. But I am happy to say that things are getting a lot better between my two babies. Wabi still plays a little rough, and I notice bites on the younger one which frustrates me to no end. However, they can definitely tolerate one another more. Here is a short video of their sweet kisses.